Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jalapeño hot sauce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jalapeño hot sauce

i grew some jalapeño peppers in my garden this year and I made some hot sauce today and seeing how this was my first attempt I was unsure of the outcome. However I grilled some smoked Hungarian sausages for lunch that I picked up at the local market and I tried some hot sauce on them and it was good, it was so good I decided to have a second sausage for lunch. I asked my wife to try it on a bite of sausage and she liked as well. A friend on mine stopped in and he tried it and liked it as well so now I only have four bottles, but more peppers growing in the garden. There is lots of information about hot sauces available on line.
    The moral of my story is you can not tell if you like hot sauce until you try in combination with food.

We love the flavor that jalapeño peppers bring to the party ... but have a bit of a problem if there's too much heat. 'Guess all those years living in Norway (where white (bechamel) sauce is considered a spicy accompaniment to a meal) "ruined" our taste buds ... ...

Comment

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      It's all a matter of perspective, sounds like, MBMorgan . Thanks for the laugh.

Most of the heat is contained in the seeds and whitish membrane inside the peppers. You can adjust the amount of heat by controlling how much of the seeds and membrane you use, if desired. Another alternative is to grow TAM Mild Jalapenos which naturally have less heat. (TAM stands for Texas A&M - and I'm surprised a Texas university would intentionally produce a milder pepper... )

Comment

• gcdmd
      gcdmd commented
      Editing a comment
      MBMorgan, one of my kids went to UT and the other to A&M, so I stay out of that argument.

• MBMorgan
      MBMorgan commented
      Editing a comment
      gcdmd - very wise! Truth be told, I went to UTD (the Dallas campus) and was only vaguely aware that we even had a football team ...

• boftx
      boftx commented
      Editing a comment
      I was just gonna say what do you expect from an Aggie? Did you know that they don't drink iced tea anymore? Seems the guy who knew how to make ice cubes finally graduated.

Argoboy, will you share your recipe? TIA

Comment

Just have to pop in and say we use an electric pressure cooker to make our hot sauce.
      Takes 1 minute under pressure, bout 15 minutes total time to pressure up and bring it down manually.
      We use a mix of jalapeño, and Anaheim peppers to kind of tame the heat down to our taste.
      Peppers and Natural Vinegar with the Mother and the tart/hot taste is amazing.
      Here is the recipe we follow.
      Give it a try--it will really surprise you.
      Your pressure cooker can extract most of the the color and flavor from hot peppers in one minute at high pressure. This hot sauce  is a bold, vivid red and the flavor is amazingly bright with lots of heat and even a hint of "pepper" - making the fl...

Comment

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow, thanks, Cheef ! Nice to hear from you again. Great tip.
        Kathryn

I have done Meathead's Controlled burn Hot Sauce nine times (Batch X is a week away) and I always do a double batch. I bought bottles, lids, diffusers and shrink wrap from S & K to give away to friends that love my hot sauce. I eat scrambled eggs 4-5 times a week (we have chickens, ducks and turkey's) and I always use the CBHS. I have tweaked the recipe a bit to increase the heat just a tad. I am growing my own peppers and I can hopefully source all of my peppers from my garden soon.

Comment

Jalapeño hot sauce
        12 peppers cut in half with seeds
        1-15oz can sliced peaches in heavy syrup
        1/2 cup white vinegar
        1/2 cup cider vinegar
        1/2 cup yellow mustard
        1/2 cup molasses
        2 tablespoon coarse salt
        1 tablespoon black pepper and cumin
        1/2 teaspoon allspice, ginger, corrandier
        mix well in blender
        makes 5 1/2cups.

Comment

• martybartram
          martybartram commented
          Editing a comment
          Do you cook this mix or just leave it raw?

• gcdmd
          gcdmd commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you.

• CandySueQ
          CandySueQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Sounds wonderful! Thanks, recipe saved!

Jalapeño hot sauce
        i do not cook I leave it raw but I am canning so it does get heated up in the water bath for 10 minutes.

Comment

Jalapeno's are nice, but they don't make hot sauce. I like to start with habaneros (1 lb), cubanos or other juicy, mild pepper (1 lb) and something else fun (e.g. Thai) (1 lb). Smoke until soft and warm. Remove stems and add to blender with ground dry peppers of your choice (I like arbol and smoked habaneros, toasted), black pepper, honey, rice wine vinegar, salt, soy sauce, herbs, and any other flavor you want. Puree, them push through a tami (https://www.amazon.com/Chefn-Siftn-S...keywords=seive). USE GLOVES. This will hurt - clear the house of small children or other who are not 100% on board. Then bottle. Makes fantastic hot sauce!

Comment

• martybartram
            martybartram commented
            Editing a comment
            If you roast your Jalapenos with the seeds still in them you get H O T as I found out the other day lol

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, be sure to use gloves with those "mild" peppers, like habaneros! ;-)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Jose.png
Views:	131
Size:	256.2 KB
ID:	209747
          could not help myself

Comment

Jalapeño hot sauce #2
            I made batch number two yesterday and did one thing different, I smoked 20 peppers from my garden on my pellet smoker for about four hours, then I sliced them up, removed the seeds/membranes and made batch #2. I also added about two tablespoons of honey and I think the sauce is better. The roasted/smoked peppers add another layer of flavour to the suace and it is not as hot. This batch was about 5 1/2 cups the same as last time and uncooked.

Comment

I'm a junkie for habaneros, love the sweet core of their heat, so I made a big batch and used some raw and some smoked and combined them before blending. Be careful when you open the top of the blender, it seriously threw out some pressure, and damn straight use gloves. Froze a good bit of it in ice cube trays. When you want to add a good jolt to a batch of homemade pickles, pot of chili, or whatever, pop in a cube.

Comment

I tried this a week or so ago. I love it!

Comment

A complicated but very tasty red hot sauce http://amazingribs.com/recipes/condi...hot_sauce.html
                  Harissa hot paste http://amazingribs.com/recipes/rubs_...per_paste.html
                  New Mex green chile sauce http://amazingribs.com/recipes/hambu...seburgers.html

Comment

• FLBuckeye
                    FLBuckeye commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The Controlled Burn Hot Sauce is my favorite recipe on this site, bar none.

• ecowper
                    ecowper commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I love the Harissa hot paste Meathead .... It's actually my go to now. If I need a sauce instead of a paste, I mix in some water and thin it a bit. Still PLENTY of spice, even thinned out.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here