Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Conserva

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Conserva

Well, the tomatoes are coming in, as always FAR faster than i can eat them! so, what's a girl (term used loosely) to do? well, make Conserva, of course!.

Problem the first, I have no food mill. well, a nice metal sieve and a metal spoon do the job well.

Problem the second, it doesn't get over 100 degrees here, certainly not for several days at a time (thank the Good Lord) Solution: I have a car in my driveway, sitting in the sun. the inside temp exceeds 150 on most days.

So, using the old ways as guideline, I have cut my tomatoes, removed the seed and jelly around them, lightly salted with kosher salt, and heated on the stove until they give up their juices. once they are all juicy and falling apart, I put my metal colander into a large metal bowl and pour the tomatoes through. then, I put the colander back into the pot and start stirring and pressing the tomato pulp through the colander. keep stirring and scraping until nothing is left except the skins and a few stray seeds.

next, I take the bowl of seeds and seed jelly and pout that into the colander. any juice lost in the seeding process is added back. stir & scrape again. lastly, there is some hot, thin liquid in the first bowl that was the first to drain when the pot was emptied into the colander, before being transferred back to the pot. this hot, thin liquid is last to go through the colander and it thins and rinses any clinging good tomato sauce from the contents of the colander and helps to loosen anything clinging to the outside.

next, simmer to sauce until thick and splattery. stir in a tablespoon of olive oil and pour the paste into a parchment lined pan. put the pan on the dashboard of the car in the sunshine and leave it for several days, stirring daily, until it reaches the desired consistency. crack a window if your car is really tight to allow moisture to escape.

Once the Conserva is done, it is stored in a crock, traditionally, with a layer of olive oil on top to seal out the air. I'm really looking forward to my results. if it works, I won't be giving away as many tomatoes as i once did, nor will i be supporting the Heinz company and john kerry so much!!

I like ketchup, especially with scrambled eggs and on a burger. Do not like tomatoes.

Comment

I do a LOT of Italian style tomato based sauces so this will come in real handy. also, my BBQ sauce also uses a decent amount of tomato paste. a good portion of what i make will find its way there.

Comment

Interesting. Few finer things in life than a ripe homegrown tomato. I enjoy them on nearly any sandwich except PB&J, burgers, Caprese salad (who can't like that?), and I have even been known to enjoy ripe homegrown tomatoes simply sliced on a plate with salt, pepper & sometimes a little EVOO.

Comment

• chudzikb
          chudzikb commented
          Editing a comment
          When cutting my lawn, I will walk by the garden, and just start grabbing and eating the tomatos, not ready yet, but, soon!

• Karon Adams
          Karon Adams commented
          Editing a comment
          White wonder bread with Miracle Whip and salt. Mater Sammich. Miracle Whip is important for the sweet.

Originally posted by Karon Adams View Post

put the pan on the dashboard of the car in the sunshine and leave it for several days, stirring daily, until it reaches the desired consistency. crack a window if your car is really tight to allow moisture to escape.
        What should the consistency be? About like tomato paste or more like ketchup?

Comment

• Karon Adams
          Karon Adams commented
          Editing a comment
          depends on your target. I am looking for THICK paste. the less liquid the safer it will be long term from baddies. concentrate that salt and acid. I'll still keep it refrigerated once done and in storage.

• Karon Adams
          Karon Adams commented
          Editing a comment
          If you want it as a sauce consistency, that is easy enough stovetop. just cook it where you want and can as usual for tomatoes. but paste is tough stovetop.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here