Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hot Buffalo Wing Sauce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    Guys we're all friends here, let's work to keep the heat in the sauce only.
    Last edited by Huskee; September 14, 2014, 08:10 PM.

• _Keith
    commented on 's reply
    FLBuckeye, how is any of that relevant to how I make my wings? What do I care what the restaurant yardstick for doneness is?

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    FLB, if you worked at Bdub's you were doing it right, I love their wings. Perfect doneness in my book, crispy but not overdone, still soft meat. I want wings now.

• FLBuckeye
    commented on 's reply
    Keith- When you are cooking thousands of wings in a fast paced restaurant environment, you can't temp every wing. You can't temp 1 in a 100 wings. Guessing you have never worked in a high volume restaurant. Things get pretty crazy (I have a million stories you wouldn't believe) and the first priority is to not get people sick. The drums floating ensures that. Had a guy try to tell me that 12 minutes would guarantee that the wings were done. I gave him this scenario: at 7:59:59 a ticket pops up on the printer. At the same time, 60 wings (the max for a fryer) finishes their 12 minutes cook time. The shortening has not returned to 350 and you drop 60 more 40 degree (wings held at 40 or below) wings (roughly 6-7 lbs. of wings) into the shortening. At 8:11:00 the 12 minutes are up ( not really). The drums aren't floating but hey, it has been 12 minutes (not really). On a busy night, the wing fryers (all 5 of them) are constantly full of 40 degree wings. The fryers cannot recover fast enough and these are 135,000 BTU units, not cheapo fryers. The spec was for a crispy wing so that when the sauce was applied, the wings wouldn't get soggy. We sold a boat pile of wings (a ton a week) so obviously we were doing wings right.

• Papa Bob
    commented on 's reply
    thanks! for the sake of copy and paste go I, lol.

• _Keith
    commented on 's reply
    I find most restaurant wings overcooked. Even if they've made millions of pounds of overcooked wings ;-) The thermapen never leads me astray; temperature trumps time. That said, it's entirely possible that my actual cook time does wind up being closer to 12 minutes and I just don't notice how many times I've checked with the pen. Moreover, that's my taste on my equipment; mileage is notoriously variable.
    Another thought: food floating in the cooking medium is a frequent yardstick for doneness, but it's actually not a terribly good one.

• Huskee
    replied
    Great recipe Papa Bob, and your typing skills are getting better daily! You'll be a computer guy before you know it, lol.

Leave a comment:

• Jerod Broussard
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks, I really need to use all this Sriracha I got

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    FLBuckeye...was this BWW or Hoot's? I love me some BDub's wings...

• FLBuckeye
    commented on 's reply
    The yardstick for cooking wings was when the drums float in the oil, they were done. Now this technique is only based on roughly 15 million lbs. of wings (I calculated it one time - no exaggeration) so I feel confident. We would cook the wings raw and it usually took 12 minutes to finish. The fryers were high BTU units with good recovery times. We cooked at 350. We would shake the finished product in gallon platic pictures.

• Papa Bob
    replied
    here is my take on wing sauce for what its worth. ENJOY ~~Prep Time: 5 minutes
    Cook Time: 10 minutes
    Total Time: 15 minutes
    Ingredients:
    • 8 tablespoons Louisiana hot sauce (I use franks)
    • 8 tablespoons unsalted butter or margarine
    • 1 1/2 tablespoons white vinegar
    • 1/4 teaspoon ground dried Habanero pepper
    • 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
    • 1/2 teaspoon granulated onion
    • 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
    • salt to taste
    Preparation:
    Mix all the ingredients in a saucepan and over low heat bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally for 10 min and then turn off and your ready for ?????
    Serve sauce on the side to keep chicken wings crispy.

Leave a comment:

• _Keith
    replied
    I like to keep my wing sauce simple, and I've had raves about it. Melt a stick of butter, whisk with a cup or two of Frank's. Bam.

Dry-brine the wings, dry them off as well as possible, and give them a veeeery light coating of flour. Just enough to keep them dry, not enough to form breading. I give them about 5 minutes in the deep fryer at 375 (my fryer takes a long time to come back up to temperature, so dropping a dozen wings in at 375 generally means that they are actually cooking at 350). After about 3 minutes I start checking the smalles wings with my thermapen. Once they hit 165, out they come.

Leave a comment:

• FLBuckeye
    commented on 's reply
    Perhaps cut the Frank's in half and substitute the sriracha for the other half. Not sure how that would work out. Might just add some sriracha into the wing sauce next time and see what happens. Will post an update when I do that

• Jerod Broussard
    commented on 's reply
    No doubt. I love it on brisket quesadilla's...can't wait to make more hot wings.

How would you add it to that recipe??

• FLBuckeye
    commented on 's reply
    We had sriracha in a different sauce buffalo. I actually considered adding some to this recipe. Might riff with it next time. Love the garlic profile in sriracha

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here