Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need to up my pasta sauce game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need to up my pasta sauce game

Alright Q friends, I have snapped. I just suffered through another bland bowl of pasta with cr@ppy jared pesto and I have had enough. The gorgeous fresh veggies sautéed to perfect al dante and leftover grilled chicken were ruined by tasteless, greasy, flavourless green garbage from a jar. It put a bee in my bonet for the rest of the night, enough is enough!

I am looking for suggestions for easy, homemade, non tomato or cream based pasta sauces. Vinaigrette or olive oil based sauce ideas that can be made quickly on the fly are what I am after (@Ernest always seems to have these things dialled up). My bolognese sauce is out of this world fantastic but takes hours of simmering and reducing, I'm looking for quick and delicious ideas that can be made on the spot.

My first thought is to add MH's wife's Italian dressing to a hot pan, reduce for a few seconds then add the noodles and veggies/meat. More ideas like this if you would be so kind.

Thanks and happy twirling!
    -Oaf

Italian dressing (with a little fresh herbage to suit) works well. Any thickened sauce is pasta perfect. Béchamel, Veloute, fresh tomatoes, beef, chicken, etc., all work well. Try simmering some chicken stock,add the herbs and thickening with roux, cornstarch, etc. Add to your sauté. Or, just keep some roux on hand and use it to thicken your sauté. Easy peasy..

Comment

Fresh basil pesto can be made in about a minute, and is way better than jarred. Pack a couple of cups of fresh basil, a couple of garlic cloves, and some pine nuts (I use about half a cup) into a food processor. Pulse a bit until chopped, then drizzle olive oil in while it is whirring about, until you get the consistency you like. Take it out, add some Parmesan or Pecorino and you are good to go. No preservatives, so the green color doesn't last as long as the jarred stuff.

Comment

I love fresh basil pesto. I like to add a splash of dry white wine to my home made pesto, but it can also be used to dress up the taste of a jarred pesto in a pinch.

Jim

Comment

I second Yno. It takes about 10 minutes and it is divine. And fresh hydroponic basil is everywhere now, the only really expensive item is the pine nuts.

Comment

• LangInGibsonia
            LangInGibsonia commented
            Editing a comment
            If you use real pecorino or regiano that's not cheap either. But sooo worth it. If you've never tried real deal Parmigano Reggiano from Parma, do yourself a favor, find some now.

Originally posted by LangInGibsonia
          If you use real pecorino or regiano that's not cheap either. But sooo worth it. If you've never tried real deal Parmigano Reggiano from Parma, do yourself a favor, find some now.
          Parmigiano Reggiano is not an expense, it is a staple.

Comment

• LangInGibsonia
            LangInGibsonia commented
            Editing a comment
            You've got that right!

• LangInGibsonia
            LangInGibsonia commented
            Editing a comment
            By the way Mosca, I wasn't referring to you, specifically. I meant more like the "royal" you. Haha.

If you know of anybody that has a copy of "The Food Lab" by Kenji Alt-Lopez, he has a great section in the book on pasta.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here