Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's your favourite Mustard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I'm eating ham it's the classic French's yellow. Roast beef it's a horseradish/mustard blend. Burgers and dogs it's back to French's. All depends on what's on the plate.

Comment

Marauderer posted this a while back. I made it and everybody loves it. Very easy to make!!!! I leave mine with quite a few whole seeds instead of pureeing it. I like the pop they make when you bite em.

Mustard Recipe
      I found this recipe in Gourmet Magazine back when it was a bimonthly periodical.
      This makes about 1.5 cups
      It only takes about 10 min but you have to let the mustard seeds soak for two days.

½ cp mustard seeds (different seeds, different flavors)
      ¾ cp cider vinegar (I use Braggs)
      1/3 cp water
      1 ¼ tsp sugar
      1 ½ tsp salt

Soak mustard seeds in the vinegar and water for two days at room temp. (if seeds are not submerged add a bit of water until they are)
      Puree mixture with the sugar and salt in food processor, I use a hand blender, until almost smooth, about 2 min.
      Thin to desired consistency with additional water and season with salt to taste.

Chilled the mustard will last at least a month.

Comment

Sierra Nevada Stout and Stoneground ... and I've been known to mix up a batch of something similar using Guinness stout (reserving a bit for the chef, of course).

Comment

I was at a friend's house and he had recently returned from living in London for a few years. He grilled a flank steak and served it with Maille Original Dijon Mustard on top. I was very skeptical. I mean mustard on steak. It's delicious and now I used it for almost everything.

Comment

Originally posted by IanN View Post
            Well, it's been a while since I asked this question but we just finished a pot of grain mustard with this evening's steak so I was prompted to revisit this.

Thanks for the recommendations. Can't get all of the above easily in the UK, but for starters I've ordered a pot each of Zatarain's Creole and Beaver Sweet Hot so looking forwards to trying them

They both arrived in the week.

The Beaver Sweet Hot is, well, sweet and hot, and packs a real punch - an instant favourite with hot dogs and burgers. I wasn't initially sure about the Zatarains Creole. On opening it seemed to have a slightly odd, almost emulsion paint, type of a smell - only a VERY small hint, but enough to make me think "that's slightly odd" without really being able to put my finger on it. Anyway, I tried it and I needn't have worried: it's great. If anything it's milder, more mellow, "softer" and more rounded than the grain mustards I'm used to. In practise that makes it really versatile, going just aswell with salads as with meat. I've just had a good dollop of it with a plate of ham, salami, cheese, tomatoes, olives and leaves, and it's a brilliant accompaniment

So, thanks again for those recommendations

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here