Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Italian red sauce in the oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Italian red sauce in the oven

I do my red sauce (gravy) on the stovetop, but today I did it in the oven instead, an hour at 260° and then bumped to 325° for 3 more. (Reasons.)

Huh. It’s different. Darker and deeper. Not better, just different. It’s still really delicious. When I do it on the stovetop, it’s brighter. "New world". Like Mom’s. In the oven, it’s richer. "Old world". Like Nonna’s.

I honestly didn’t expect that. Thinking about it, I can understand why, a little bit. It’s like the difference between beef soup and pot roast, for comparison.

Just sayin’. Worth remarking on, to a bunch of people who like to cook.

Please tell us what you will do with this rich, dark, deep flavor wave?

Comment

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      I’m thinking, dine!

Some pictures would be awesome, if you have them.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim White View Post
      Some pictures would be awesome, if you have them.
      Sure. Not much to see, I wish you could smell it!

Click image for larger version

Name:	43614343-441E-4AF9-B60A-69FBE08B70FB.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	319.1 KB
ID:	1275751

Comment

• Jim White
        Jim White commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh my!

I wish I could smell it too! It looks delicious.

Comment

Interesting. We made gravy today as well. We had some leftover meatballs we needed to eat. We always do it on the stovetop. Now I’m thinking about using the oven Or even the pellet smoker.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here