Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Better Get It While You Can…Sriracha Sauce!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm more of a Cholula guy, but really don't use a lot of hot sauce

Comment

My wife uses it all the time, so I told her about it last week. It was out of stock at every store except for this tiny market in Divide CO, so we bought some. Of course this same tiny market also carries Whataburger ketchup. I have no idea why a tiny store in BFE Colorado carries Whataburger ketchup when no other stores do is beyond me, but I am glad they do.

Comment

Grown to really like this on certain foods over the years.

Comment

OT: There's no shortage of pepper sauces of different styles.
          But a sauce I found a few years ago that I love was 'Chunky Garlic Hot Pepper Sauce' by The Pepper Plant. I love garlic, and having it in a bottle (with heat) is great.

Comment

I think we are in good shape on just about everything. Someone on line convinced my wife there was going to be food shortages this year. We’re now the proud owners of pinto beans, ap flower, rice, sugar, coffee, condiments, and salt in quantities I would never have dreamed I would own.

Comment

Since this is a forum of cookers, recipe makers, and foodies (in the good sense of that word) try making your own. I almost never buy store bought hot sauces any more since home fermentation is so easy.
              Homemade Sriracha Sauce Recipe - Chili Pepper Madness
              How To Make Fermented Sriracha Sauce | KetoDiet Blog (ketodietapp.com)

Comment

• Bkhuna
                Bkhuna commented
                Editing a comment
                That recipe for Chili Pepper Madness looks great. Another project for the week. Thanks.

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                Same response. So many options on the market as well. Won't miss Sriracha.

That Chili Pepper Madness recipe for fermented pepper sauce looked easy enough so gave it a shot. I used mostly jalapeno and serrano peppers from my garden with a few other ones mixed in just because. Upped the garlic a tad and added fish sauce because..............umami............ Really happy with the outcome.

Click image for larger version

Name:	wahoo sauce.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	1259120

Comment

• Finster
                Finster commented
                Editing a comment
                Nice!
                Catchy name too

Saw an article today that reported the shortage is still going strong with the price for the 28oz bottle as high as $70 + shipping. Glad I bought two large bottles last year.

Comment

• ecowper
                ecowper commented
                Editing a comment
                I just checked Amazon .... I can get a 10 oz bottle of Fix Sriracha for $10, delivered today. It appears to be specifically Huy Fong Sriracha that is difficult to get and expensive. They are the brand everyone knows.

I've made fermented hot sauce too. Good stuff.

Name:	qOgsdC_EgFUM-rdTpo09v-TKld9aXETYKrjjbDeq7-nY6brgbwBDw5KZPcSeM5akwwtyfOoRgosmYkvWlwdnw6d8jA4djfg42DQdXbaPIxGAFbstf8hfhDrAMqNVMHKg5JVwA6Ag9AbV8uNBd3pmsk0zHeXWyq1TpnCAEGKXF8tqnYY77r3f2E0XUX-fynlqay1Cv9t5oJFPGgWfWkgrNk1KXHlIiA63rAa78kZjCSLY9VcQa09oE3hUu41bSid
Views:	124
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	1445094

Name:	vbOFzCBQchgc_0VODAIz4Qe4pLu5sSPo1AetaMQtEbu22YwYiIcBpQZUrwhHonCKOVSttxPAQp__Qhvo-8oXTxtRU9aq4vA2TiMkptxhYiRuCrg0g4m4NdzRY8DWSmGDHO5T9u1eW_pR9jWqQiA0Ogp_zrnZ9_PXn4Liwe5lBHoVf0SYIDJbmY92EyRWsMQ9p89yFVcb-lnfypb86QIsEbv4Tu8pKPdIlBcHDq0j4ehsErtQNok4O3gxTraqSzZ
Views:	112
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	1445095

Name:	4FXf7VowAgGLwqBkKAgoS69aFpIIYjmhQh6HwfzFTwoD5QrhIq5MjV2SINH-i86w_-JWUmd0CNF3LfBl5KDKcaAE9fxIMVkZRNxaj_XoSErIvXCXdJGSiOuKkvIqVJ_9FuAtVr3iLb9qqyB3pd141h5nS-nMDUb6seHdpTcvWrobVM9TUHmZcwf9PeA2DcMlMmyWmeU63zwdxFIc9M2tyTOUwkQYJdReqzMLDtU8GZvJtSdlHW46egQ31qQPUk9
Views:	119
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	1445096

Comment

It's all going in the Ketchup:

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	393.4 KB ID:	1445105

Thanks John Kerry's wife. (need I say /s)

Comment

It's really just a Huy Fong shortage... Yellowbird makes it (arguably a better one), Tabasco and Lee Kum Lee also make it. The Shark brand from Thailand is very popular with chefs and folks say it's more balanced than Huy Fongs.

Or, you can go a bit more old school and go with sambal oelek or harissa for texture and more serious flavor. Or, you can mix ketchup and a tabasco like sauce.

People need to untwist a bit.

Comment

There’s a TX company doing business in NC that sells Sriracha, but only to residents of those same states. Something about a lawsuit made them stop selling elsewhere.

CHA! by Texas Pete Sriracha Sauce is the perfect fusion of sweet and heat, with it's intense flavor it will always keep you coming back for more. Order yours.

Comment

The company contracted with Underwood Ranches LP in 1988 to purchase peppers for its jalapeno-based hot sauce, and the parties were partners for nearly 30 years. For the first ten years of their partnership, they executed written agreements, but they later turned to informal oral agreements.

By 2006, Underwood was growing 90% of Huy Fong’s peppers. To convince Underwood to expand its pepper acreage, Huy Fong agreed to pay by the acre grown, rather than by pounds produced, and take on the risk of a smaller yield. Underwood then invested millions of dollars in acquiring additional acres, many of which came with leases that extended into the 2030s and beyond.

In 2016, by which time Huy Fong accounted for around 80% of Underwood’s revenue, the hot sauce company told Underwood it would need to deliver peppers for $500 a ton in order to compete with other producers.

The partnership deteriorated, and Huy Fong began contracting with other farmers, showing them drone footage of a recent Underwood harvest, which it had promised to keep confidential, to show new partners how to harvest peppers economically.

Underwood had nothing to plant on the thousands of new acres it had leased, and didn’t have financing to plant on speculation. It was forced to lay off 40 employees, and lost over $6 million in 2018, it said.

A jury in Ventura County unanimously found in Underwood’s favor on claims of breach of contract and fraud, and awarded $13.3 million in compensatory damages and $10 million in punitive damages.

The California Court of Appeal, Second District, affirmed the award. It rejected Huy Fong’s argument that it did not have a duty to disclose plans to discontinue its relationship with Underwood, and therefore could not be held liable for fraud.

A duty to disclose may arise from a confidential relationship, and the relationship between Huy Fong and Underwood certainly meets that requirement, Justice Arthur Gilbert wrote for the court.

The most compelling evidence of that relationship is that for many years they entered into transactions involving tens of millions of dollars without formal written contracts, Gilbert said.

Edit: looks like Huy Fong needs some Deming in their business:

"The customer’s ultimate aim is continual improvement of quality along with lower costs. Judicious reduction in the number of suppliers, with long-term contracts, for any one item, may seem to offer tempting advantages. The choice may be difficult. The customer might be wise to divide the business at the outset between two or three suppliers, for further study. We pause here to recall a few facts of life. Any supplier worthy of consideration possesses specialized knowledge about his products—more than the customer can hope to have, even though the customer will be the user of the supplier’s product. It is good to perceive that customer and suppliers form a system, and that everybody will win on optimization. But cooperation is a two-way street. Can the customer uphold his obligations? The customer has barely enough knowledge to work with one supplier. He will stretch himself too thin to try to work with two suppliers for any one item. Neither of them owes allegiance to the customer. Each of them has his own interests at heart. A customer with several suppliers for any one item is accordingly at a disadvantage. Another point is that a supplier must be assured of a long-term relationship with the customer in order to make his contribution toward optimization of the system. A one-year contract barely gives the supplier time to get his house in order by the end of the year, at which time the business may go to a competitor. Optimization of a system with several suppliers for any one item makes good talk, but as a practical matter it is only talk, even under long-term contracts. Selection of the single supplier. Prime consideration. Has the suitor of choice sufficient capacity? If not, then he can not entertain any thought of being a single supplier. Two or more suppliers all pushed to capacity is not unusual. I have seen six. Sudden expansion of a supplier to produce the required volume may turn out to be annoying for both people, customer and supplier, because of variable quality and uncertain delivery, temporary though these may be."
                    Deming, W. Edwards; Deming, W. Edwards. The Essential Deming: Leadership Principles from the Father of Quality (pp. 124-125). McGraw Hill LLC. Kindle Edition.
                    Last edited by gboss; June 30, 2023, 06:36 AM. Reason: Edit: come to Deming

Comment

• WayneT
                      WayneT commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Dang! I haven’t heard Deming’s name in a while, despite his own prolific nerdiness. I remember him most in the context of Japan’s economic recovery after WW 2. He taught them statistical QC and boy did the Japanese companies run with it…then kicked our butts with it.

• gboss
                      gboss commented
                      Editing a comment
                      WayneT I believe a lot of folks focus on the "Quality" part of "Statistical Quality Control" and neglect the "Statistical" and "Control" aspects of the lesson. Deming gives a pretty convincing argument as to why they are requirements to produce 'quality' and stay in business.... Honestly I could talk about this stuff all day.....

• WayneT
                      WayneT commented
                      Editing a comment
                      gboss I read Bill Ouchi’s book decades ago, Theory Z, and how Japanese companies were rewriting the relationship rules between management and labor. That’s when I first read about Quality Circles and wrote my class business paper about them. I became a QC Facilitator and championed circles in local government where I worked. Continuous QC isn’t just for assembly lines.

Restaurants have to hide their Huy Fong Sriracha bottles or never leave them on tables for in house diners cause they won't be their for long if doing so. Huy Fong Sriracha has a cult following here in California and probably in other parts of the U.S. too. It's weird because Huy Fong obviously has pepper shortages but i can find Kroger's, Smart and Final, Tabasco and Thailand produced Sriracha brands on a regular basis, just not Huy Fong's. Well at least last year California had record amounts of rain as well as Mexico where the peppers are grown so hopefully it will help this years pepper harvest that Huy Fong desperately needs to get back to limited amounts of distributions for their customers. I really enjoy Huy Fong Sriracha, but will never spend $30.00 - $70.00 per bottle for it, ever.

Comment

I did not pick it up to look but at Trader Joe's their shelf was packed with their brand. Again ,I don't know the ingredients as compared to the brand referenced in the article. I have a half a bottle of Sriracha Cha made by Texas Pete. I do enjoy it and I got it prior to the shortage.

Name:	20230629_142558.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	1445161 Click image for larger version

Name:	20230629_142629.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	1445162
                      ​​​​​​​

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here