Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Doc's Texas Dippin' Sauce

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doc's Texas Dippin' Sauce

Meathead's Texas Mop Sauce has a bold, complex mix of flavors with a definite BBQ sauce taste. I was looking for something simpler with more accent on a beef taste to dip pulled or chopped beef sandwiches in, French-dip style. The result below is basically an enhanced beef stock with a BBQ attitude. It can also be used to moisten pulled chuck or brisket, to spread on the bottom of a sandwich as well as on the beef filling, and as a side sauce for beef short ribs or sliced brisket. I suppose it would be OK as a mop, too.

Makes about 3 C
    2-1/2 C water
    1 Tbs beef base (paste in a jar)
    1 Tbs steak sauce
    1 Tbs ketchup
    2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
    1/2 bay leaf
    1/4 tsp thyme leaves
    1/4 tsp garlic powder
    1/2 tsp onion powder
    1/2 tsp chili powder
    1/2 tsp liquid smoke
    1/4 tsp mustard powder
    1-1/2 tsp potato starch
    1/4 tsp salt & several grinds of black pepper

The water and beef base is used to make a strong beef stock. If you use canned, start with at least 3 C and boil it down to make it stronger.

You can replace the ketchup with tomato paste or a KC-style BBQ sauce, but I prefer the ketchup.

For chili powder, I use the AR recipe, but others are OK, or just use ground ancho pepper, or paprika. Tasted alone, this dip will have a slight heat, but you won't taste it on the meat. If you want more heat, your choice: more chili powder, ancho powder, or hot sauce. Aleppo chile powder would be my choice because of its smoky, raisin taste. I'm always tempted to add cumin because I like it, but I've resisted.

The potato starch is to thicken the sauce a bit. I used potato starch because I had it and I like the mouth feel. My next choice would be corn meal, which I use to thicken chili and beans. It has the advantage that you can just sprinkle it on without fear of lumps. Potato flour, rice flour, potato flakes, corn starch, or flour can be used, or nothing at all.

Mix all the ingredients together in a sauce pan; whisk your choice of starch and the mustard powder together with a little cold water before adding to avoid lumps. Simmer for about 30 minutes to meld the flavors and thicken it; adjust the salt and spices if desired. Use immediately or cool, bottle and refrigerate. I've kept it a month with no problem; you could freeze it in single-use quantities.

By simpler you mean 15 instead of 16 ingredients???

I'll give it a whirl my next brisket cook. I'll use it for the burnt ends too.

Comment

• Doc Hazard
      Doc Hazard commented
      Editing a comment
      I think I meant a simpler flavor profile, but you are right, probably too many ingredients; it's strongly based on MH's mop sauce. But you don't have to chop bell peppers or onions, or strain it if you don't like lumps. Probably a strong beef stock and some BBBR would work fine.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here