Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Controlled Burn Hot Sauce, method and review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Controlled Burn Hot Sauce, method and review

Ok, done.

I used Fresno peppers because I couldn’t find any red jalapeños. The habaneros and cayennes were from the garden, as were three small Carolina reapers. I was short on the cayennes, so I made up the difference with Fresnos. They have a nice fruitiness, and overlap jalapeños on the Scoville scale. (I was going to use some Tabascos, but honestly they’re nasty little bastards, all heat and no flavor.) I also substituted Grand Mariner for Triple Sec. Otherwise I followed the recipe as written. I used the AR KC bbq sauce. It’s pretty simple: prepare the peppers, then purée everything and simmer it for a while. Most of the prep time was spent cleaning the seeds out of the cayennes.

On first taste, as it was coming to a boil, the sauce was well unbalanced toward capsaicin hot. I added another third of a large red bell pepper, another splash of pineapple juice, and a couple more shots of Grand Marnier. I then brought it to a boil, turned the heat down, and let it simmer for 30 minutes. Final volume was about 40 ounces.

Verdict: This is a nice, flavorful hot sauce. Even with the Carolina reapers, it isn’t an extreme sauce by my standard. If you’re a pepperhead, this is about a 7. If you’re a novice, I think you’ll find it over the top. If you’re an extreme pepperhead, you’ll think it needs more Reapers. I’m not a fan of chipotles in adobo, but here they work well. And, this isn’t a thin sauce like a Louisiana or Mexican hot sauce, it’s more like a puréed salsa.

If you’ve made enough recipes from Amazing Ribs, you might agree with me that there is a general flavor profile that I’ll call "The Meathead taste". I characterize it as a balance of flavors, and complex but not busy. Here, the sweetness, heat, vegetable, and nuance flavors (lime, vanilla, balsamic, garlic, onion, etc) all work together. Kinda gourmet-y, but still down to earth.

Meathead adds a note at the end about personalization. Take it to heart. What Meathead likes might not be what you like. I could easily see someone wanting it more vinegary, or a lot hotter. I myself could take a lot more heat. (I might still toss a couple more Reapers in there.) Meathead says to use white vinegar, I think malt, apple cider, or red wine vinegar would work well. I’m going to let it stand a few days and then try a couple drops of sauce with a drop of each. (I’m not interested in making whole batches to find out!)

Is it my favorite hot sauce? Well, I like different things at different times. It depends what I’m putting it on, and how I want it to act. This will be good on eggs, on ramen, in soups and stews, and dare I say it, on bbq. I might pick something less complicated for pizza or spaghetti sauce. I’ve bought a lot of sauces that I’ve used one time and moved on. This one goes into the rotation.

Click image for larger version  Name:	81FBB9F4-8047-4AAD-B287-2AE73724D131.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.24 MB ID:	1111418
    Last edited by Mosca; October 17, 2021, 04:40 PM.

Mosca! Thanks for trying my recipe. Here's the link https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...-sauce-recipe/

Comment

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      Jeez, I forgot the link. This is a continuation of a different topic where I asked if anyone'd made it, I should have linked so anyone could've followed.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here