Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Move Over Frank, There's A New Red Hot Sheriff In Town

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Move Over Frank, There's A New Red Hot Sheriff In Town

My first batches of hot sauce this season. I picked all of the ripe cayenne and arbol peppers from the garden this morning and used a couple of recipes from https://www.chilipeppermadness.com to make these sauces. Coincidentally, there were just enough of each pepper to make a double batch of cayenne (20 oz) and a single batch (5 oz) of arbol per Mike's recipes. I used the Tabasco recipe for the arbols as they are somewhat similar.

Both turned out really good and we're very pleased with them. The Cayenne, or Louisiana style sauce has a nice richness with mellow heat. The arbol sauce is very sassy with a pretty good bite and lingering heat you get to enjoy for 10 minutes or more!

I used some high quality white wine vinegar and both are nicely vinegar forward as I used a little more vinegar and a touch of water to thin them down for bottling. There's also a batch of cayennes fermenting in the pantry that will be sauced in about 10 days. I think there's some Buffalo Wings in our not too distant future!

We also have a little cabinet smoker full of paprika peppers and the dehydrator is full of guajillos. A pretty good day!!

Click image for larger version  Name:	Hot Sauce.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1,023.9 KB ID:	1100357
    Last edited by CaptainMike; September 25, 2021, 04:23 PM.

Outstanding! On my bucket list. When the peppers come, they come in bulk. 🙂 I can’t eat them fast enough. Making hot sauce sounds like the right thing to do.

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      It's pretty easy to do, Johnny, this batch was peppers, salt and vinegar, that's it. And some garlic for the cayenne sauce.
      Last edited by CaptainMike; September 25, 2021, 04:41 PM.

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      The other thing you can do is dehydrate them. I had ridiculous amounts of peppers this summer because Seattle had a very hot July and August. I dehydrated all my jalapeno’s and then ground them into powder. Now using it when I want some extra pepper flavor profile. I also dried all my serranos and rehydrate them to make chili

Captain those look mighty fine. If they taste as good as they look, have a gem there. Thks for sharing.

Comment

Look fantastic!

Comment

Superb job. They all look wonderful, and I'm jealous AF...lol My gardening was derailed this year by physical issues(resolved). As I garden in Alaska, timing is everything. Next year, watch out. You and I will, hopefully, be asking who's stuff looks better. Judging by the looks of yours, I'll have catching up to do. Kudos!

Comment

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          Your growing season makes mine look year round LOL

• Strat50
          Strat50 commented
          Editing a comment
          Next spring I'll have two 10X20 foot greenhouses and the hydroponics to fill them.

Looks awesome! I'm just about to start my own hot sauce journey and plan to try both fermented and unfermented sauces. For those that want to try fermenting, I bought one of these kits which currently have a 5 star rating on Amazon with nearly 2200 reviews. You may be able to get them slightly cheaper from either the Costco or Walmart web sites (in Canada, they are $5 cheaper from Costco.ca).

US:
        Amazon.com: Masontops Complete Mason Jar Fermentation Kit - Easy Wide Mouth Jars Vegetable Fermenting Set - DIY Equipment Essentials : Home & Kitchen

Canada:
        Masontops Complete Mason Jar Fermentation Kit - Easy Wide Mouth Jars Vegetable Fermenting Set - DIY Equipment Essentials : Amazon.ca: Home

Comment

• pkadare
          pkadare commented
          Editing a comment
          CaptainMike - thanks for the link to that web site. Good thing today is Sunday or my productivity at work would have been suboptimal. :-)

• Argoboy
          Argoboy commented
          Editing a comment
          Glen and friends did a fermented hot sauce video on you tube which I found interesting/useful, I have made fermented hot sauce now for 3-4 years with good success, it is not hard to do. The fermenting kit is a good idea for someone starting out.

They look great!

Comment

Looking good Capt.

I miss making my hot sauces as my wife had me remove my planters last year. 😔

Comment

• CaptainMike
            CaptainMike commented
            Editing a comment
            Dang it, wives can be like that sometimes.

• Steve B
            Steve B commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah Mike. Not a happy camper about this one.
            Really miss my peppers.

But on the bright side. I am trying to convince her about having a small herb planter next year. 🙏🏻
            Last edited by Steve B; September 26, 2021, 12:18 PM.

I dashed some of the arbol sauce on eggs and potatoes this morning, so good!!! Definitely more arbol chiles in the garden next year.

Comment

That looks professional grade!

I just dipped into making hot sauce with some Carolina Reapers a co-worker grew...I buried them in the Controlled Burn hot sauce from the free side. It is amazing and I'm totally hooked too. Now I wanna grow my own, especially after seeing your work!

Comment

• CaptainMike
              CaptainMike commented
              Editing a comment
              There's nothing like garden to bottle!! Central Texas should be great for growing peppers too.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here