Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Salsa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Salsa

Been working on this one a while. I have it now where I really like it. It is 90% from the garden which makes it even more special but store bought ingredients will be just as good. I would call this a medium heat salsa
    5cups tomatoes (pureed)
    2T chile de arbol powder
    1T+ 1t oregano chopped
    1t garlic powder
    1t onion powder
    2t salt
    2t sugar
    1/2t cilantro chopped
    1T chiplotle powder
    1/4 cup minced fresh onion
    1/2cup diced annahiem chiles grilled and peeled
    1t guajillo powder

T=Tablespoon, t=teaspoon. Mix everything in bowl and set in fridge. Its good right away but gets better everyday.I make a double batch and let it sit for 3-4 days then vacuum seal 2 cup portions and store in freezer. Great with TraderJoes white corn chips .

We also use with pulled pork on a small corn tortilla with chopped avocados........it makes a killer taco with a nice dark beer.

Neato, I'll give my wife this since we have a molcajete.

Comment

Forget to mention that when I use my own tomatoes I cut them in half and squeeze the seeds and the water out and just process the meat part of the tomato.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        Dang, you really into it!!!

Thanks for sharing your recipe. Not much beats fresh homemade salsa made with homegrown ingredients(well maybe homemade pizza sauce but the level of effort is exponential). I prefer mine hotter so will be upping the ante some. I follow a similar process but I leave mine sit out on the counter in a glass jar loosely covered(to allow gases to escape) to let it ferment for a couple of days. Adds a nice tang from the lactic acid and sometimes you'll get a refreshing fizz from the CO2. For longer term storage I just leave it sit in the fridge once it's been out at room temperature for a couple of days.

Comment

Great LOOKING recipe... thanks

that much chili de arbol should make it fairly spicey I would think

Comment

Thanks for sharing!

Comment

I smoke my salsa 4-5 hours over pecan wood (pellets)! Made up a gallon jug to take to the Jack last year. Ran out incredibly fast. Doing 3 gallons for this year!

Comment

• Dr ROK
              Dr ROK commented
              Editing a comment
              Interesting, do you smoke the ingredients individually or make up a batch and smoke it in a shallow pan?

• Nate
              Nate commented
              Editing a comment
              Same question as Rok because I usually smoke my ingredients at a higher temp for different times depending on the ingredients. I also lay the cilantro over the onion discs to protect it from heat. But if I could make it first then pour it in a pan and smoke it I might try that?

It looks like a great recipe. If available, you might try it with Hatch chilies in place of the Anaheims. Kudos to you for growing your own ingredients. Store bought tomatoes just don't cut it.

Buen provecho.

George

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here