Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I fix Hot Sauce?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I fix Hot Sauce?

So I have been interested in making my own hot sauce for a while now and I decided a great place to start would be a hot sauce kit. So I bought The Chili Lab, The Homemade Hot Sauce Kit and made one of the two hot sauces. However when I tried it, it was awful. The hot sauce had good underlying flavor and heat, but it was just tasted too overpoweringly of vinegar, and not in a good way. Is this sauce a lost cause or do any of you culinary geniuses have a good way off taking the vinegar bite out of a hot sauce?

Add volume, earthy, sweet and salt.

Hard to say though without tasting it.

Comment

This might sound a little simple & dumb, but cut back on the vinegar or eliminate it with citrus, water or all three. Ya have ta put the "beaker" frame of mind on & experiment.

Comment

• AdequateEatin
        AdequateEatin commented
        Editing a comment
        Ah this sounds like a fun experiment, I never even thought of adding citrus!

Add more of everything except the vinegar. And keep the same ratios of ingredients. You can add 10% to 25% at a time until you like it.

Comment

Originally posted by AdequateEatin View Post
        So I have been interested in making my own hot sauce for a while now and I decided a great place to start would be a hot sauce kit. So I bought The Chili Lab, The Homemade Hot Sauce Kit and made one of the two hot sauces. However when I tried it, it was awful. The hot sauce had good underlying flavor and heat, but it was just tasted too overpoweringly of vinegar, and not in a good way. Is this sauce a lost cause or do any of you culinary geniuses have a good way off taking the vinegar bite out of a hot sauce?
        One of my kids gave me that kit for Christmas a couple of years ago. It sat around for a while, I finally made the sauce, then promptly forgot it at at the back of the fridge for a year or more. Not sure I ever tasted it, but as I recall, the process was dried spices and chiles, and hot vinegar. So it makes sense the sauces will be vinegar forward. Other than cutting with water to dilute the vinegar, which also would weaken the sauce, not sure what you could do.

Most commercial hot sauces have vinegar listed as the first ingredient. That is the main thing that makes them shelf stable - i.e. not requiring refrigeration.

Comment

• AdequateEatin
          AdequateEatin commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah I expected it to be really vinegary like crystal, but this kit took it beyond even that. It is by far the most vinegar tasting hot sauce I have have out of the 20 or so bottles. I will try water and see how I like it, then do what FireMan said and add citrus to a few bottles.

I'm not sure water would be the right approach.

Really you would have to make another batch with much less vinegar and then mix the two together or otherwise bump up the non-vinegar ingredients from the store, blend with the existing hot sauce which will reduce the % of vinegar

Comment

Last Fall I tried my hand at hot sauce and used this guy's website for a guide. I did the fermented peppers and they turned out pretty good: https://www.chilipeppermadness.com/r...ted-hot-sauce/ We are planting a LOT more peppers (90 plants at last count!) this year and I hope to be the hot sauce making Mad Scientist this Fall!

Comment

I make my own fermented hot sauce with the peppers I grow, it is not that difficult to do. I start with a brine solution, add the peppers and let it ferment for about two weeks. I thin it with vinegar at the end after I run it through the blender.

Comment

• JeffJ
              JeffJ commented
              Editing a comment
              I don't grow my own peppers but do make my own hot sauce from scratch. I roast the grocery store peppers on my big kettle. Puree with plenty of vinegar, bottled lime juice and plenty of salt. I add some other goodies but at the end of the day I love how it comes out and it's always a huge hit whenever I have someone try it.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here