Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pastrami question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pastrami question

I’m smoking my brisket today and steaming it tomorrow.

Question - Will it make a difference if I slice my brisket tomorrow (while it’s cold) and then steam the slices or do I really need to steam the whole brisket then slice?

Thanks.

Steam it whole then slice immediately before you serve. Don't slice anymore than needed. It will dry up like a paddling pool in the mojave desert..

Comment

• Ahumadora
      Ahumadora commented
      Editing a comment
      Personally I would not risk it drying out. It is only 1 brisket. I couldn't be stuffed cleaning a slicer for just that. Slicing hot at the table produces more crumbly bits to nibble on.

• Ahumadora
      Ahumadora commented
      Editing a comment
      Cleaning a knife takes a lot less time. Just don't let the wife catch you using the curtains to do it!!

• TripleB
      TripleB commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. Got a good laugh out of the curtain joke. I do remember once getting chewed out for using her good kitchen towels.

I’ve done both. Did you smoke it completely or are you using the steam to finish the cook? Assuming you smoked the whole way and just steaming to reheat, youll get better slices when cold and should only take a few minutes to heat up. I only steam whole if that is part of my original cook or if I’m taking it somewhere and want to reheat before I leave

Comment

• TripleB
      TripleB commented
      Editing a comment
      Taking it to 160-165 d., then wrapping and cooling. Finish with steam tomorrow. Will there be that much difference if I steam it whole or sliced? I steam sliced, store bought pastrami all the time. I have to believe that store bought pastrami is smoked to 160 d.
      Last edited by TripleB; June 20, 2020, 03:56 PM.

• shify
      shify commented
      Editing a comment
      TripleB - I always take to ~200 degrees, either from straight smoke or smoke + steam. When I’ve done smoke + steam it’s always been during the same cook.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here