Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Too much of a good thing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too much of a good thing?

Can too much of a good thing be bad.
    I think I smoke a lot, 4 or 5 times a week most weeks. Lately I haven't been as excited about eating some of my cooks but inevitably I do because it smells so good and I can't help myself.
    I'm thinking to slow down a bit and indulge in other meals that haven't been kissed with a bit of smoke just in case I somehow overdo it.
    I don't know how easy this will be to accomplish because I passionately enjoy doing it.

Wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

MORE IS BETTER! Maybe not always but mostly.

Comment

I think my wife thought I was doing it to much. She forgets to get smoking type meats out of the freezer.

Comment

I hear what you’re saying. As much as I’ve come to love the taste of smoked foods in just about everything.
        There is another side of cooking that does not go well with or benefits from smoke.
        My wife reminds me of this often. 😬😡.

Take shrimp scampi for instance.
        I don’t mind a grilled/smoked flavor in mine. But the other half hates that combination. Sooo 🤷🏼‍♂️

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          The last scampi I made was on the kettle in the DnG pan. It was awesome. Actually my wife made half in the oven I made the other half outside. They were both great but she too preferred the oven one.

Sometimes you have to appreciate all the other flavors of life. A good lasagna, tacos, fried chicken, curry, a crisp salad, etc. Not everything needs smoked.

Comment

• Steve B
          Steve B commented
          Editing a comment
          I think you hit it right on the nail. Huskee.

I'd say 4 or 5 times a week is a bit much. Societies who eat a lot of smoked meats have a higher incidence of stomach cancers, so there's a greater than zero risk to having any, I'd imagine. How much is too much? I don't know. I have something smoked about once a week. That feels like a good balance of risk and reward to me.

Comment

If it’s good I’ll eat it. Period.

Comment

4 to 5 times a week might be a bit much for me. At least week in week out. I'd hate for it to be like a job.

that said, I can definitely EAT bbq 3-4 times a week.... but 7 days a week would get old...

Comment

We cook on the grill 3-4 times a week at least. Not always smoked but always charcoal. Pork chops, chicken, steaks, etc. Lately I have been looking for other flavors than the typical BBQ rubs.

Comment

I do like to cook outdoors when I get home from work. Its a great way to decompress, building the fire, getting everything ready. (couple of cold ones by my side) I prefer to be out of doors as much as possible.

Comment

I do like smoke on beef and chicken, but occasionally do cook 'em in the house.

Comment

Hmmmm....
                    4-5 times a week, vs potential 21 meals per week, at 3 meals per day?

I'd haveta vote fer Smoke More...

Comment

• Old Glory
                      Old Glory commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I differentiate smoking from grilling. To me Smoking is a long low and slow. Grilling is direct or indirect at higher temps for shorter times. Wood chunks may be involved for smoke flavor. Just my thoughts YMMV. ; )

One of my motto's is: Everything in moderation, including moderation.

Comment

Obviously I eat BBQ, but really only a few times a month. I cook BBQ almost every weekend, but most of it is for other people or for the folks in the office on Monday. I just love the act of cooking, more so than eating it. (Don't get me wrong I pound some BBQ and sample everything I make.) I think the most rewarding part of this whole thing is sharing it other people.

For instance, I took a whole packer and a few racks of ribs over to the fire department in my hometown today. Sure, I tried some, but it was way more rewarding sitting back and chatting with the firemen when they were enjoying the food. The expression on their faces and how much joy it brings them makes it special. And I don't think you can really get that feeling anywhere else in life. Maybe you can, but I have yet to find it.

Enjoy quality foods, all the time. You never know what you will fall in love with next. I started cooking Indian food about a year ago and I love that too. The flavors are out of this world and so fun to play with.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
                        Richard Chrz commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Spinaker. I am just learning to make my cooks go to something bigger then a meal for me. I did a few pork shoulders for a fire dept this month, incredibly rewarding. I am going to do a few for a warming shelter this winter. When I started this whole process this year, I told myself that I wanted this to bring people and community together.

• Spinaker
                        Spinaker commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Absolutely. That is really what it is all about. And nothing can do that like serving someone a meal. Richard Chrz

Truly, words to live by... cookin fer others is its own reward, indeed...
                      Mebbe compares to makin music, fer others...
                      Same kinda good feelin, ime.
                      Spinaker

Comment

• Spinaker
                        Spinaker commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Absolutely. (I have no musical talent, probably why I haven't found it there. However, I am a huge consumer of music, I just don't give it back.)

• Richard Chrz
                        Richard Chrz commented
                        Editing a comment
                        @Mr.Bones. like you said, it is music, it is cooking, it is pretty much anything, Most things can be done in a way that brings people together, if you have that mindset. And as you are a mentor in this, likely to many, Community can be a neighbor.
                        Last edited by Richard Chrz; September 29, 2019, 10:04 PM.

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here