Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Change... my 2 cent worth.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Change... my 2 cent worth.

I have been the main cook in the house for most of my married life and by choice. I have come to realise not a very good one (acceptable) but that has been changing.
    The wife is a good cook because I had a hand in teaching her. She bakes and desserts 😊

Up until fairly recently in relation to how long we've been married, we have generally been very gaurded in the preparation of our meals. Pretty much the same familiar stuff over and over.
    It wasn't so much me not wanting to be adventurous but the resistance to the unfamiliar by others and a reluctance to change.
    I percieve most of South Africans to be like this. Change is a challenge and we try to resist any suggestion of it. You might call it stuck in a rut. This relates to most things not just cooking.

When I first mentioned I was going to start smoking protein I was met with skepticism and the belief that not everyone will like smoked meats... and this... and that.
    I can honestly say the majority of South Africans do not even have the faintest inkling of what smoked food really is besides the processed type 😭
    We have excellent live fire grilling skills but the low and slow is unfamiliar to most.
    I have been met with many challenges since smoking meats, especially in the acceptance department. One inportant thing I do not do anymore is tell people how and what I am preparing. Revealing beforehand allows them to conjure up ideas that they are not going to enjoy it.

I'm happy my family have come over to the bark side. This has also allowed me to free up my creativity in the preparation of the other mundane dishes that used to be . The option is eat or go hungry. They eat because it is so much better most of the time (I can get a little carried away sometimes).

The resourcefulness of the Pit has truly helped me up my game and inspired me to express myself more in my cooking.

This is still all a work in progress and the more I share my smoked dishes the more people are becoming fans.

Changing PE one smoke at a time🔥🐓🐖🐴

​​​​​​​

Congratulations on your growth, it is neat to hear about & see what you have done over the course of your time with us is remarkable. You have been inspirational as well as entertaining. Oh, and yes, it is mo better to eat! 🕶
    Last edited by FireMan; September 22, 2019, 05:47 AM.

Comment

• Texas Larry
      Texas Larry commented
      Editing a comment
      Totally agree!

Keep having fun in the journey, and chances are you will discover some folks who want to join you in the journey.

Comment

I find that it’s best to not tell anyone details until after they taste it. The mind can easily throw off perceptions.

Comment

• Mosca
        Mosca commented
        Editing a comment
        "This sausage tastes... interesting. What is it?"

"Groundhog."

True story.

• holehogg
        holehogg commented
        Editing a comment
        Making pork belly burnt ends.
        Huh. You serving us burnt food. No thanks.
        Yip its the food I burnt that you'll be eating.
        Mosca

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        "I love these Swedish meatballs."

"Bambi"

True story

I think that it is Wonderful, that ya even find yerself in a position, or situation that ya have th power to leverage a change in...

Doin so takes a great deal of courage, but can yield bountiful rewards, at times. Kinda a mixed bag, if ya will...

I also think that resistance to any Change is probly jus Human Nature; I catch myself bein increasinly resistant to change, as th years roll by, but sometimes, I am able to take a Leap Of Faith, an step outside th parameters that Life, society, an I have imposed upon myself...

Those can be, at times, very rewardin experiences; I steps right up to th very edge of th High Dive, so close that my toes is curled over th leadin edge, bounce a few times, then BOOM! I'm gone...Sometimes, there's water in th pool, to ease my landin... Other times, I learn me a lesson bout how hard is concrete...

Fortunately, I have a rather Wile E Coyote persistance, an admirable tenacity; useful skills to have, on accounta Life can kick ya right square in th Fork, sometimes, without any warnin...

As much as I'd sometimes love to jus cave in, give up, an curl up in a fetal ball, an scream until my vocal chords explode, somehow, I, thus far, have been able to convince myself to "pick myself up, dust myself off, an start all over, again..."

Each an every day brings new challenges, an sometimes (most times! ) unwelcome changes that I either gotta deal with, or curl up, as aforementioned.

So, yeah, as ya said above, it's a Work In Progress...

Reckon th most important thing is, Sometimes, I still step off th divin board....

Stay Strong, there in PE, Brother, an I'll reciprocate by doin my best, here, as well...

I always am delighted by readin yer posts of local affairs, or reactions to new dishes, etc. Sometimes, I can almost smell yer smoke, an I would be delighted to be right there, mebbe helpin tend to yer fire, or mebbe jus sippin a cold beer...reckon I jus don't do as much travellin all over th planet, like I once did...

At least, I can vicariously experience what life is like, there, through yer posts, which broadens my horizons, an expands my mind, an my skillset, so please, keep on a talkin to me, Brother!

Leave us jus:
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Keep Calm Smoke On - Large - 1024x1448.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	746345
      Have a most Happy Sunday, my friend! I shall endevour to persevere in doin th same, on this end...

An always remember that, at th end of th day, when all is said, an done... YOU, are th PE BBQ Man...

Comment

• holehogg
        holehogg commented
        Editing a comment
        I do not have adequate enough words to respond to this other than to say thanks for who you are Mr. Bones sir.

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Many thanks fer yer kind words, Brother...I constantly strive to be th Best Me that I can be, but as stated above, it's a Work In Progress...

Reckon it is I who owe yerself Thanks, as yer posts have taught me many things, enrichened, an enlightened my world, an my life.

Feel the power of the bark side!

Comment

• holehogg
        holehogg commented
        Editing a comment
        May the "Wors" be with me.

I grew up in the "if it ain't fried, it ain't done" world. Fried meat and fried potatoes were the all I wanted. I had no desire to change at all. Then I went to college and my eyes were opened. First was real Italian food, then Szechuan Chinese, oysters on the half shell soon after, smoked salmon, my world changed. I hope those you are introducing to change enjoy the journey.

Comment

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        Mr. Bones - I know zactly where you are comin' from. My wife is amazed that I can remember restaurants and meals from years ago, but forget to pick up 1 of the 2 things she asked me to get at the store...

• Oak Smoke
        Oak Smoke commented
        Editing a comment
        So the bottom line is, if you want to be remembered, serve great food?

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Oak Smoke
        So the bottom line is, if you want to be remembered, serve great food?
        Yup, in a nutshell, Brother...
        (If my car keys was made outta bacon, reckon I wouldn't misplace em, so often... )
        Last edited by Mr. Bones; September 22, 2019, 02:49 PM.

Congrats again! Leaving a thriving business to go into a food / service business and changing the way your family eats is quite the accomplishment. We, I, do enjoy our time with you and your adventures.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        PBC, Pbc, pbc...

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        What"s a PBC? Mr. Bones holehogg

• holehogg
        holehogg commented
        Editing a comment
        Duh. A Public Broadcast Complaint

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here