Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Split Pea Soup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Split Pea Soup

I was going to make Baby Backs yesterday, but the day was gloomy and rainy and ribs just didn't feel right. So instead I made a batch of my Split Pea Soup with Ham and Carrots. I added some Hickory Liquid Smoke, so it counts here, right?

Click image for larger version

Name:	split-soup.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	73600

I made it in my electric pressure cooker. For those that are interested, here's the recipe:

Ingredients:
    1 Tbs Olive Oil
    1/2 lb of split peas
    6 cups of low sodium chicken broth/stock
    1 large onion, diced
    1 clove of garlic, crushed
    1/4 tsp pepper
    1/4 cup cream sherry
    3 large carrots, sliced into 1/2" segments
    1 lb of ham, cubed or cut into 3/4" pieces
    1/4 tsp liquid smoke

Start by sauteing the onion in the olive oil until it is translucent, then add the garlic and saute for an extra minute. Add the rest of the ingredients and pressure cook on high pressure for 8 minutes, then allow the pressure to release naturally. (You can also do this in the slow cooker, follow the same procedure but cook on low for 8-10 hours or high for 4-5.)

The soup will be "soupy" the first day and leftovers will be significantly thicker. So if you like it thick, make it the day before!

I love soup, but there better be Minimal peas.

Comment

I like peas! I've been known to add frozen peas to split pea soup to make it pea-ier!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here