Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Southern delicacy.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Southern delicacy.

Fresh from the garden and hot from the oven. The tomato needs to be at least twice as thick as the biscuit and salt and pepper are acceptable. The only allowable change is a slice or three of bacon, but this is the original.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P_20190806_130232[1].jpg
Views:	247
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	726780

They put a bit of Dukes mayo on 'em down here. Not my thing, I love all the ingredients on their own but just can't get into it. Now fried green tomato and bacon on a hot homemade biscuit? I'm down.

Comment

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      Whenever I hear "fried green tomato" I think of "real good ribs".
      Last edited by FireMan; August 8, 2019, 03:35 PM.

• Donw
      Donw commented
      Editing a comment
      "The secrets in the sauce." FireMan. I’m glad I wasn’t eating Big George’s ribs that week!

• ComfortablyNumb
      ComfortablyNumb commented
      Editing a comment
      FireMan Donw If memory serves, they boiled those ribs. "It's hog boilin' time"

Favorite time of the year. All we have been eating lately are tomato sandwiches, even for breakfast. And we do use Dukes.😋

Comment

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      I also love a tomato sammy - had one yesterday.

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      Ceptin the Dukes. Not available in any store around here.

• au4stree
      au4stree commented
      Editing a comment
      I grew up on Kraft mayo and discovered Duke's in my 20's. After my Duke's discovery i felt my life before that was a lie.

Like ItsAllGoneToTheDogs said. Salt. Pepper. Mayo! Hellman's! a-ooooooooooo!
    Last edited by HawkerXP; August 7, 2019, 07:14 PM. Reason: b,b,b, bacon

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Dukes please

Weird sandwich

Comment

Comment

How long do you smoke that thing for? What internal temp do you take it to? What’s the recommended hold time? Dry or wet brine? Sliced, pulled or eat it off the bone to serve?

Should I soak my wood chips when I cook it, or leave them dry? How do I get some nice cross-hatch grill marks on it? Do you can it after cooking? If I hit it with a Thermoprobe, will I let all the juice out? Do I even need to probe it, or should I just pull it off when it feels like the flesh between my thumb and pointer finger?

Who the hell is Duke?!? GOD I’M SO CONFUSED!!! 😫

(Never thought about trying to smoke a tomato 🤔... guess what IIIIIIIIIII’M gonna do this weekend! 😃🙌

🚶‍♀️🚶‍♀️🚶‍♀️

Comment

• holehogg
          holehogg commented
          Editing a comment
          RonB just curious did you remove the pips beforehand

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Duke's Mayonnaise, that's the true southern flavor !!!

• ComfortablyNumb
          ComfortablyNumb commented
          Editing a comment
          Can them, although there is a bit of a discrepancy as to which method and what source to reference. ;-)

White bread.
        Thin sliced tomato.
        Salt and Pepper.
        MIRACLE WHIP!
        Proper way.

Comment

• RustyHaines
          RustyHaines commented
          Editing a comment
          + 1 Cheef. Especially the Miracle Whip.

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Miracle Whip......git a rope

• Cheef
          Cheef commented
          Editing a comment
          Back in the day Mayonaise was for fancy folks.

Ezekiel Bread, Cream cheese, garlic dices spritz of olive oil tomato salt and pepper here.

Comment

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          Woohoo that sounds good.
          Last edited by FireMan; August 8, 2019, 03:41 PM.

If you use miracle whimp, the terrorists have won.

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          In the same aisle as the nooses

• Bkhuna
          Bkhuna commented
          Editing a comment
          Willy - Megalo Mart carries miracle whimp for all the Yankees that clutter up the south.

• DiverDriver
          DiverDriver commented
          Editing a comment
          ROFLMAO - I cannot stand Miracle Whip. It is disgusting and I eat weird stuff. Kimchi, anchovies, herring, octopus, the thought of that stuff gives me chills.

Fresh sliced tomato between two slices bread buttered on the outside and toasted over hot coals turning frequently till nicely browned. I like to add thinly sliced onion. The better halves of my family like grated white cheddar or gouda with theirs.
        PS. Must have grill marks.

Comment

Love a tomato samich! Heavy on the Blue Plate Mayo down here.

Comment

2 slices of ripe tomato or one really thick one
            2 slices of white sandwich bread
            Dukes mayo
            salt and pepper
            Lean over the kitchen sink to eat it because no napkin and few paper towels can stand up to a properly made mater sandwich

Comment

Stand by plants with salt shaker in hand. Pick tomato. Sprinkle with salt. Eat. Yum.

Comment

• gcdmd
              gcdmd commented
              Editing a comment
              Ditto for ripe sweet corn. No cooking needed.

This is one sort of bizarre post. I'm surprised no one has drug out the whole fried green tomato thing.

Comment

• Donw
              Donw commented
              Editing a comment
              That thread comes in a month or so.

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
              ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
              Editing a comment
              I thought it was low hanging fruit...

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here