Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New toy (jet burner) and my first fried rice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New toy (jet burner) and my first fried rice

I got this sweet thang (http://www.gatorpit.net/phone/fryers-and-fire-pits.html)

It is as insane as it looks.

I’ve been yearning for a fried rice that I can cook at home as good as those Japanese or Chinese restaurants.

I fired her up and used peanut oil and let her rip. It turned out good but it had a charred taste. Was that the oil that was beyond the 450 smoke point? Or did I just not toss and move it around as much and the food was just charred (not the oil’s fault)? Should I use LESS heat? That would surprise me because they all say to let it rip.

Should I still let her rip, but just use less peanut oil?

It it was still really good, but it just needed less of a char taste. Here’s a picture because you’ll say that if I don’t have any pictures, it never happened.
    Attached Files

Nice! And congrats on the new cooker.

One suggestion though - ya need to add crumbled bacon to your fried rice to take it to the next level.

Comment

• scottranda
      scottranda commented
      Editing a comment
      Always trying to take things to the next level!

Not a fried rice expert. However, I know you don't need 300k btus to fry up some rice unless you were using about a 10ft diameter wok. Thus, turn down the heat. Good luck and that's a nice rig.

Comment

• scottranda
      scottranda commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! Yeah, it’s over kill for fried rice. I didn’t even have it turned up on high!

The burners are 160k BTU each right?

I’ve had this happen on my 60k burner

If any any part of the food chars it tends to flake off and mix in causing a bitter taste. You can lower the heat, or work faster with smaller batches?

Comment

• scottranda
      scottranda commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, it’s 300+ BTU. So, you think it’s the food and not the oil? I’m going to have to dial back the jets!

• scottranda
      scottranda commented
      Editing a comment
      I was working in smaller batches. Still charred. It’ll be fun to figure this out!

• Polarbear777
      Polarbear777 commented
      Editing a comment
      I usually add the food right at 500 so the wok doesn’t go over 650. You’ll know you are too hot when you can’t add oil without it igniting. Once the food is in you. Can crank it up a bit.

I have an outdoor CC stove with puny 30,000 BTU output (which I think is a jet engine!) and I've had one good fried rice and one failure using a wok. The failure was when I let it preheat for a few minutes on high. The second the peanut oil hit the wok it burst into flames.

I smothered the fire, dumped the oil, and poured in some new oil, but the rice still tasted very charred and burnt. I think when they talk about cranking up the heat, they are talking about a full wok or a kitchen stove.

However, I defer to the experts. FireMan what say ye?

Comment

I do fried rice with some regularity on my CC also with the 30k burners. For grins I shot it with my IR thermo and at 440 degrees in on the wok bottom I got what I like in a fried rice. Just slightly crisped. The burner was just below afterburner sound, and I was working the turning tool quickly and constantly so as to not allow it to sit in one spot too long. But there is a bit of art to that. Too frequent/quick on the turning and you won't get the crispy, too little and you'll probably ruin it. Practice Padawan, practice.

Comment

Well, it depends on what you’re cookin besides the rice. First, I hope your rice was cold & a day old. Two tbsp of oil is enough, & swirl it into the wok. Then cook your "longer cook" items such as garlic, shallots, carrot. Then turn your heat down to medium or not blistering, IR, a bazillion BTU’s hot. When you’ve toned down the heat, on my wok oven I raise my wok to a higher level away from the heat since there is no dial on a clay pot, stir the rice & shorter cook items. Do not over load your wok, 8 cups combined rice & goodies in a 14”er. Then raise the heat final two min. & serve. You should be good to go. 🕶

PS. scottranda & PBCDad stir fry means just that, stir. Best to use a metal spoon or spatula.

Comment

Thanks. I was using day old, cold rice. I should prob turn down the heat since I can freaking blast it too too too hot. I have a dial, so I can turn it down.

What type of of oil do you typically use?

Comment

• FireMan
            FireMan commented
            Editing a comment
            I use olive (not evoo) oil or peanut & once in awhile avocado. Yeah, ya don’t blast fried rice. Calls for a little gentler of a cook.
            Last edited by FireMan; July 1, 2019, 09:17 PM.

• scottranda
            scottranda commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks FireMan !

• Uncle Bob
            Uncle Bob commented
            Editing a comment
            Regardless of which meat I put in the rice I always use bacon drippin's.

scottranda

​​​​​​​Can you easily use a round bottom wok on this thing? Looks like the pot supports are permanent and flat. I prefer a round bottom because it’s easier to move the food around without any sticking.

Is it built as as well as it looks?

Comment

• FireMan
            FireMan commented
            Editing a comment
            Round or flat bottom has everything to do with the surface you are working with. With that unit, if you had a ring, you’d be good to go with a round bottom.

• scottranda
            scottranda commented
            Editing a comment
            Polarbear777 FireMan yes! Round wok from the wok shop in San Fran. I was certain it wouldn’t sit nicely in the jet burner stand but it is absolutely perfect. No wok ring needed (although I have one). I’ll have to vide record my setup.

• FireMan
            FireMan commented
            Editing a comment
            Cool!

Based on the above, looks like you can blast the veggies etc, then dial back for the rice.

Now you guys are making me hungry and I’m going to have to do some testing.

Comment

• scottranda
            scottranda commented
            Editing a comment
            I guess that’s why warping veggies for fajitas in a cast iron pan with EVOO works extremely well?? I’m surprised warping meat can cause an issue. I think I’ll have to play with the temps throughout the process.

Pfft this is how I roll

Comment

• FireMan
            FireMan commented
            Editing a comment
            In yer dreams! 👀

• scottranda
            scottranda commented
            Editing a comment
            A tsunami of fried rice 😋

What type, size pan/skillet did you use?

Comment

As others have said, that’s an awful lot of burner for a wok and fried rice. Those btu’s will take a 25 gallon pot to a boil in minutes.... I need it for my brewery once you get tired of it!

Comment

• scottranda
            scottranda commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, I’m going to tone it down. This is a lesson learned! That burner will work for brewing if I ever get into it!! You know me, I go big the first time and don’t regret purchases! That jet burner is pretty wicked!

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here