Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wednesday Meat Loaf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wednesday Meat Loaf

Beef, Pork, Veal and all the other yummies make a nice Wednesday night Meat Loaf. Mashed potatoes, green beans and Rolls makes dinner!

You GOT it!

Comment

Tell me about the gravy you are making.

--Ed

Comment

Mmmm... Nothing better than cold meatloaf sandwich the next day too.

Comment

Do you grind all that up yourself?

Comment

I need mouthwatering pictures please! Tons of information and help here, but I think it may be the food photos that push me over to edge to go cook!

Comment

• Karon Adams
              Karon Adams commented
              Editing a comment
              I can cook but I am NOT a decent photog. sorry, guys. that doesn't mean I won't keep trying, though. just pardon my bad pictures.

I thought I posted the pics, sorry. No, I didn't grind it, HeWhoMustObey picked it up at the butcher shop (along with 6 pounds of pork bellies for the next bacon cook) Here are the pics of the Meatloaf. The sauce was a simple pan sauce. deglaze with a small amount of vinegar, then toss in some flour and cook to toast the flour. add broth, bring to a boil and simmer to thicken. Easy Gravy. Meat loaf is moulded in a disposable aluminum pan, then cooked elevated above the drip pan so that the entire surface of the loaf can be browned and crunchy and bacon draped over the top for flavor & moisture.

Comment

• Medusa
              Medusa commented
              Editing a comment
              Sounds Great! Thanks Karon! --Ed

Nice job Karon!

Comment

This is, BTW, another one of those, save everything kind of recipes. Last week's Brioche you saw in the pictures was not all eaten. it is a seriously large loaf of bread for two people. So, last weekend, the stale left over bread was sliced down in 1 inch thick slices. used that to make a fabulous Crème Brule French Toast. LUSCIOUS! but, when making French toast, take off the crusts. shaved down the boule of crust and put the crusts aside in a ziplock. when I made the Meat Loaf, the crusts were crushed, panned in a 9x13, tossed with a couple of tablespoons of butter and toasted off for 10 minutes in a 300 degree oven. these become the bread crumbs for the meat loaf. thus ends the boule of Brioche. nothing wasted, everything used and in delicious fashion. So remember, nothing you make it trash, everything can be used for something. even stale bread makes a wonderful dish. of course, there are also croutons, and various and sundry herb & oil blends for customizing bread crumbs for various uses. they are also fantastic with olive oil and herbs to help bind meat balls for Swedish Meat Balls, Italian spaghetti & Meat balls. the uses are endless. of course, there is always the final option of feeding the birds. they appreciate it too!! Don't throw anything away! ever!

Comment

I know this is many moons after your experience, & I am somewhat of a greenhorn at bbq. But, I would like to bbq a meat loaf for some friends, since someone in our state up nort (that's a little UPer lingo) has done it at his restaurant & there was waiting lines for their bbq meat loaf. So much so, that we couldn't even get any. Now, after my winded intro, dumb question #1. Did you take the meatloaf out of the alunininimum pan when you q'd it. I have been told it would brown in the pan, but of course I would like the wisdom of experience.

Comment

• Huskee
                  Huskee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Welcome to The Pit, FireMan! I'll tag Karon Adams so she gets a notification of your question....

When you get a minute, head over to the Introduce Yourself channel!

• jholmgren
                  jholmgren commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I keep mine in the pan, but the sides are not very brown when done. Meatloaf is delicious but not photogenic (IMO).

This is the basis for my standard BBQ meatloaf. I make a few minor adjustments but nothing radical: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-UH9VX6qxo

Jim

FireMan - I take it out of the pan. Holds together well and cooks/smokes better.

Comment

Karon Adams beef/pork/veal is the combo we use as well. We glaze the loaf with a sauce that's 1/2 ketchup and 1/2 BBQ sauce and add some apple and hickory chips to the smoke box. I've done it 3 times now, and we never have any left over for sandwiches!

Comment

Hi guys! Sorry, it has been........ eventful.... around here. but, Meat Loaf.

I only use a loaf pan as a mould for meat loaf. I prefer to cook it on a cooling rack outside the pan. that way, I have lovely crunchy crust on all sides. Sounds like the BBQ loaf would be fantastic. I am going to have to do this. I can't understand why I haven't done it already! So, I guess this is my next meatloaf cook!! If you cook it in the loaf pan, you end up with the fats that cook out becoming a bath for your meatloaf. I do have a meatloaf pan with a platform inside so that the oil and such can drain off as it cooks. still and yet, I prefer to cook outside the mould. that is because I love the crust on my meatloaf. If smoking, that is another reason not to use a mould. the more surface area exposed, the more places the smoke can grab hold. Be certain to post pictures when it is finished, We'd love to see them!!

Comment

Good to see you back. All my meatloaves are done without a pan. Here's an example https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...906#post126906

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here