Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The hirshon south african on-the-grill grilled cheese – braaibroodjie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The hirshon south african on-the-grill grilled cheese – braaibroodjie

Or for those who prefer not to click through:

Citizens, your beloved leader is a known cheese fiend and is a renowned connoisseur of all forms of this noble and ancient food group!

Combine bread, cheese and live fire and you have a match straight from the dawn of human history – and no one does a finer version of this style of grilled cheese than the BBQ masters of South Africa! 🙂

Braaibroodjie translates to "barbecue bread," and this sandwich stacks slices of cheddar, tomato, onions, and chutney before grilling. The chutney is key: Mrs. Ball’s, an iconic brand in South Africa, is made from dried fruits and vinegar, but any sweet and sour chutney will do.

In Cape Town, summer means braai—the unifying tradition of good, old-fashioned, gather-round-the-fire barbecue.

Traditionally served at the end of the BBQ for good reason, because the temperature of the coals should not be exceedingly hot as the bread toasts rather quickly, so it is best to make your braaibroodjies only after the meat has been cooked. Wood coals always give a better flavor (than charcoal) to the toasting process.

I’ve taken the liberty of adding a sparkle or two of TFD magic to this simple but delicious recipe: I have added a bit of fresh basil to brighten up and complement the tomato flavor, use sweet onion when possible, use an optional 3:1 mixture of the classic Major Grey’s style of chutney with an idiosyncratic but delicious touch of Branston Pickle and add a bit of gruyere with the cheddar.

This is a sandwich that begs to be grilled outdoors, Citizens – I hope you will try this for yourselves! 🙂

Battle on – The Generalissimo

Print
    The Hirshon South African Grilled Cheese – Braaibroodjie

Ingredients
    • 8 slices white bread
    • 4 tbsp. (2 oz.) unsalted butter, melted
    • 2 cups grated sharp cheddar (8 ½ oz.) or try 1 ½ cups cheddar mixed with ½ cup gruyere
    • 1 large heirloom tomato, thinly sliced
    • ½ sweet Vidalia or Walla Walla onion, very thinly sliced
    • Salt and pepper, to taste
    • 3 tbsp. Major Grey's-style chutney, or another sweet and sour chutney mixed with 1 tbsp. Branston Pickle, whirred together in the food processor until relatively smooth
    • 8 leaves of fresh basil

Instructions
    1. Prepare a grill or grill pan to medium-high heat. Meanwhile, brush one side of each bread slice with the melted butter.
    2. Lay the bread, buttered side down, on a work surface. Divide the cheese between 4 slices, then top with 1 slice each of tomato and onion; season well with salt and pepper to taste and cover with 2 leaves of basil.
    3. Spread the chutney mix over the remaining slices of bread, then place them chutney side down atop the sandwiches.
    4. Using a grill basket if desired, grill, turning once, until the bread is toasted and the cheese is melted, about 3 minutes per side. Serve at once!

Yip very popular Braai accompaniment, but the different parts of SA have there own versions. I haven't made them using chutney but sure it tastes great. Cheese and Chutney work for me. I'm from the Eastern Cape, Port Elizabeth and the Braaibroodjie is more commonly made with tomato and onion only. Johannesburger's where I'm originally from (some 30 years ago) prefer Mieliepap with a braai. Mieliepap made either stiff (stywepap) or crumbly (krimmelpap).
    Thanks for sharing.

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      I was looking forward to your comments on this.

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      CaptainMike I need to share more recipes and accompaniments from this part of the world but just been so "consumed" by learning all I can about smoking. Since the bug has bit I think I have braai'ed twice in the last year.

• Jhirshon
      Jhirshon commented
      Editing a comment
      Glad you liked it!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here