Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking forward to tomorrows cook.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking forward to tomorrows cook.

I know for a fact there are very few people in SA who really appreciate the effort that goes into smoking meat from prep to end result (don’t know if the same applies in your part of the world).
    Tomorrow morn will be up at 4am to have the smoker ready to roll latest 5am.
    I spent the best part of 5 hours deboning 2 briskets and preparing 2 pork shoulders for a 30 hour dry brine yesterday evening. The briskets bone in weighed a total 19.8 Kg (43 pounds) not too what sure the nett weight is but estimate around 33 pounds. The butts weighed +- 8 pounds each.
    The party is for 50 guests and the host bought the meat that is not near the same quality I have purchased in the past. It is really hard to get decent brisket this side and I say this because if I compare it with your pic’s it almost looks as if our animals have a serious case of anorexia. Pork is fine. I am really looking forward to the task ahead and the only downside is I would love to have done them on my kettle.
    MMD for the butts and Dalmatian for the brisket.

Sounds like fun! Keep us in the loop.

Comment

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      Will do.

It is a chore, but I find it funny that I will cheerfully get up at 5 to smoke some meat but when I get up at 7 to come to work I am not happy at all!

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Amen, an Hallelujah to THAT, brother!!!!

Mebbe, we have a Higher Callin?

• Chuck T
      Chuck T commented
      Editing a comment
      I’m a little jealous that you don’t get up until 7 for work!

• klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      Mr. Bones, got to work on my skills some more first. Chuck t, 7 is a recent change. Was much earlier.

Could you post a photo of one of your large briskets? The ones I see are boneless, and top out around 20 lbs.

Comment

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      Did not take pics of these ones before or after and already in cook chamber but have pics of last one. Will post when can.

Nice! Have a great party. Don't forget to send us some pics!

Comment

3.5 hours into cook and one brisket in stall other not far off. Butts getting close.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20181117_103154.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	593778

Comment

• Ahumadora
        Ahumadora commented
        Editing a comment
        Crank it up if you feel it is not going fast enough. I cook mostly at 300-325f now. You can always detune it in the last part of the cook.

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree with Ahumadora.

• holehogg
        holehogg commented
        Editing a comment
        Ahumadora RonB thx guys going to do that.

9 hours down the road.

Name:	20181117_152501.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	593805

Comment

I have 4 hours to dish time and there are my temps. I'm anxious.

Name:	20181117_153948.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	593813

Comment

• Ahumadora
          Ahumadora commented
          Editing a comment
          Dial up the temp and relax with a beer. You can always let it rest until dinner.

Looking good. Are you going to wrap it all? I am in the same boat as you. Briskets down here are small and thin usually. Not like the feedlot ones I see on the net.

Comment

Have never wrapped. But want to give it a go someday.

Comment

Well.....how are things going since your post this morning? I would love to see the finished product.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here