Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Monday's National "Braai" day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monday's National "Braai" day

As mentioned in the latest Smoke Signals its national "Braai" day on Monday in South Africa and it’s a public holiday. Millions of SA people will be doing their thing on the day some even start today and keep the fire going until Monday. Well the advertorials have been focused on the upcoming day and this one caught my eye in particular. Read the small print on how to prepare it. It must be said that very few and I mean very few people in the country use thermometers to check meat doneness let alone cooker temps.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180921_185936.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	569059Click image for larger version

Name:	20180921_185947.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	569060

I have convinced a few friends to buy a meat thermometer and I know they have yet to use them. I have come across people in PE that believe they are "The Butt and Brisket smokers" that don’t use them. I asked a food truck vendor what temps he smokes at and he mentioned 225. I asked Fahrenheit or Celsius and all I got was a blank look. I asked how long it takes to cook. 2 to 3 hours top’s the answer. When I sampled the Butt it was dry and stringy. I gave him the pleasure of removing the shoulder blade from my Butt that slid out without any effort. His face said it all and he promptly pulled a piece off to try. I told him his 225 cooking temp should actually be 107 C. I won’t go into the whole discussion in detail but he did not even have anything to monitor his cooking chamber he mentioned the one he had, had got burnt during a cook.

All our friends love my Q - beef or pork. However, telling them to get a good thermometer falls on deaf ears...

Comment

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      Very strange but so true.....

Doing the good works, holehogg !

Comment

I agree totally with EdF in that you are doing good works spreading the use of thermometers. I think many of us are of that age when direct over the fire, over high heat, and burnt or dried out was the way our fathers grilled meat. We all probably did it ourselves until we learned better. And what a difference just knowing the two basics of what is the cooking temp, and what is the internal temp of the meat can mean to the finished product. 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻 @holehog

Comment

• holehogg
        holehogg commented
        Editing a comment
        Yip.

To celebrate what do we have to cook or just cook meat.

Comment

• holehogg
        holehogg commented
        Editing a comment
        I'll be doing chicken sosaties, boerewors lamb chops and maybe a pork chop. Meat it is on a live fire.

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        Live Fire 🔥 Yes!

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here