Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Guinness-Braised Shepherd's Pie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guinness-Braised Shepherd's Pie

I amalgamated/combined/modified/adapted this recipe from 2 different TV chefs: Alton Brown and Melissa d'Arabian. I make it with turkey but it is great with either lamb (shepherd's pie) or beef (cottage pie).

INGREDIENTS
    Garlicky Potato Topping:
    4 large russet potatoes (2-2 1/2 lbs), peeled and quartered
    10 whole garlic cloves, peeled
    1/2 cup light cream
    1/4 to 1/2 cup beef broth
    4 tablespoons butter, softened
    3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    Nonstick cooking spray

Filling:
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    2 medium onions, chopped
    1/2 teaspoon salt, plus 1/2 teaspoon
    1 teaspoon sugar
    1 - 1 ½ pounds ground beef, lamb or turkey

Next 2 Together
    2 Cups fozen peas and carrots combination (or one cup each peas and diced carrots)
    2 garlic cloves, minced

2 tablespoons tomato paste
    1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
    1 bottle or can of stout, porter or other dark beer

Next 5 Together
    1/2 cup beef broth

1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
    1 teaspoon finely minced fresh rosemary leaves
    ½ teaspoon dried thyme leaves
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

DIRECTIONS
    Prepare potato topping: In a large saucepan add the potatoes and garlic and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil over medium heat and cook, uncovered, until the potatoes are fork-tender, about 15 to 20 minutes. Drain. Transfer the potatoes and garlic to a large bowl. Add the cream, 1/4 cup of the broth, butter, salt and pepper, and beat on low speed with a hand mixer until the potatoes are light and fluffy, about 1 to 2 minutes. If the mixture is too dry, add the remaining 1/4 cup broth a little at a time. Do not overmix. Potatoes should be fairly firm, not runny, but not super stiff. You want to be able to pipe or spread them over the wet filling. Cover and set aside.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Spray a 10-inch round baking dish with nonstick spray.

Prepare filling: Heat a large skillet over medium heat.
    Add the oil over medium heat.
    Add the onions and 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are very soft and just beginning to brown, about 10 minutes.
    Sprinkle in the sugar, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are well-caramelized, about 3 minutes.
    Stir in the ground meat and cook, stirring occasionally, over medium-high heat, until the it begins to brown, about 7 minutes.
    Sprinkle the meat with the flour and toss to coat, continuing to cook for another minute.
    Add the carrots, peas, and garlic and cook, stirring, until the vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
    Stir in the tomato paste and cook, stirring, until well blended, about 2 minutes.
    Add the beer, bring to a boil and boil for 3 minutes, scraping up the Brown stuff from the bottom of the pan as you do.
    Add the broth, Worcestershire, rosemary, thyme, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and the pepper, and bring to a boil.
    Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, until the sauce thickens, about 15 minutes.

Assemble and Bake:
    Spoon the meat mixture into the prepared baking dish and even it out . Spread or pipe the potato topping evenly over the beef mixture. Bake until the filling is hot, the topping is lightly browned and the edges are bubbly, about 45 minutes. Let rest out of the oven for 10 minutes before serving. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
    Last edited by Dewesq55; January 18, 2015, 11:32 AM.

You had me at Guiness-braised... Nice one!

Comment

Excellent!

Comment

Sounds very similar to a recipe I use.
        A scotsman's shepherd's pie.
        Outstanding dish but I have to use beef because nobody else would even try the lamb.

Comment

Yep! This one caught my eye!

Comment

I recall seeing this before but didn't copy it. It will now be in my recipies. Sounds great.

Comment

Sounds delicious and perfect timing posting this before winter sets in.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here