Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"revoltillos"-odd-recipe-found-in-an-old-cookbook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Revoltillos": odd recipe found in an old cookbook

I found an old cookbook from my bachelor days, The Fanny Farmer Cookbook from 1980. I enjoy looking though old cookbooks; I used to clip recipes and stick them between the pages, for one, but also even though 1980 is recent enough to me that I remember it pretty well, it was also almost 40 years ago, and food has changed since then, and tastes have changed since then.

Anyhow, in the "Beef" section, I came across a recipe that I’d never heard of before, even though it sounds familiar I’m sure I’ve never made it, tasted it, nor even even heard of it: Revoltillos. So I read the recipe, and then I decided to maybe look it up on the internet and see the different variations, and you know what? All the recipes refer to The Fanny Farmer Cookbook as the source! There are a couple recipes that are scaled, and one that varied the proportions a bit. But it appears that this is a singular creation.

1/4 cup oil
    3 green peppers, chopped
    3 onions, chopped
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    2 lbs chopped beef
    3/4 cup raisins
    3/4 cup ripe olives
    5 bay leaves
    2 cups beef broth
    1 cup rice

Heat the oil, sauté the vegetables, add beef and break it up with a fork, cook until it loses its pink color. Add the raisins, olives, and bay leaves, cover and simmer 30 minutes. Remove the bay leaves. Meanwhile bring the beef broth to a boil in a saucepan and slowly add the rice. Shake the pan so the rice will level and cook evenly. [huh???] When liquid is absorbed, toss the rice with a fork, add to the meat mixture, and serve.

Honestly, I have no idea what this would taste like. Middle Eastern, maybe? Moroccan? That’s an awful lot of casserole to make for just me and Mrs Mosca.

Interesting but not really Moroccan, would have to include cumin, nutmeg, all spice, cinnamon etc. but hey give it a go and post the result. Maybe a new forum....Vintage Dishes !!!

Comment

Sounds like a good rice bowl. I don't know where the Moroccan came in?

Almost like a picadillo W/rice / empanadas filling.

Comment

I'm with Homes, that's picadillo. Missing spices though.

Comment

I was just guessing at the Moroccan. But I still can’t imagine what it tastes like.

Comment

I cannot see it tasting bad. Probably sweet from the raisins, and maybe somewhat savory. It needs salt or something though I would think....

Comment

Sounds good to me.

Comment

I have a cabinet that's full of old cookbooks. Some were my mothers with recipes clipped out of newspapers and magazines stuck between the pages. I need to look through them more often. Get too dependent relying on the www for new ideas.

Interesting recipe. I'm not a olive fan. Not sure how that brine of the olives would fit in with the other ingredients. Give it a try and post your review.

Comment

• gcdmd
                  gcdmd commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Green olives are a common ingredient in some arroz con pollo and paella recipes.

I believe it would be considered Cuban. I serve it over rice, not in the dish. Here is the picadillo recipe I have:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20180222-060517.png Views:	1 Size:	73.8 KB ID:	458311 ​​​​​​

Comment

I believe there is a North African influence in Iberian and Iberoamerican cooking due to the Moorish occupation of Spain.

The Spanish and Portuguese word for rice, arroz (arros in Catalan), is derived from the Arabic ("aruz"), not Latin ("oriza"), but both came from Greek ("oryza").
                  Last edited by gcdmd; February 24, 2018, 04:08 PM.

Comment

I'm going to scale it waaaay back, do about 1/3 of that recipe, and see what happens. Even still, it's back-burnered until I get through a lot of other stuff first.

Comment

It's like old-school hamburger helper

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here