Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meatloaf with Creamy Onion Gravy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recipe from local newspaper, adapted from Food & Wine Magazine. Also adapted to include directions for smoking.

Meatloaf makes 6 servings. Gravy makes 5 cups.

Ingredients:
    For Meatloaf
    1/2 tablespoon olive oil
    1/2 large onion finely chopped
    1 large carrot finely chopped
    1/2 rib celery finely chopped
    1 garlic clove minced
    3/4 cup panko bread crumbs
    2 large eggs
    1 tablespoon Dijon style mustard
    1 tablespoon ketchup
    1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce Franks or Sriracha
    1 1/2 pound ground beef chuck
    1/2 pound ground pork
    1/4 pound Monterey Jack cheese cut into 1/2 inch cubes
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper freshly ground
    1 tablespoon kosher salt
    For Creamy Onion Gravy
    2 tablespoons unsalted butter
    2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
    2 large white onions thinly sliced (about 6 cups)
    1/4 cup all purpose flour
    1 quart chicken broth or stock
    1 cup heavy cream
    kosher salt
    black pepper freshly ground

For the Meatloaf

Heat oven to 400 degrees or smoker with a fruit wood to 225.

In a medium skillet, heat the oil. Add the onion, carrots, celery and garlic. Cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened (about 8 minutes). Scrape the mixture into a very large bowl and let cool. Once cool, add the panko, eggs, mustard, ketchup, Worcestershire, hot sauce, salt and pepper. Stir to form a paste. Using your hands, gently work in the ground meats and cheese until combined. Do not overwork.

If using an oven, line a roasting pan with parchment paper. Firmly pat the meat mixture into one loaf, about 10 inches long. Roast in the lower third of the oven for about one hour, until lightly browned, and the internal temperature in the center of the loaf reaches 150.

If using a smoker, firmly pat the meat mixture into one loaf about 10 inches long and place on a wire rack. Place the wire rack on a grate in the smoker and cook 2 - 2 1/2 hours or until internal temperature in the center of the loaf reaches 150.

Let the loaf rest 15 minutes, then cut into thick slices and serve with Creamy Onion Gravy.

For the Creamy Onion Gravy

In a large saucepan, melt the butter in the olive oil. Add the sliced white onions and stir to coat. Cover and cook over moderate heat until the onions are very soft but not browned (about 10-12 minutes). Stir in the flour and cook for about 2 minutes. Add the chicken stock and cook, stirring frequently, until the gravy is thickened (7-8 minutes). Stir in the heavy cream and simmer over moderate heat for about 5 minutes.

Transfer the gravy to a blender and puree until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Return to saucepan and simmer until reduced to 5 cups (about 5 minutes). Serve over or with the meatloaf.
    Last edited by jlazar; December 24, 2017, 03:38 PM.

Sounds like a very good one!

Comment

Bookmarking this. Cream gravies are a staple in my family.

Comment

Ya got my mouth waterin'.

Comment

Sounds pretty dang good. Thanks for the recipe.

Comment

Just had a thought. Would you put the gravy in the smoker a short time to pick up a little smoke flavor? If so, how long?. Or would you just smoke the onions for a while before making the gravy? Smoke sliced or unsliced?

Comment

Looks like a delicious recipe, jlazar . About smoking the onions or gravy, I'd make it "straight" first and see how smokey the meatloaf itself is. Sometimes you can make things too smokey by smoking individual ingredients in addition to the whole meatloaf. Ask me how I know.

Kathryn

Comment

• lonnie mac
                lonnie mac commented
                Editing a comment
                I sure have done that a time or two! Moderate. Moderate! Two weeks ago you would swear I smoked the napkins, forks and knives, everything.

Very interesting...I am especially liking the gravy recipe.

Comment

That sounds great. I love meatloaf but am not a fan of the red sauce often put on top.

Comment

Nice!

Comment

Going to give this a try the gravy sounds excellent! My go to meatloaf is a recipe from Tyler Florence. It has a tomato relish that is over the top I will have to try to find it and post it. Plus it includes bacon!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here