Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shooter Sandwich

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shooter Sandwich

Anybody ever made one of these? If you haven't heard of them, do yourself a favor and look them up, they sound ridiculous but they are pretty awesome. You can make them out of anything, but my last few have been clubs. Essentially you are making a very big sandwich, then smashing the heck out of it to flatten it, it mixes all the flavors together and people seem to love them. Really good for apps.

So here is mine, I didn't take measurements, but I ended up using 1lb of turkey, 1lb of ham, 1lb of bacon, and 1lb of cheese with mayo and mustard throughout. When finished it was less than 2" thick, but so dense you only need a slice to fill you up. I took a ton of pictures, but I will just post enough to give you an idea.

I made this on a whim last Sunday so I bought bread instead of making it, I just found the fattest loaf I could get.
    Cut it into a bowl, saving the top and eating everything in between.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20141213_120430.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	41213

Start with a layer of cheese, then meat. I did Gouda on the bottom for some smokiness, then turkey, ham, mayo and mustard (don't use much). I do that twice, using only 2 layers of Gouda, Colby/Jack for the rest, and every other layer is bacon. If the bacon looks burnt to a crisp that's because it is, it is the only way my wife will eat it.

Name:	20141213_120714.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	41216

Name:	20141213_120932.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	41214

Name:	20141213_121219.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	41211

Name:	20141213_122144.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	41215

That's pretty much it, keep stacking until it is over the top, make sure you wedge meat and cheese around the edges, you can fit quite a bit in there and don't want the gap.
    Here is the whole thing when construction completes.

Name:	20141213_122943.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	41219

Next you want to wrap it very tightly in many layers of plastic wrap. This is what will hold the sandwich together as it is pressed. If done right then the air will come out of the bread and between layers and not just smash into a mess.

Name:	20141213_123413.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	41217

I had probably 8 layers and any one point here. Wrap it in a couple layers of foil and find somewhere to smash it, you need somewhere around 100 pounds. I usually sandwich it (no pun intended) between 2 boards and set a little beer fridge on it or let it hold up a side of my trailer. This time I didn't have that but my wife had 2 big plastic planters, I put thick cardboard on either side and then placed inside the first planter, then put the other planter on top. I tossed in an old battery, some weights and other junk until I got to about 100 pounds.

Name:	20141213_124229.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	41222

Try to let it sit at least 4 hours, the longer the better within reason. At 4 hours I removed it and it was noticeably smaller.

Name:	20141213_160144.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	41223

I take of the plastic wrap and keep the foil to put it in the fridge. Surprisingly it doesn't expand back out much.
    Just slice it up and eat.

Name:	20141213_164439.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	41221

For my wife I just need to about an inch and a half, my daughters split a 1 inch slice. You can easily feed 10 normal adults lunch with this thing.

If it looks good, give it a try, and search around the internet for more including hot ones. I found a recipe using chicken strips to make a chicken parm shoot that sounds awesome.

I'm looking forward to hearing what ideas you guys have, a lot of people use steak, so some cool leftover shooters would be great.
    Attached Files

Kinda looks like a giant Cuban sammich w/o the pickles and sliced pork. MMMMMM....

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here