Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vegan Entee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vegan Entee

One of our expected guests on Labor Day is a vegan (I know, we need new friends) and I want to make sure that she has a nice meal. Does anyone have an experience or ideas as to something nice that can prepared in the smoker or grill for somone who doesn't eat any meat or fish?

They just posted a eggplant recipe in the news letter thst comes in the emails for labor day

Comment

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thumbs up! Also - grill, don't smoke veggies. Another thing about making them happy is clean the grate and cook theirs before you put any meat on it. Or reserve a cooking space that has been cleaned and hasn't touched any.

Smoked tofu fajitas first thing that popped to mind; used'ta make lotsa them at a former job...they were always very well-received by my vegan patrons...
    Can cold smoke th' tofu, yerself, or purchase already smoked.
    Rest? Basic fajita: cilantro, onions, red/green/yellow, an' other, if desired hot pepper, Rose's Lime Juice, fajita seasonin...
    I dunno, jus' tossin' this into th' ring, fer consideration...
    Mebbe I'll come up with another golden oldie, if I think back far enough...
    Last edited by Mr. Bones; August 29, 2017, 08:39 PM.

Comment

How about this: http://www.food.com/recipe/grilled-v...h-kabobs-93267 . I like Mr. Bones 's idea about the fajitas. You could put the kabob in a a tortilla with a bit of salsa.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Th' defs have changed, while I was away...
        Sehr Interessant.

• tbob4
        tbob4 commented
        Editing a comment
        ComfortablyNumb - this is a serious question even though it sounds kind of dumb. Does fertilizer, which includes manure, negate the sanctity of the veggies? Again, serious question and one in which, if the answer is "yes" I wouldn't know how to serve a vegan should come across the situation.

• ComfortablyNumb
        ComfortablyNumb commented
        Editing a comment
        Sorry tbob4, didn't mean to exclude in my comment to Bones. Apparently you posted while I was typing and I hadn't seen it until after. Anyway, great question. I fear I'll be hamstrung by the 300 character limit, so I'll answer your question in a post.

First find out how strict they are about their diet. Some will eat fish some won't, some will eat dairy some won't. Some are a strict vegan lifestyle by choice and some are because of health reasons.
      I just threw a going away party a couple weeks ago for my son and one of his friends wife's is vegan. I made her a faux steak sandwich by grilling some large portabella mushrooms. I used French bread, sautéed onions provalone and mozzarella cheese, green peppers and lettuce. I made enough for three sandwiches, she ate one and when leaving pulled me aside and asked if she could take another one home. She said most of the time people just make her a salad so she was surprised when she got special treatment....Ha
      Last edited by Dadof3Illinois; August 29, 2017, 09:19 PM.

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        This is along the lines I was thinking, but you do need to know whether they'll eat it. Fungi aren't animals, vegetables nor minerals!

• Dadof3Illinois
        Dadof3Illinois commented
        Editing a comment
        Ha...very true. That's why I had my son ask the young lady how strict she was and if she would/could eat mushrooms and cheese/dairy. She was/is a non meat eater due to diet which made my choices pretty easy.

Fitting tbob4, manure @ sanctity of veggies used in the same sentence.

Comment

• tbob4
        tbob4 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah - after I read his response I did some reading and found he was right on. However, if I followed the rules to the end, I don't know if I could "bless the food" I cooked to a vegan. In fact, "blessing" may be sanctimonious. Is Giardia an animal?

Vegans, like the rest of us, operate in degrees. Some have girlfriends that are vegan, so they are vegan, but every once in a while enjoy a tasty burger. Then there are those who not only follow a strict diet, but won't even wear leather or wool. I suppose the first thing is to draw the distinction of a vegetarian versus a vegan. Vegetarians won't eat meat, however I have met some who will eat fish not considering it meat. Vegetarians, however, will eat animal by products, such as eggs, milk, honey, etc. With vegans it is about animal exploitation, so they won't even use by products of animals. The oddest discussion I heard between two vegans, both women, was whether swallowing during fellatio was acceptable. No, I'm not making that up, it was on a KPFA radio show. To get to the question posed by tbob4 on the use of animal fertilisers, it depends on the vegan. Yes there are some who eschew any animal inputs, using compost, green manures, kelp, alfalfa meals, etc. Others may not feel that is important, but insist on organic vegetables. Others may be fine with anything as long as it isn't animal. Above a poster suggested asking, a fine suggestion. Others you won't have to ask, but when all is said and done you'll likely be wishing they hadn't been on the guest list. My advice? Well, since you didn't ask, is don't worry on it. If I went to a vegan event I wouldn't insist on some pulled pork. I'd look over the fare, eat what was palatable, and if nothing there struck my fancy head to the nearest BBQ joint. I expect the same from my guests.

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        And that's pretty much how I operated when I was a vegetarian: adapt, it's not a big deal.

ComfortablyNumb - I knew about milk and eggs but never thought about honey or other ingredients that may have animal products in them. I thought I knew what I was talking about but realized that I really had no idea. In my very brief search of the internet after your post I was amazed at not only the rules but the bickering that goes among practicers when you read comments below their posts. Thanks again. It has been eye opening. I have made vegetarian dishes without difficulty. I really do not think I could adequately cook for a true vegan without fretting that I was going to mess something up.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
        ComfortablyNumb commented
        Editing a comment
        Don't fret, do the best you can to accommodate and if it isn't good enough they don't have to accept future invitations.

Malcolm Reed at killer hoggs has a great recipe for smoked stuffed peppers you can substitue the meat with a meat substitue crumbles

Comment

Duplicate post
        Last edited by customtrim; August 30, 2017, 06:40 AM.

Comment

Hmm, I don't agree to to the 'rule' of only grilling veggies instead of smoking them. I do a smoked tomato soup that turns out really nice, also a smoked aubergine mousse, et.c. As for burgers the portabello mushroom makes for a great burger (the portabello instead of ground beef). And most people tend to forget that grilled fruit is super tasty. I'm talking oranges, lemon, pineapple, mango, papaya (technically a veggie I guess). And grilled avocado halves are super tasty. And then we have all the onions of course. If you can get thin leeks they are great when grilled 'caveman style', drop the leek onto the coals, leave it until almost burnt, then chop and eat with some peanut butter.

Comment

• tbob4
            tbob4 commented
            Editing a comment
            I was saying "grill" because you could ensure that the meat and veggies didn't get cooked in the same environment. I like your ideas.

• customtrim
            customtrim commented
            Editing a comment
            Henrik i have done the avocados with smoke makes a killer guacamole

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            Ah, I see. Good point tbob4, thanks.

Tofu burnt ends...I might've just made that up.

Comment

• tbob4
            tbob4 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hahahahahaha - love it!

• adamjs83
            adamjs83 commented
            Editing a comment
            Funny enough I found a recipe for tofu burn ends this AM which I am planning to make.

• JCBBQ
            JCBBQ commented
            Editing a comment
            adamjs83 Look at that! Sweet. Also, i'd treat them like the pork belly burnt ends. Obviously without the honey.
            Last edited by JCBBQ; August 30, 2017, 04:29 PM.

I don't have a recipe per se, but when I have vegetarian/vegan friends over on a bbq day I usually get fresh green beans, firm tofu, sweet onions, and red sweet peppers, marinate them in either Drew's Orange Sesame or Shitake Ginger dressing (both vegan), and grill it up. I also have to keep my non-vegetarian friends from eating it all. I've also used the same dressings on eggplant, zucchini, and summer squash with good results.

Roasted Brussels sprouts are another favorite as a side. Depending on size, you might want to halve them. Toss in olive oil, balsamic, kosher salt, and pepper, then grill or smoke until tender.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here