Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Homemade Beef Pot Pie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homemade Beef Pot Pie

We had some steak last night from a particularly tough cow it seems. Don't even know what cut it was. So ...

Caramelized a yellow onion and threw in 3 minced garlic cloves at the end. Added some diced carrots and celery as well. Cut the leftover steak (probably about a pound or so, did I say it was tough?) into smaller than normal bite-size pieces and threw them in along with a dusting of flour. Poured in about 3 cups of beef broth also added a couple of diced russet potatoes. brought the whole batch to almost a boil then covered and reduced to a low simmer for 2 hours. The idea was to braise that piece of shoe leather.

Added some corn starch about an hour in.

Placed a store bought 9" pie crust in the bottom of an 8" glass pie dish, poured in the filling, covered with another piece of crust, and baked at 400F for 20min.

Turned out good considering the whole thing was an experiment to tenderize the beef. Season as you see fit, some thyme and cayenne come to mind, maybe some parsley as well. And I suggest brushing the top crust with an egg wash and checking after 15min in the oven.

This was strictly seat-of-the-pants with what I had on hand. Cooked everything in a 10" cast iron skillet and one pie dish. Only thing I had to go to the store for was the pie crust. (Okay, I'm lazy.) For what it's worth, this was based on my beef stew recipe.

EDIT: Follow up. I cooked everything in a 10" cast iron skillet and an 8" pie dish. I deglazed with the beef stock just before throwing in the meat. Cleanup was pretty easy with a chainmail scrubber and a kosher salt/hot water paste, but would probably have been easier still if I had either stirred more often during the simmer or moved it to the oven (at about 250F or so) for the braising. I used plenty of Pam(tm) on the pie dish so that wasn't an issue.

On a side note, anytime I cook with cast iron I always clean it afterwards, give it a coat of Crisco, then bake in the oven at 400F for an hour (including warmup time) to ensure a good seasoning.
    Last edited by boftx; August 25, 2017, 10:41 PM.

Sounds wonderful. May try something on purpose once the weather cools…use a small Chuckie maybe. Hmm!

Comment

Sounds good to me, I really like pot pie and have never tried it myself.

Comment

This sounds delicious, haveta try makin' pot pies, here!
        Thanks fer sharin'!

Comment

It's very tasty done this way, but try it sometime with some smoked beef - wow!

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh, yeah!!!
            There will be smoked meat in mine!!!

• boftx
            boftx commented
            Editing a comment
            The cook time will quite a bit shorter, too!

Great idea for left over brisket. Thank.

Comment

Love a good pot pie to ward off the chill.

Comment

Left over smoked chicken is also quite tasty!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here