Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In theory this should work: Philly Italian Beef Cheesesteak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In theory this should work: Philly Italian Beef Cheesesteak

It’s either going to be a hybrid or a bastardization, I’ll tell you that much.

But hear me out on this, really. Because there’s nothing stopping us from taking the best parts of each, and making one incredible sandwich.

Choose cheesesteak for the meat. It’s easy, it’s beef, you can buy it raw sliced thin at the grocery, no roasting and slicing necessary. Season it with the Italian beef rub, and grill it up on the flat top, or in a cast iron skillet.

When it’s done, cheese that sucker. Use Whiz, or American, but mild provolone is an option in Philly, too. I’ll go with provolone.

While that is going on, fry your peppers… with onions. It’s a hybrid, y’know? And fried peppers and fried onions go together like steelworkers and dockhands. If you want to fry some mushrooms in there, I won’t stop you. Also, make your jus. Because, this is going to be great.

so, you got your cheese and steak chopped up, and your peppers and onions fried, right? Good, chop them all together!

Assemble your sandwich. Choose a chewy roll. Amoroso’s are for Philly cheesesteaks, but your Chicago rolls (D’Amato?) work the same. If you can’t find either, use a French roll, they stand up better than an Italian one. Okay, now the giardiniera. This is important: East Coast Giardiniera is packed in vinegar. MIdwest giardiniera is packed in oil. Use Midwest, oil packed!

And finally, the dip. Dip it like an Italian beef. Let it run down your chin. Dip it again, and again, until for the last bite, you hold the butt of your sandwich in one hand, and pour the last of the jus onto it with the other. Done!

Really, I gotta try this. What could go wrong? I’m thinking, nothing.

Oh yes. I need this too. I have all the fixings except the rolls. I need to go to the bakery asap.

Comment

This sounds amazing. Now do it and show us the pictures!

Comment

You could take a car tire, cover it with melted cheese, and dip it in some good jus and it would be amazing. No reason a sandwich like this wouldn't be amazing.

Comment

Let’s get it goin’,,,,,
          I’m in,,,😁😁😁

Comment

Surely you’ve tried this, not only conceived it. Don’t hold out on us.

Comment

You lost me at Whiz, but the rest sounded good 👍

Comment

• Mosca
                Mosca commented
                Editing a comment
                Provolone, or American. Or hell, Swiss, Gouda, whatever you want. The rules have already been shattered. Here we make our own rules.

• Bogy
                Bogy commented
                Editing a comment
                Velveeta would be perfect for this.

There’s a 0% chance that doesn’t work. Do it and post your results asap!

Comment

I can’t get to this until next week, folks. I trust The Pit to give it a spin in the meantime. But it’s on for next week.

Comment

• Andrrr
                  Andrrr commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Bastardized Cheesesteak smackdown?

So will this work better on an offset stick burner or a pellet burner?

Comment

• Andrrr
                  Andrrr commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I’m looking to hang my cheesesteak in my UDS. What temp should I shoot for and how many hooks, and where do I put the hooks?😎

• Bogy
                  Bogy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Andrrr I think I'd shoot for 275 and you better daisy chain at least four hooks.

Doing cheese steaks tonight. Using grilled Tri-Tip, sliced thin, then chopped with fried onions, and American cheese. No peppers…..wife no like. An au jus does sound good to go with it .

Comment

Is the dip the italian part cause to me that just sounds like a cheesesteak

Comment

• Mosca
                    Mosca commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The sandwiches aren’t that different; it’s like ribeye vs prime rib. Use Italian Beef seasoning when making the cheesesteak. Italian Beef have fried green peppers, cheesesteaks have fried onions, so this has both. The giardiniera is Italian beef, and so is the jus, the dip.

• grantgallagher
                    grantgallagher commented
                    Editing a comment
                    shows what i know, i always order a cheesesteak with green peppers and onions and if im eating at home i add cherry pepper relish. I guess ive kind of being doing a hybrid all along.

• Mosca
                    Mosca commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I do, too. I also fry some mushrooms up. I love cherry pepper relish, or any hot pepper relish. But the giardiniera will cover the heat. If not, that’s what the bottle of hot sauce in the fridge is for!

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here