Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Philly Cheesesteak Recipes Wanted - Texas Boy Needs Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have used Tri tip leftovers, sliced thin with meat slicer. And mine will have bell pepper sliced thin and cooked with onions. For cheese-provalone
    griddle onions and peppers together,
    add thin sliced Tri tip, salt, a shake of Cavenders seasoning. Work meat and veggies together. Add cheese ( sliced or shredded) let cheese melt, scoop onto rolls. Never been to Philly to know what I am trying to create. But some fine eating my way.

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. I love bell pepper and am definitely going to use it for my first attempt.

I just bought a package of thin sliced ribeye on my last Costso run. They were slated to for bulgogi, but one package may have to end up on the griddle instead of in the wok.

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      I didn’t know Costco had thin sliced ribeye. That’ll be my first place to go then for my cook. Thanks

• Andrrr
      Andrrr commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep. I never paid attention to what kind of meat it was but the pre sliced Costco pack is my go-to

Look for this in your meat section. It saves a lot of work.

Click image for larger version

Name:	64DEE1C6-9DB8-46A3-9790-0E8B578FC8E8.png
Views:	107
Size:	279.1 KB
ID:	1254347

Comment

• Finster
      Finster commented
      Editing a comment
      That's what I use pretty often...
      I cut mine into smaller pieces with a chef's knife, rather than chop it when it's on the grill. Just easier for me.

• shify
      shify commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup! Another good option is to look at an Asian grocery store (if you live near one). All the ones near me sell very thinly sliced steak for shabu shabu that works perfectly for cheesesteak.

Panhead John my Kroger sells a package in the meat department that is "Shaved Beef Steak". 14 oz package for $5.99, and it's the only way I've made cheesesteaks on my griddle to-date. It beats trying to shave ribeye real thin myself...

Kroger® Beef Shaved Steak, 14 oz - Kroger

I had a lot of Philly Cheesesteaks at a place in Atlanta in the 80's. Can't get a good one here in Huntsville. Basic is peppers, onions, meat, and provolone cheese, into a hogie roll of some sort.

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Jeff! I’ve actually bought that before at my Kroger for stir frys on my wok. But I’d like to use ribeye, I don’t think that’s actually ribeye is it? It doesn’t say on the package what cut it is.

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Nope @Panhead Jeff I mean Panhead John - it’s mystery beef.

I got a deli slicer from woot that has yet to be used. Shaving steak for this might be a way to go…

• RickyBobby
      RickyBobby commented
      Editing a comment
      LOL! …. Mystery beef…… I’d still eat it. Lol. Don’t know if I should laugh or cry.

After your set up with shaved meat (I don't if it's available but shaved chicken for cheesesteaks is popular too, shaved sirloin beef is used a lot.) rolls, and cheese practice your chopping method. You need two spatulas the heavy duty kind blackstone and most griddle companies sell. Usually one is a bit shorter. Or with a pronounced lip, we always called it a puller.
    Throw your shaved meat on a hot part of the griddle. Holding the spatulas with hands upturned you bring the smaller one down to hold the meat with the tip, followed by the larger spatula to strike with the tip and chop a little piece off. Then you start speeding this up in a steady satisfying rhythmic clicking. Not hammering blindly but moving fast.
    After a few dozen chops you scoop the whole thing up and move it to a new hot part of the grill and repeat. You can use the broad side of the large spatula to chop after you get the pieces smaller. Chasing the heat around to grill by moving to a different place every time you start chopping.
    When you throw your cheese on, its usually American or provolone, the meat should be steaming and quickly melt the cheese. If its not the boss is going to complain your slow and put you back on the fryer.

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Good info Michael, thanks. The new Pit Boss griddle I have has a ceramic cooktop and the spatulas I have are heat resistant nylon. They work good, but are too flexible for cutting. I shouldn't be doing any chopping or cutting on the griddle itself with metal spatulas for fear of scratching the ceramic top. Sounds like I’ll need to cut the meat up ahead of time like Finster does.
      Last edited by Panhead John; July 15, 2022, 07:27 AM.

• RickyBobby
      RickyBobby commented
      Editing a comment
      This sounds like a man that has a fair amount of experience making steaks. Lol.

• DTro
      DTro commented
      Editing a comment
      Totally awesome visual!!!

Here's the base recipe I use: https://www.food.com/recipe/philly-c...lagasse-273615. I always use provolone, preferably sharp, and add mushrooms because I like them on a cheesesteak. I'll usually put some mayo and brown mustard on the hoagie bun. To make it easier to serve the family at once (since I don't have a griddle yet) is cook the meat and the veggies separately and then do the final mixing in portion sizes, drop the cheese on til it gets melty, and then transfer to the toasted bread. If I had a griddle I would do like gboss described and put the bread on top of the meat and cheese and then flip (which is how my favorite local place does it).

Comment

I am telling you guys......ya need to try this one. I must say, these make the best cheese steaks ever.

Spinaker's Philly Cheese Steaks.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	image_137497.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	1254531

Comment

As others have said- shaved ribeye. Also, "wiz wid" (cheese wiz and sautéed onion). Having had a few good ones the past couple years, I am finding provolone version to dry and now lean to something more 'melty', Copper sharp or wiz. Whatever you do, enjoy!
        Last edited by DTro; July 15, 2022, 07:47 AM.

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          I do like Whiz too. But I like the creamy cheese with gouda and provolone.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here