Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Soupspiration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soupspiration

Homemade soup is a great way to use leftover Q. The picture attached is roasted butternut squash and yam soup spiced with cinnamon, nutmeg, chilli powder and fresh ginger; finished with last nights blackened turkey breast, shredded extra old cheddar and a ring of fire (Siracha).

Now that it's soup season, I want to expand my soup repertoire. What soups do you like making and any in particular for leftover BBQ?

A few of my other favourites are roasted red pepper, leek and potatoe, curried potatoe with chickpeas and roasted carrot and ginger. Add leftover pulled pork, rib meat, sausage, chicken, brisket, chuckle, crumbled burger patties or whatever else you have to any of those soups for a delicious meal.

My all time best soup creation was spicy cocconut, roasted red pepper, prawns and lobster. My wife talks about it to this day!

bbqoaf, Your Soup looks fit to eat! How about posting your Seafood with Spicy Cocconut and Roasted Red Pepper Recipe? Thanks, 👍😋👍😋👍 Dan

Comment

Danjohnston949 Here you go, all quantities estimates (add more shredded potato to thicken, water to thin):

- 5 Red bell peppers roasted, skinned and diced a la MH's method https://amazingribs.com/recipes/cond...d_peppers.html
      - 1 or more red jalapeno pepper roasted, skinned and diced using same method.
      - Chili powder or red curry paste or powder, about two tablespoons.
      - 1 - 3 teaspoons cayenne pepper (add slowly and taste gradually, this stuff is powerful)
      - One large white onion diced
      - 3 cloves garlic, minced fine
      - 2 large potatoes shredded (shred as needed when adding to thicken)
      - 1 or more red jalapeno pepper roasted and skinned using same method.
      - 2 - 3 lobster tails, meat separated from shells and diced into bite size pieces.
      - A dozen decent size shrimp, meat separated from shells. You could also use chopped up pieces of your favorite fish.
      - 1 can coconut milk.
      - Water
      - Salt to taste.
      - Cooking oil.

Method
      - In large pot, cook onion over low heat until translucent and slightly brown, add roasted bell and jalapeno peppers, and the lobster shells and/or shrimp tails and cook another few minutes until mixture is warm throughout.
      - Add garilc and spices except cayenne and cook for approximately 30 seconds to 1 minute.
      - As soon as you can smell the garlic, add water and coconut milk, I want to say about 2-3 quarts of water. Don't burn the garlic!
      - Bring to simmer and add shredded potato slowly until consistency looks right to you.
      - Turn heat to a low simmer and cook for 1-2 hours with lid on, add more water if it starts to get too dry.
      - Remove lobster shells and/or shrimp tails and blend soup with immersion or countertop blender until smooth.
      - Add blended soup back to pot and taste. Add salt, cayenne for more heat or spices, or more water or potato to change consistency. Add cayenne conservatively.
      - Once you are happy with the consistency and flavor of the soup, pan sear or grill the lobster and shrimp meat smoking hot and really fast to where they are about half way cooked (just want some brown deliciousness), then add the meat to the soup and simmer for a few more minutes to finish cooking the shellfish (or just add the raw meat and simmer it a little longer, much easier). It can be tough to not over cook lobster and shrimp meat, keep an eye on it and as soon as you think the meat is cooked, take it off the heat ASAP.

Serve with warm crusty bread, and a cold pilsner style beer, can't go wrong.
      Last edited by bbqoaf; October 22, 2015, 01:07 PM.

Comment

• Danjohnston949
        Danjohnston949 commented
        Editing a comment
        bbqoaf, Thanks A Million! I may give it a try this weekend. I will let you know my success or .....👍👍👍👍👍 . Dan

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here