Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Most memorable meal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HouseHomey
    commented on 's reply
    Man I love a great salad bar. I’ve been known to kill the sizzlers in three trips.

• willxfmr
    replied
    Home cooked when I could eat such things:
    My mothers clam chowder. Every year as kids we would load up and head to South Jersey to visit family for anywhere from two to six weeks. Mom was a school teacher, so summer vacations had date ranges, not actual start and stop times. Once there, the whole clan would get together and head out to either go clamming, or hop on my uncles boat and fish flounder while also running blue crab traps. By late afternoon it was time to head back to my grandmothers' place and get to cooking. By the time I was eight I could shuck clams as well as any of the grown ups, knew how, but wasn't very good at filleting flounder, and could strip a blue crab clean in under two minutes. The highlight of these meals was always Moms' chowder. More clams than you think would fit, just enough potatoes to say that they are in there, and a broth that you could drown to death in and die happy. On the odd occasion the someone from out East would venture West to visit us, there was a very good chance they would show up with bushel or three of clams and inform my Mom that they weren't leaving until she made a big 'ol pot of chowder.

Restaurant:
    It was as far from fancy as you could get, but Slaters BBQ in Waukegan, IL was my first experience with an actual Rib joint. Way on the wrong side of town, wedged in between the asbestos dump and a scrap yard, a stones throw from Lake Michigan was a little shack that had 2 booths, half a dozen seats at the counter, and some of the best pork ribs you could ever eat. The house made sausage simply called "The Footlong" was blend of God only knows what and they hung in the back corner of the fish tank smoker that cooked everything except the few things that were fried. I know God was aware of what was in the sausage, because they were nothing short of Heavenly smoked goodness stuffed into a casing. As much as I loved the ribs, and no matter how many sausages I devoured, plus taking into account the amazing sauce that came in two versions, hot or mild. The VERY BEST thing you could get at Slaters was Ma's fried chicken. Just imagine the most delicious, juicy, tender fried chicken you have ever eaten, and then imagine something just a little better than that. That was Ma's fried chicken. When the City announced in 1997 that they were going to "beautify the Lakefront", the Slater Family was informed that the rib joint they had been operating at the same location since April of 1957, was going to have to make way to progress, and close their doors. The news devastated those of us that had come to think of the Slaters as family. We felt that way because that is how Ma and Pa Slater always treated everyone, like you were part of their family, and they were glad you had time to stop by and visit with them. After She got to know me a bit, Ma never asked if I wanted an order of chicken, it was always "Are you going to let me fix you some?" I'm not sure why she asked. She knew the answer before the door had even closed when I walked in.

My own food:
    Currently, it's my lamb ragu. Last year it was my Mediterranean chicken. Next year I'll have tinkered with something enough that it will become my new favorite. Hopefully I'll keep learning, and improving, and never think that I have run out of new things to try.

Other:
    It's really a toss up between a wet beef, or two dogs, everyting. If you don't know what those things are, then get yourself to somewhere in the Chicago metro area, look for the sign that says Vienna Beef, wander on in and just say "I'll have a wet beef, and two dogs everything." Bring a friend, you're going to need help eating that.
    Last edited by willxfmr; March 10, 2021, 11:13 PM.

Leave a comment:

• synodog
    replied
    Spettus Steakhouse in Recife, Brazil December 1993. My very first exposure to Brazilian churrasco. I thought they were joking that these guys come around to your table with grilled meat on metal skewers and slice off as much as you want. The flavor? Unbelievable! Not only could I eat as much as I wanted but it was some of the best grilled meat I had ever tasted.

Leave a comment:

• latenight71
    replied
    I actually forgot to include favorite fancy meal. my grandparents and parents very much enjoyed the restaurant scene throughout Los Angeles, Long Beach and the San Fernando Valley, so I've eaten at every classic and/or iconic LA-area restaurant you can think of from the early 1970s-2000s, from Brown Derby to Spagos to Lawry's to Francois' to Michael's Canoga Inn, I've eaten at them all. Additionally, my dad was born and raised in New Orleans, so each trip back saw us visiting Antoines, Galatoires, Pascal Manales, Commander's Palace, and many others.
    Still, if we are talking most memorable, I'm going with Chuck's of Hawaii in Santa Barbara, CA. Wife and I hit this place after seeing a Ben Harper show at the Santa Barabara bowl a few years back and had the most dynamite meal from beginning to end. Fried shrimp appetizer, insane salad bar (remember those!), and Prime rib-eye with baked potato, followed by warm chocolate brownie with vanilla ice cream . It was a pretty perfect evening and the meal sealed the deal!

Leave a comment:

• latenight71
    commented on 's reply
    It's the consistency that wins you over on Burger King. If it tastes the same everytime and brings you back to that first time it's going to be a homerun whether it's the best ever burger or not.

• HawkerXP
    commented on 's reply
    LoL! Its been a long time. I'd have to do a new review. painter

• painter
    commented on 's reply
    The Grant St Cafe in Dumont doesn't make the cut?

• RonB
    replied
    Best meal probably in NYC when my wife's dear departed wealthy uncle took us to a Chinese restaurant where he knew the owner in Chinatown. I think there were nine of us in a private room and the owner stood at the door and inspected every item brought into the room. There were too many great things to remember, but the Peking Duck was tops.

Best memory, and I remember it well after 50 years, was a meal along Mobile Bay. Three Navy buddies and I decided to visit Mobile one Sat. We drove along the bay and saw several dive lookin' restaurants and decided we would eat at one of them on the way back. We just picked one and went in. It was kinda dark as well as old, but we decided to stay. Everyone ordered and I asked if we could get $4 worth of shrimp as an appetizer. The waitress said sure. A few minutes later, (we were still on our first beers ), the waitress brought out a huge plate with shrimp piled high and all the way to the edge of the plate. It looked like someone had just shoveled the shrimp onto the plate. Then she brought out four soup bowls of cocktail sauce. It took us several beers to work through all the shrimp and we were stuffed. That's when she brought out our meals...

Leave a comment:

• au4stree
    replied
    We were at Canoe Restaurant in ATL. It was the night I proposed to my wife (not at the restaurant), she got steak (she always orders steak), I got venison tenderloin. We had such a pleasant experience sitting out over the Chattahoochie River. Looking back it was darn near a perfect day, weather, people were so nice, food wine, it was all perfect......
    Last edited by au4stree; March 9, 2021, 06:53 PM.

Leave a comment:

• TripleB
    commented on 's reply
    Troutman - Sorry to hear it closed. I don't remember the food tasting anything extraordinary, but the visual of those platters of seafood coming to the table obviously made quite an impression on me.

Another one was eating at the Stardust Steak House (I think it was called Stardust) in Texas. I got the Cowboy, a 36 oz. steak. The two guys next to me each got the Trail Boss, 72 oz. It literally hung over the edges of the platter. Wow.

• JoeSousa
    replied
    Well, for now let me stick to some memorable restaurant meals I have had:

Franklin BBQ - Maybe the most masterfully prepared meal I have ever eaten. The whole experience was pretty much perfect. A few beers made the wait a great part of the meal and the food was beyond what I thought barbecue could be. Can't wait to go back.

Juliana's pizza in Brooklyn - My goodness, the pizza and meatballs were both crazy good.

Halal Guys (53rd and 6th in NYC) - Just a giant plate of street meat. Chicken and lamb with lettuce, pita, and some amazing white sauce. Perfect meal at 2 AM after a few beverages.

Leave a comment:

• lostclusters
    replied
    Cooked by me (not bbq): Burgundy Beef using the Fannie Farmer's cookbook recipe (older version using salt pork).

Cooked by me (bbq): Pork tender loins with a modified Memphis dust rub.

Restaurant: Authentic Peking Duck from the Peking Palace in Oceanside, Ca.

Leave a comment:

• Troutman
    replied
    Me: I suck at cooking, okay well maybe my country chicken is pretty awesome.

Click image for larger version

Name:	countchick 01.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	153.5 KB
ID:	1001489

Mom: (and really Dad too) were foodies long before that was a thing. They obsessed over meals and always insisted on fresh food. It was always served at 6pm on the dot and you'd better be there. The most memorable meals she served were the roasts almost every Sunday. The smells wafting through the air, the anticipation of a great meal. Her leg-o-lamb was a show stopper!!

Restaurant: Fancy - was on a business trip to New Orleans and was taken to lunch at Emeril's in the Warehouse District, Emeril Lagasse's first restaurant. Had a really good lunch and got to meet the guy before I ever knew who he was. Fast forward to 2015 and got invited again to eat at NOLA, his French Quarter establishment. The party I was with spent about $2,000 wining and dining, maybe the best meal I've had since. Other than that, there are too many experiences in Chicago, New York City, Vegas; hell, I could write a book.

Restaurant: Not So Fancy - I'm gonna say I was 12 or so years old and this new burger joint opened up near our home. It was called Burger King. The Home of the Whopper has been my go to hamburger ever since. Yea I know there are much better burgers out there, but there's just something about a double meat, double cheese with bacon Whopper that makes my mouth water and satisfies me decades after my first one.

Leave a comment:

• Troutman
    commented on 's reply
    That seafood restaurant you refer to was the Monument Inn. Sadly it closed a few years ago, got wiped out by one of the storms, can't remember which one. They tried a come back but never caught on. They did overwhelm you with food but I don't remember it being top notch, just gut filling !!!

• Troutman
    commented on 's reply
    Apparently there's already a McPBR. Your culinary dreams are coming true

https://www.cuisinart.com/recipes/sa...grilled-mcpbr/

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
Rubs Promo

Spotlight

These are not ads or paid placements. These are some of our favorite tools and toys.

These are products we have tested, won our top awards, and are highly recommend. Click here to read how we test, about our medals, and what they mean.

Use Our Links To Help Keep Us Alive

A big part of this site is our unbiased equipment and product reviews. We love playing with toys and we have no problem calling them the way we see them. Some companies pay a finder’s fee if a reader clicks a link on AmazingRibs.com and buys a product. It has zero impact on our reviews, zero impact on the price you pay, and the sites never tell us what you bought, but it has a major impact on our ability to keep this site alive! So before you buy, please click our links. Here’s a link that takes you to a page on Amazon that has some of our favorite tools and toys: https://tinyurl.com/amazingribs

Grilla Pellet Smoker proves good things come in small packages

We always liked Grilla. The small 31.5″ x 29.5″ footprint makes it ideal for use where BBQ space is limited, as on a condo patio.
Click here for our review on this unique smoker

Blackstone Rangetop Combo: Griddle And Deep Fryer In One

The flat top does the burgers and the fryer does the fries. Use the griddle for bacon, eggs, grilled cheese, and so much more. And why deep fry indoors when you can avoid the smell and mess by doing it outside!

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

Our Favorite Backyard Smoker

The amazing Karubecue is the most innovative smoker in the world. The quality of meat from this machine is astonishing. At its crux is a patented firebox that burns logs above the cooking chamber and sucks heat and extremely clean blue smoke into the thermostat controlled oven. It is our favorite smoker, period.
Click here for our review of this superb smoker

Surely you know somebody who loves outdoor cooking who deserves a gift for the holidays, birthday, anniversary, or just for being wonderful. There he is, right in the mirror! Here are our selections of best ideas, all Platinum or Gold Medalists, listed by price.

Click here to see our list of Gold Medal Gifts

The Cool Kettle With The Hinged Hood We Always Wanted

Napoleon’s 22″ Pro Cart Charcoal Kettle Grill puts a few spins on the familiar kettle design. In fact, the hinged lid with a handle on the front, spins in a rotary motion 180 degrees. It’s hard to beat a Weber kettle, but Napoleon holds its own and adds some unique features to make the 22″ Pro Cart a viable alternative.

Click here for more about what makes this grill special

The Efficiency Of A Kamado Plus The Flexibility Of The Slow ‘N Sear Insert

kamado grill
Built around SnS Grill’s patented Slow ‘N Sear charcoal kettle accessory, this 22-inch kamado is a premium ceramic grill that brings true 2-zone cooking to a kamado.

Click here for our article on this exciting cooker

Compact Powerful Sear Machine For Your Next Tailgater

Char-Broil’s Grill2Go x200 is a super-portable, fun little sizzler made of heavy, rust-proof cast aluminum. The lid snaps shut. Grab the handle and you’re off to the party! Char-Broil’s TRU-Infrared design produces searing heat while reducing fuel consumption. A 16 ounce LP gas canister is enough to keep you flipping burgers for hours.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order