Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hit or miss local grocery store butchers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hit or miss local grocery store butchers

My local Shoprite either has nothing worth buying or some really good product. I havent been able to find a pattern to it RE day or the week etc but when its there its usually really nice. Today i got a really nice looking london broil and chuck steak for some good prices. The LB is prime and the chuck was choice but looks great. Always worth a walk by to see whats there.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-1412.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	996915Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-1413.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	164.7 KB
ID:	996914

What you say is so true. Completely hit and miss without any pattern or logic to it. Also you need to have some patience and dig through the pile of packages. I have found the best in a lot buried at the very bottom of the pile.

Comment

• grantgallagher
      grantgallagher commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah you always have to dig. These ones happened to be on the top but more often than not some of the best are closer to the bottom. I have a feeling that the leaner looking cuts might actually sell better overall.

That chuck roast looks great!

Comment

• grantgallagher
      grantgallagher commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah i was particularly happy with the chucky. If i bought that online it would be significantly more dollars.

Select, Choice, or Prime, I don't know, there seems to be upgrading to increase profit? Or supply and demand? Perhaps the meat gets mismarked accidentally on purpose.
    Ribs in the cryovac are really hard to tell.
    Happy Grilling.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      PBR might hailp...

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      You might be right, or is the correct.

My understanding is that the only thing that get looked at for carcass grade is the ribeye. So that may not necessarily mean a well marble chuck or any other cut. They grade the ribeye and the whole carcass is graded as prime If that makes sense.

Comment

• grantgallagher
      grantgallagher commented
      Editing a comment
      I did not know that. Good knowledge to have!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here