Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More Meat Syndrome.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More Meat Syndrome.

It’s becoming a problem.

I don’t know if it’s FOMO, or a manifestation of a hoarding urge or a collecting urge. But I keep wanting to buy more meat. I filled the freezer side of the refrigerator, so in October I bought a 7 cu.ft. freezer; now it’s full.

But the next part of the problem is that it’s acting like a bank. I don’t want to eat any of it, because if I eat it, then I won’t have it. It’s "saved". And I'll be at the supermarket and see something I want and thiunk, "If I get these nice strip steaks, we can have them for dinner and I won't have to thaw a couple." Meanwhile I have all the steaks I cut from the striploin I bought in December.

And if I see something I don’t have, there is a desire for it: "Ooh, Black Hawk has Wagyu flat irons! I should get some for the freezer! Oh, and they have French free range chickens! Mrs Mosca would love those!"

I know I have to stop buying stuff and start eating stuff. At least they're not Precious Moments figurines.

Specific case of Collector's Syndrome. I did this years ago with age worthy wine. The difference, I think, is that age worthy wine is worth hanging on to because it does evolve. Meat does not, so I'd look for reasons to eat the stuff.

Source: My full freezer. Which I'm finally starting to eat through.

Comment

You, my friend, have a serious problem. I have mine in tight control. I realized when I found I had12 racks of Porter Road spares, 5 turkeys, several strips from a whole loin I bought, 4 butts and assorted chicken parts that it was getting out of hand. I am still slipping up with pork belly though. And brats. And smoked sausage... maybe I am not as in control as I though I was

Comment

I guess mine manifests itself from learning to grocery shop, truly on my own as a young man for the first time while I was guarding embassies in the Marines. We had to shop for 5+ Marines plus keep 30 days of food in a closed pantry incase of civil unrest, famine, disaster etc. then cycling things into the "open" pantry on the first in, first out concept to keep things fresh. I just transferred that onto my buying habits when I got out. SWMBO gave me a hard time about it until about this time last year when everyone went nuts in the grocery store. Another added benefit about the well stocked freezer is one or both of us could be laid off and we could get by for an extended period with out grocery budget thinned out considerably and still get by comfortably.

Comment

This is why I have not bought an additional freezer. I would do the same thing. When my freezer in the kitchen gets full, I eat.

Comment

• klflowers
            klflowers commented
            Editing a comment
            Smart man

Boy do I identify with you. I think I’m cooking my way through whats in the freezers, but each inventory the stock is bigger. I think my mindset is if I cook something the safe bet is to replace it with 3 additional ones.

Comment

Yep, I'm afflicted with MMS. I have two uprights full, three fridges with the top freezers full, and I had to take the last round of venison sausage and venison stock to my office where it takes up two of the top freezers of the office fridges. I'm eating out of the freezers for now and I am doing well resisting the urge to buy more. Pork butts have been $1/lb here and I haven't bought any since I have two frozen, etc. Also, I've given away some sausage and stock to friends and employees. Tonight I'm using my cube steak machine to tenderize some venison blade steaks for smothered steak. I'm also using some ground venison and pork along with some Hatch chilies to make stuffed corn bread. Other than poultry and fish, I shouldn't need to buy meat for the rest of the year (but I know I will ).

Comment

I suffer from this, too. I can't make a quick trip to the grocery without making a detour through the meat section. Sometimes there will be a hidden gem that is suddenly priced at a steep discount. I grabbed a $1.99/lb. CAB whole brisket right at the start of all the shutdowns last year. There were 10 of them just begging me to take them home. I didn't have quite enough freezer space for all of them, and I reasoned that I should not hoard them in case somebody else needed one, but I would come back in a day or two and they were fair game then. Somebody else got a great deal before I made it back.
              Last edited by Steve R.; February 25, 2021, 09:19 AM.

Comment

• klflowers
                klflowers commented
                Editing a comment
                This made me realize I don’t have any brisket in the freezer. Oh my...

I do this all the time.

Comment

I resemble this post!!!....😂😂😂

Comment

You just hit a nerve with me. I have been telling my wife that we should eat up what we have in the freezers and not buy any meat when we are at the grocery.

However, today I just ordered a bunch of steaks online. Now I feel bad about it and she doesn't know it yet.

Comment

• Mosca
                    Mosca commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yeah. I make sure they get delivered when I’m here and she’s not. Then I burn the box in the fireplace.

I too have a problem. Someone please save me!

Comment

BTW Mosca, I can scare you out of this habit...

You have a nice full freezer. Wagyu beef, pastured pork and chicken...

The power goes out. For several days.

It's early August.

Comment

• RustyHaines
                      RustyHaines commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Just guessing there will be a surge (pun intended) in backup generator sales in Texas?

• BBQPhil
                      BBQPhil commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Solution to the more power syndrome is to buy a generator. Anyone else feel the need to buy a generator to protect the meat in their freezer? Next would be solar panels to run the generator.

• Clark
                      Clark commented
                      Editing a comment
                      BBQPhil Have it connected to natural gas (most reliable) or LP.

YUP!!

Comment

I fill up whatever freezer I have. A sale does not go by without me.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here