Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More Meat Syndrome.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mosca, back in October 2014 did ya ever think it would get this bad. It’s like bein a junkie! We joined Amazing Wibs and ended up gettin The BBQ Jones! Ya never have enough, never, of any thing! Cookers-check, utensils-check, fuel - charcoal (no not one or three bags like normal people, it’s ten or thirty) gas - multiple as in 3 or 4 tanks, wood - can you say truckload, pellets by the flat-check, attire - multiple aprons or shorts like Panhead wears-check, there is never enough of anything that we can’t go off the deep end with. I am starting to shake & quiver as I write about this. There is a solution...........

Comment

• bardsleyque
      bardsleyque commented
      Editing a comment
      can't have too many shorts...

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep. For me, it’s not so much the hardware. It’s the consumables. The proteins, yes, but also the charcoal, lump, wood chunks and chips, gas, basic ingredients for sauces and rubs, cans of tomatoes and cartons of broths, jars of demiglaces, etc.

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      So Mosca, it’s only ...............every thing eh?

Yup. I have a pretty well defined pattern at this point. Freezer is getting low leads to buying stuff that gets cooked often. Then its freezer has some space and this is on sale so let me grab it. Rinse and repeat and before you know it i have a freezer full of "ooh, this is interesting". Take stock of whats been in and out of there and swear ill find a way of being more efficient with purchases and then a couple of months later im back into the freezer has some space so let me grab this because its on sale.

Comment

After reading this post I started thinking about the shipping problems I had last summer with Blacks BBQ in Texas. Bottom line - I emailed them, they called me back, I’ll be ordering some sausages next month.

Comment

Boy! I am glad I do not have that problem. Get help from a professional.
        Meat gets freezer-burned and will not last indefinitely. I am too cheap.
        PBR cheap, Happy grilling to you and in the future.

Comment

• Jfrosty27
          Jfrosty27 commented
          Editing a comment
          I’m with you. On the meat AND the PBR.

• Mosca
          Mosca commented
          Editing a comment
          I had a SRF rib roast for 2 years, took it out of the vacuum seal and it was excellent.

• klflowers
          klflowers commented
          Editing a comment
          bbqLuv, you are so right. I have 3 tackle boxes stocked with lures that are still in the original packaging.

I’m so glad I don’t suffer from these types of problems.

...says someone that has had 5-10 pound hunks of meat fall out of the freezer on his feet more than once and has to carefully maneuver a path around stacks of pellets, charcoal and grill accessories if I need something from the shelves in the garage.

It’s feels great to be in control.

Comment

• Steve R.
          Steve R. commented
          Editing a comment
          I actually could have written nearly this exact comment, minus the pellets.

I can feel where you are at Mosca, but I stock the freezer pretty much only when I find good buys or stuff is on sale. One year, I bought about a dozen Boston butts because they were on sale at a Kroger BOGO sale, and it made the price per pound something like 70 cents. Same thing with baby/loin back ribs. After taking over a year to cook through all that, I learned that A) I don't like Kroger's butts, and B) If my freezer is full of butts, I don't have room for other stuff!

I like to keep a butt or two and a few racks of ribs in the freezer, but have learned to limit myself somewhat on sales and not go so crazy I bring home more than I can fit in the freezer(s). And yes there are multiple freezers - we have a 26 cf side by side, a 21 cf top freezer, an 18cf top freezer, and a 7cf chest freezer.

Comment

This drives my wife nuts too, I have to lay my upright on its back to jam stuff in there its so packed right now.

Comment

Same issue here. Both with steaks and wine. It's gotten mouch worse with the need to isolate and not going to the stores. I respond quickly to the sales on these sites: Creekstone, Snake River Farms, and Last Bottle.

Comment

Me too. Just can't pass up a deal

Comment

Aaaand D’Artagnan has a 30% off sale on American Wagyu ground beef, plus free shipping on over $150. 20 lbs of American Wagyu, on its way. At least it’s getting delivered Tuesday, so I can burn the box before Mrs Mosca gets home from work.

Comment

Well, it's happening again. On my latest detour through the Kroger meat section today, I saw a bunch of those $1.99/lb briskets again, almost a year later to the day. Of course I needed one. Plenty more where this one came from, but my freezers are crammed full.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210311_212052.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	146.1 KB
ID:	1002593

Comment

• Troutman
                    Troutman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    $1.99/# is what they sell select for here. At $6.99/# you get American Wagyu. What grade was that brisket?

• Steve R.
                    Steve R. commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Choice. For some reason, the "regular" price is always $6.99, but there is never much on hand, and then they put a bunch out and mark it way down. I usually buy CAB elsewhere for around $3.50/lb.

This sounds like the BBQ man's equivalent of BRD - Black Rifle Disease. I suffer from both, unfortunately. I'm well stocked up on both at the moment.

<edit> Of course, that doesn't mean I'm not looking for room to place more, in both the freezer OR the safes!

Comment

• Clark
                    Clark commented
                    Editing a comment
                    DogFaced PonySoldier Agree, now if we could just find more ammo.

• DogFaced PonySoldier
                    DogFaced PonySoldier commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I'm pretty stocked up, not for the LONG haul, but I'm also not shooting much these days, just to conserve until the shortage dries up or the bottom falls out.

• Clark
                    Clark commented
                    Editing a comment
                    DogFaced PonySoldier I am like you...thought I had a lifetime supply (I'm old) until this last year. Now I am very stingy with ammo when I go shooting. Takes the fun out of it. I do have a semi-reliable source but that is getting iffy.

Yea I somehow missed this post too. It's a good one that strikes home for a lot of us I'm sure. I actually got to the point of getting a third freezer until my better half sat me down and we had an intervention. I must admit my addiction has gotten under a degree of control, both freezers are only 2/3rds full as we speak. I intentionally steer clear of the meat counter at the grocery store, my butcher has forgotten my name and Costco....forget about it.

However being the OCD addict that I am, something had to replace the meat buyer's cravings so I turned instead to watches. I don't want to go into how large my collection has bloomed into, I now hide them from my wife so I don't hear "Is that ANOTHER new watch?".

Someone please help me......

(BTW, anyone like watches ??? )

Comment

• Clark
                    Clark commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Troutman How long do you smoke a watch?

• Troutman
                    Troutman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Until it needs re-winding (or if it's quartz until the battery dies)

I am powerless over people places and all things BBQ. One Day at a Time.
                  About a year and a half ago we had the family over for a BBQ and I told them my freezer was full and they could help themselves. Damn near cleaned me out! Talked to one of the sons the other day and he asked if the freezer was full again and to free free to get another prime rib so he could take it off my hands. Geeze!

Comment

I suffer from a similar affliction, although I don't have a problem using items that are already in my freezer. I DO have a problem with turning down "sales" and "screaming deals". My freezers are so stuffed that I probably couldn't fit an ice cube in the spare space.

Comment

• Steve R.
                      Steve R. commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Same here. This is where wet aging really becomes a convenience for me. Now the clock is ticking for me to use some frozen stuff in the next 30 days or so to make room for a brisket in the freezer. lol
                      Last edited by Steve R.; March 12, 2021, 03:16 PM.

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here