Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Requesting your GREATEST chile verde recipe!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Requesting your GREATEST chile verde recipe!

So tomorrow night I am tasked with making dinner for our men's Bible study get-together. We'll also have 2 ladies in the house, should be maybe 10-13 total.

So...

I've got a big pork half-loin roast, I dunno, maybe 3-4 lbs or so. I think I'll chunk that up into good-sized cubes and get a hard sear in a cast-iron skillet.

I've done it once or twice, just onion, jalapenos, poblanos, tomatillos with cilantro and cumin and oregano - do have some true Mexican oregano. Do ya'll have any special additions or something that makes it super duper over the top? I use chicken stock, too. Am I missing anything? I've done it before and it was "good", but there is a local restaurant that makes the best I've ever had, and I have NO idea what they do differently from what I've done. They ain't tellin', neither. So I know there're some secrets out there. Most of the recipes I've found on the intarwebz are just a variation of the above. I know the local place's chile verde doesn't appear to have seeds in it from the tomatillos, I haven't ever taken those out, but does it make a difference?

What would you do? Due to my BBQing nature, with help from here and other forums, I've gotten a reputation when I cook. Now they make an announcement - "Catering provided by H's House of Meats" went out via the group messaging system this morning when I offered to cook for tomorrow night, lol. So the expectations are even higher. <sigh>

I've got a large crockpot, I think it's a 7-quart, figured that oughtta do it, but besides the above, tell me what do ya'll do to make an absolutely over-the-top ridiculous eye-rolling pork green chile verde???

And to tell you how good the local place is, I've seriously considered getting a part-time job there for a few months, maybe washing dishes or cooking in the kitchen on weekends JUST so's I could learn their recipe. I'm not even foolin'.

Comment

Here is what I do.

Chile Verdé

Yield: 8 servings

Ingredients:
      • 5-6 pounds pork butt, trimmed & cut into 1" to 2" cubes
      • 8 cups cold water, about
      • ¼ cup kosher salt
      • ¼ cup sugar
      • 15 fresh Anaheim chiles or Hatch
      • 6 garlic cloves, not peeled
      • 1½ pounds tomatillos (15 to 20), peeled, washed, stemmed and cut in ½
      • 1 bunch cilantro leaves, cleaned and chopped
      • 2 tablespoons +/- lard or canola oil, divided
      • 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
      • 1 green or yellow bell pepper, chopped
      • 1-3 jalapeños, seeds and ribs removed, chopped
      • 6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
      • ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
      • 2 tablespoon ground cumin
      • 1½ tablespoon Mexican oregano
      • 1 teaspoon ground coriander
      • Chicken broth, as needed
      • ½ cup lard
      • ½ cup corn flour
      • Freshly ground black pepper & salt, to taste
      • Lime juice
      • Lime wedges, corn & flour tortillas, and sour cream, for serving
      Preparation:
      1. In a large bowl or plastic bag add water, salt, and sugar then stir to dissolve. Add pork and more water if needed to cover; shake or mix. Let brine for about 2 hours shaking or mixing occasionally.Preheat broiler. Place Anaheim peppers on a foil lined sheet pan, place in oven until charred on all sides. Meanwhile, place tomatillos cut side down and garlic on another foil lined sheet pan. Remove peppers from the oven and place them in a paper bag to let them steam for 5-15 minutes. Place tomatillos in the oven and roast, moving around, until nicely charred and soft, about 15-20 minutes.
      2. Add tomatillos and any juice into a blender or food processor, pulse until chucky. When peppers are cool peel, seed and roughly chop, add to blender with the tomatillos along with the cilantro. Remove roasted garlic cloves from their skins; add to the blender with the
        Anaheim peppers and cilantro. Pulse until ingredients are finely chopped. Reserve in a bowl.
      3. Remove pork from brine (if doing). Season the pork cubes generously with salt and pepper. Heat 1 tbsp lard/oil in a large skillet or deep sauté pan over med-high heat and brown pork chunks browned on all sides. Work in batches so that the pork is not crowded adding lard as needed. Using a slotted spoon or tongs, lift pork out of pan and into a bowl.
      4. Heat 1 tbsp lard/oil in the now empty large heavy-bottomed skillet. Sauté onions, bell pepper and jalapeño in the skillet cook, stirring occasionally until limp, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and sauté for about 1 minute. Add the black pepper, ground cumin, Mexican oregano and ground coriander and sauté for about 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon lift veggies out of pan and into a bowl. Deglaze the skillet with the 1 cup of chicken broth.
      5. In a Dutch oven add contents of skillet, puree, veggie mixture, and enough chicken broth to just cover the meat. Let the mixture simmer uncovered for approximately 1½ to 3 hours on low heat, or until pork is fork tender.Before Verde is done, in a small sauté pan, mix lard with the corn flour, stirring over low heat for 2 minutes to make a masa roux. Stir roux into the Verdé add lime juice to taste and simmer for 10 more minutes.
      6. Adjust the seasoning to taste with salt and pepper. Thin with chicken broth if needed. Serve with Spanish rice and warmed flour and corn tortillas, lime wedges, sour cream.

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        Roasting the peppers and tomatillos is a good trick. My wife uses it too. I think her Chile verde is off the hook.

That sounds pretty good! I was wondering where you were going with the unpeeled garlic, at first! lol. Then I saw it gets roasted and THEN peeled. Good move.

I like this recipe, I'd suggest you post it in the actual recipes forum section - I did go looking there before posting this topic, but we need more recipes there for people to search.

Thanks for the reply! Let's hear some more ideas, people.... what do you do to your chile verde that puts it OVER THE TOP???

Comment

I must admit that ofelles recipe is so close to mine that it's nearly identical. Of course about a year or so ago HE influenced mine thus the reasoning. My only change to his above is the use of an equal amount of poblanos to the hatches or anaheims. I really like the earthiness of the poblanos as well as the freshness of the hatches. And although this is not a real spicy dish, I'd also add about a teaspoon of a good chili powder or even cayenne.

Although you may never achieve that something special your favorite restaurant has, the one above is outstanding, I make it all the time. In fact I recently used the verde sauce portion to make some awesome enchiladas that I posted a week or so ago. Good luck with yours, I know it will turn out great !!

Click image for larger version

Name:	sauce 07.jpg
Views:	622
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	992746Click image for larger version

Name:	verdi chili 04.jpg
Views:	632
Size:	129.2 KB
ID:	992745

Comment

• ofelles
        ofelles commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the mention Steve. Coming from you, I'm honored.

Here's a Charley Langer one from about a year ago. He does not use fresh peppers but his spices look interesting;

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...de-mild-medium

And yet another from Dewesq55 but again without the fresh peppers;

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...rk-chili-verde

I'd also like to hear from barelfly and his take on a New Mexican variant. Lots of good recipes to choose from. I still think ofelles is a sure bet !!! Trust ole' Troutman on this one

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        I realize that and sorry if it sounded like I was being critical. I was just pointing out that the base for a good verde is hatch, anehiem, pobalno or other fresh peppers. The spicy kick, like in yours, is from the serranos or jalapenos. Again no knock on yours, I think the spices look very interesting which is why I pointed it out to him.

• gcdmd
        gcdmd commented
        Editing a comment
        Dewesq55
        In case you missed Steve's shoutout to you.

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        Troutman - I'm not offended. I was just playing. It's all good!

I've used this one several times and really like it. Utilizes a pressure cooker.

Comment

Pretty cool to be mentioned in a thread like this, so many great recipes available to try already. I’ll add mine so you can see some different options, but it would be good to know what you can taste or see in the Green Chile from the restaurant. But, to me, the tomatillos change the flavor drastically, thus, I don’t add that - but I make a New Mexican Green Chile as Troutman states. But ofelles and Troutman’s recipes are legit but just a different flavor profile. I have made a Chile Verde Posole that uses tomatillos, but that’s more of a soup.

Mine is also so simple, with only a handful of ingredients. But, it packs a punch of flavor and depending on the type of green chile you can get (I only do Hatch style because that’s what we do in New Mexico ) you can get some heat. I usually use a medium heat type chile, which is called a Sandia Chile where I purchase from the local farm near my house.

Here you go - enjoy if you end up trying this and let me know if you have any questions. But again, any of these recipes above are going to be great!

During my time here at The Pit, I’ve enjoyed reading about the many ways Chili is made and the regional differences. It’s a bit different than what I’ve grown up eating and making as I’ve learned from my Grandmother over the years, and even spelled differently than what we see in New Mexico. In New Mexico, Chile is a

Comment

Definitely a "lazy man'" version but popular at our house. Fresh peppers are scarce in my neck of the woods so I stock up on roasted green chiles from 505 South Western. This recipe came from their site.

Slow cooker hatch green chile verde is a beautiful dish that will wow any and all company that sees and tastes it using 505 Southwestern Roasted Green Chiles

Comment

• barelfly
            barelfly commented
            Editing a comment
            I buy their jarred chile, we have a jar in the fridge on hand, as I use it on everything. It’s easier to use that for a spoonful here and there and allows me to save the fresh chile for the other stuff I make.

I'm in the same camp, mostly, as @ofelles and Troutman. Roasting the tomatillos, peppers, and garlic is an essential step. The one addition I'd make is to toss in a stick or two (depending on total volume) of cinnamon. Just enough for a subtle, under note of flavor.

Comment

So much good stuff here. About the only thing I would add is that if you are known for your barbecue, you could consider adding smoke to the dish by starting the pork on the grill and/or doing the roasting of the veggies on the grill.

Comment

I've done Charley Langer 's version a couple of times and I love it!

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...de-mild-medium
              Last edited by 58limited; February 21, 2021, 08:24 AM.

Comment

I’m with Jim White on smoking the chuck or whatever at least partway done before adding it to the pot. Adds a nice flavor. Otherwise much the same as yours I’m guessing.

I did a version of this one to rave reviews recently: https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/chicken-chile-verde
                Last edited by Texas Larry; February 21, 2021, 01:12 PM.

Comment

This is my go to Mexican recipe site. It's never let me down. you can use search box for meat type to find multiple recipes. The salsa recipes are outstanding, as well. I operated a taco cart catering business for 6 years and used their recipes for my salsas and sauces to very good results (when an Abuela gives you the nod you know you done bueno). check it out. you'll all be eating Mexican this week, I guarantee!

Browse hundreds of 100% authentic Mexican recipes with easy-to-follow step-by-step photos and instructions. Taste the difference with restaurant quality Mexican cuisine made in your own kitchen!

Comment

The recipe ofelles posted is pretty close to my wife’s recipe. Very similar approaches. Biggest differences, I think, are the types of peppers. Try that one .... it’s gonna be pretty damned good. Then tune it from there the next tie you Cook a Chile verde.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here