Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Healthy Food that Doesn’t Taste Like Shoe Leather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spinaker
    commented on 's reply
    Whole Foods are the way to go for me. I try to avoid anything processed. And I really watch any sugars I take in. Meats, eggs, wild caught fish and big leafy greens. I can instantly tell when I take in dump of sugars or eat processed junk. My mind is much more clear when I stick to Whole Food choices and limit sugar intake. Down 200 lbs since I started that about 2 years ago. Can’t even describe how much better I feel physically. Way better mentally is what has surprised me the most

• Willy
    commented on 's reply
    I appreciate your answer..but, I would ask you what medical doctors, or other health care professionals/dieticians, recommend a diet high in sugar or heavily processed foods? Certainly none that I have spoken to or read.

That said, I completely buy into avoiding foods high in sugar and foods that are "highly" processed. I also buy into Michael Pollan's idea of "eat (real) food, not too much, mostly plants". Peace.

• FireMan
    replied
    Willy & jhoskins , easiest way might be to find out what not to do then build your healthy menus from there. Look up Dr. Robert Lustig, Nina Teicholz, Gary Taubes, & Dr. Daniel Amen. All can be seen on YouTube. It will be a condensed education. You will find that meat, butter, salt, fat, yes even duck fat are Ok & even good for you. Lustig is a scientist/endochrinologist, Teicholz & Taubes are research journalists & Amen is a Psychiatrist. Dr. Amen primary work is with the brain & espouses to properly feed the brain. A funny thing happens when you feed your brain with real food, your body responds. A good example would be Spinaker . I wonder what his mental state of affairs is since his "taking care of himself". Keepin in mind I’ve never talked to him. I can only guess his answer. And for us geezers, it doesn’t mean super intense workouts & such. Just eat real food like most of what is presented here on AR. Once’t in awhile we wonder off the reservation, but that’s not the end of the world either. Real Food is not processed, manufactured & doctored up with RX.
    Last edited by FireMan; February 21, 2021, 02:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• jhoskins
    commented on 's reply
    +1 on sources to learn about good nutrition...

The amount of resources and people with conflicting opinions on the internet can be quite overwhelming

• jhoskins
    commented on 's reply
    Yea I clearly don’t have a great understanding of nutrition. I have friends that have advocated for all sorts of things (Keto, high fat/low carb, high carb/low fat, paleo, blah blah blah). Maybe I need to start by getting educated on nutrition...

• cashelton
    replied
    A couple of lean pork meals we love...

Meathead's Grilled Sweet and Sour Pork recipe, on the free side of the site, is great and pretty quick to make.

If your Chinese food go-to is sweet and sour pork then you'll love this grilled version. Best of all: No oil, no frying. Not only is it simple to make, the grill amplifies this dish by adding a deep smoky flavor. In addition to grilling the cubed pork tenderloin, the signature pineapple in this recipe also hits the grill.

Chris Lilly's Pork Tenderloin & Spinach Salad is also a house favorite. Takes a little longer to prep but well worth it

Serve up the heartiest salad ever with pan-roasted pork, fresh spinach, sautéed onions, bacon, feta and pickled peaches.

Leave a comment:

• ssandy_561
    replied
    jhoskins I also noted that in your original post you questioned beans being healthy for you. Beans and Legumes are some of the best things to eat for many different reasons. We are always trying to work more beans into our diets for all the benefits they have.

Granted just like everything else beans can go from being something really healthy for you to something not so much depending on the way they are prepared.

Leave a comment:

• Bkhuna
    replied
    Hot Pots are incredible easy to make, can be adjusted for the amount you want, and use minimal meats and are usually chocked full of veggies. One of my favorites is https://www.justonecookbook.com/taiw...ade-meatballs/

We make the meatballs with ground chicken and use plenty of grated ginger and garlic. We usually skip the beef and the dipping sauce. Usually, we add fresh or dried Ramen noodles or the curly dried chinese noodles. I take this with me to work a couple of days a week.

And yes, tofu used in Asian dishes is tasty. Think of them as little sponges for sauces.

Asian food is quit diet friendly if you stay away from the strip mall take out places.
    Last edited by Bkhuna; February 21, 2021, 07:08 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ssandy_561
    replied
    We eat cod two to three times a week. To me it takes on flavor really well. We have many ways we cook it. Some healthier than others but all ways healthier than most BBQ I make.

A quick and easy way I love it is dust it with blackening seasonings and sear it on my Blackstone or in a cast iron pan with a touch of oil.

An easy oven baked preparation is mix equal parts mayonnaise, Dijon mustard and horseradish. Coat the top of the filet with it, dust with a bit of panko and cook at 350 until done.

Simply grilling it up with salt, pepper and a touch of smoke is pretty darn good.

We will serve it up with sautéed vegetables, oven roasted vegetables or grilled vegetables. We enjoy most vegetables so that’s not a problem for us.

If you are a fan of cabbage or cauliflower making a "steak" with them and grilling or griddle searing them is some good eats.

Leave a comment:

• RonB
    commented on 's reply
    Forgot some veggies I occasionally use: bok choy, pea pods, and snow peas.

FireMan nudged my memory with his post in the SUWYAC thread.

• Willy
    commented on 's reply
    I would agree that MDs are not, beyond broad brushstrokes, dietary experts. What sources do you recommend for dietary/nutrition advice?

• Old Glory
    replied
    Ground turkey curry over rice
    Grilled boneless skinless chicken thighs marinated in lemon, garlic, EVOO with roasted veggies
    Salad with grilled chicken or steak

Leave a comment:

• FireMan
    commented on 's reply
    No interverionin goin on. We are good at tellin ya what to do and how to spend yer money!

• jhoskins
    commented on 's reply
    I didn’t mean to turn this into an intervention

• FireMan
    replied
    Mebbee if ya let us know how much ya eat we kin be of better help. Why don’t ya start with breakfast. We have a team waitin to consult ya, yessir!

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here