Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Healthy Food that Doesn’t Taste Like Shoe Leather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skip
    replied
    I have similar feelings about trying to be healthier in my cooking. I'm no expert for sure but I've been trying to use more herbs and marinades to season foods. Think about individual herbs, balsamic vinegar and glaze, lower fat dressings, olive oil, grilled vegetables, etc. Lately Bread Baking has been pretty minimal too. Good luck. I too hope this thread gets a lot of posts!
    Last edited by Skip; February 20, 2021, 09:24 AM.

Leave a comment:

• jhoskins
    started a topic Healthy Food that Doesn’t Taste Like Shoe Leather

Healthy Food that Doesn’t Taste Like Shoe Leather

Esteemed Pitmasters,

I come to you today in a conundrum. I love to make BBQ. As a practitioner of low ‘n slow I am drawn to meat centric meals that take anywhere from 4-16 hours to prepare. BUT, I have put on the Covid-19 and am busy working a new job. I need some inspiration for some healthier meals that also taste great. It doesn’t have to be some kale with a side of spinach... but I can no longer justify smash burgers as my healthy "quick" meal...

In the spirit of learning, I hope this thread can become a "top of the stack" reference point for idea sharing. So, things I have tried and like so far:
    - If I have to eat BSCB, there are two methods I like:
    - Crockpot on low with chicken broth/salsa/some sort of braising liquid. The chicken shreds easily and reabsorbs the liquid
    - hammer the BSCB to be super thing, dry brine them, then grill’em up with a thermometer in hand
    - Chicken kabobs (I prefer thighs) along with a salad and some sort of vegetable
    - Steaks and roast broccoli... that is healthy in my book
    - Grilled chicken on the bone, BBQ seasoned, vortex (or equivalent method of indirect with a quick sear to crisp up the skin)
    - Chipotle style bowls... easy to make a bunch in advance for the work week, but not sure how healthy they are if they are like 50% rice and beans

I struggle with simple healthy vegetable recipes. Roast broccoli and cauliflower are easy and tasty... I have a couple different ways I do Zucchini that is good, and "fajita style" peppers are tasty too

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here