Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shut the #%&$@ up, Mr. Gates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shut the #%&$@ up, Mr. Gates

I hope this isn’t inappropriate; if so, or if it drifts off into politics or arguments, shut it down moderators. I won’t be offended. I ran across this in one of my news feeds this AM and thought you guys might be interested.

Bill Gates recommends that all wealthy nations should invest in 100% synthetic meat. Find out why eating synthetic beef can help the planet.

Bah. No fake meat for me! I would probably just go vegan for real before succumbing to the "lure" of fake meat.

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, I don't think processed foods are the answer to anything.

• ComfortablyNumb
      ComfortablyNumb commented
      Editing a comment
      klflowers Hey, I resemble that remark!

• Razor
      Razor commented
      Editing a comment
      A-men

Do I cook it on my fake grill?

Comment

• dtresca
      dtresca commented
      Editing a comment
      Easy Bake Oven, I believe.

• glitchy
      glitchy commented
      Editing a comment
      Spark

So, playing devils advocate. If blindfolded and tested on both a regular cut, and a “manufactured cut of beef, if they both tasted identical, and you can not tell in texture or taste, and appearance. Then what? I have no current opinion, just asking. Bias is a pretty strong compass, that does not always get you to where you believed you were heading.
    Last edited by Richard Chrz; February 16, 2021, 09:57 AM.

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Richard Chrz you are right. And it reminds me of this scene that I always loved with Chevy Chase:

Last edited by jfmorris; February 16, 2021, 11:38 PM.

• DrJimmy2112
      DrJimmy2112 commented
      Editing a comment
      jfmorris that's great! I'd forgotten about that scene!

• Beefchop
      Beefchop commented
      Editing a comment
      Generally speaking, there just isn't a whole lot of good data on nutrition, but I operate (for better or worse) on the premise that it's hard to get the benefits of animal protein from plant-based products.

Nothing is really natural and everything is processed. But there is a lot of steps to make fake meat. Anyone who says they understand the healthiness of something, make them show you the raw data.

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Everything I read seems to indicate that it takes a lot of work to produce the fake meats that actually taste good, and they are in the end about the same level of calories and other stuff as real meat by the time it tastes good.

• Dr. Pepper
      Dr. Pepper commented
      Editing a comment
      I've tried the ones Costco sells, Beyond Meat, or Impossible Burger, I don't remember. I was surprised. Not bad. Juicy, meaty flavor. I'm not ready to give up animal protein yet, but when we get shipped off to Mars in one of Elon's big rockets, due to, you know, this planet no longer functioning, then I suspect we'd love to have one of those fake patties on a sesame bun with onions, lettuce, mustard, ketchup, and Mars dust.

• Polarbear777
      Polarbear777 commented
      Editing a comment
      Just a note I’ve tried impossible and beyond. Impossible was much better and not bad. Taste and texture is much like a 95% lean burger ( which I wouldn’t choose on purpose).

Mr. Gates should really stay in his own lane. If he wants to eat synthesized food then by all means do so. However, he, nor anyone else, has the right to dictate what others do. It never ceases to amaze me how those who achieve great fortune and fame believe that somehow makes them all-knowing and omnipotent. We all put our pants on one leg at a time.
    Last edited by CaptainMike; February 18, 2021, 01:14 PM.

Comment

• klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep. That is why I called the thread what I called it

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      And I really would not want to share a foxhole with Mr. Gates.

• Razor
      Razor commented
      Editing a comment
      We all know he isn’t eating any of that stuff.

I think he should speak about this at the Meat-up and see what happens

I’ve thought pretty highly of his philanthropy since he started his post Microsoft life, but this makes me think he needs a straight jacket. Just give your money away quietly Bill.

Comment

Didn’t want to take the time to listen to him. But, I did run across this article on 3D steaks. I saved a pic of it. Sorta looks like one of Richard Chrz ‘s steak. Click image for larger version  Name:	85F6FEA5-53C6-4689-8EEB-DADDD7298573.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	142.6 KB ID:	990639
      Last edited by FireMan; February 16, 2021, 10:22 AM.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
        Richard Chrz commented
        Editing a comment
        I've never cooked something that masterful.

• tamidw
        tamidw commented
        Editing a comment
        It looks like it's been in the freezer too long!

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        Steve R. Any amount of broccoli is too much.

Seems like a waste of money and resources when a natural source is already available:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_132579.jpg
Views:	466
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	990646

Comment

Would it surprise you that Mr. Gates is the largest farm land owner in the US?

Video: Facts Matter (Jan. 20): Why Does Bill Gates Own More Farmland in America Than Anyone Else?

Bill Gates is now the largest owner of farmland in America. Newly released data from the FBI shows that gun sales skyrocketed in 2020, reaching an all-time...

Download our app to read more at https://ept.ms/DownloadApp

Comment

• Richard Chrz
          Richard Chrz commented
          Editing a comment
          I like to see those conflicts of interest. Thanks for posting.

Shrug. I think we should all have cars that get 250 miles per gallon and that do your taxes. My opinion is about as valid as his.

Comment

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          More valider, if you ask me.

You all are WAYYYY too easily offended.

Comment

• Steve R.
          Steve R. commented
          Editing a comment
          So, you're offended by people being offended?

• rickgregory
          rickgregory commented
          Editing a comment
          Steve R - not remotely. I just find it amusing how, er, vociferously, people react. Gates has a good point, raising beef on an industrial scale is environmentally harmful (note the word industrial).

• klflowers
          klflowers commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, I wasn't really offended, more like kind of amused. But I like the thread title. I have a friend that looks a lot like Bill Gates; I called him this morning and told him to shut the %$#*! up. Then I sent him the article. He called me back and told me he told himself to shut the #@$%$!%^ up lol.

Rinds me of a quote from an old TV show:

"beff" and "loobster" at the hungry heifer

Comment

• MBMorgan
          MBMorgan commented
          Editing a comment
          Norm!

I don't understand what's the Beef?

Comment

I'm sure it has nothing to do with this.

Microsoft founder Bill Gates is now the owner of the most farmland in the United States, according to Land Report. The Land Report researchers concluded that Gates, now the fourth richest man in the world, and his wife, Melinda, own 242,000 acres of farmland.

Comment

• FireMan
            FireMan commented
            Editing a comment
            So’s they kin grow lotsa whatever to make them fake steaks n’ keep everybody from growin real steaks.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here