Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BBQ sauce does not make BBQ ribs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBQ sauce does not make BBQ ribs.

Just putting BBQ sauce on ribs does not make them real BBQ ribs. Counterfeit copies, not true BBQ.
    Oven-baked ribs and sauced,
    Boiled ribs and sauced,
    Pressure cooked and sauced,
    Crockpot and sauced,
    Although they may be mighty tasty and paired with PBR.
    Happy grilling on you

Amen, brotheršŸ¤£!

Comment

I would agree.

"If you boil ribs, the terrorists win." -Meathead

Comment

Heck, bbq ribs donā€™t really need sauce if cooked properly. Think Memphis style dry ribs!!

Comment

• tamidw
          tamidw commented
          Editing a comment
          I do sauce on the side for ribs and pulled pork at home.

• Murdy
          Murdy commented
          Editing a comment
          Memphis Style -- My personal favorites!

• ecowper
          ecowper commented
          Editing a comment
          98% of the time, there is no sauce on my ribs.

We never sauce our wibs!

Comment

I put BBQ sauce on the table when time to eat, but it is never used in the smoking process

Comment

• Dewesq55
            Dewesq55 commented
            Editing a comment
            Raw sauce on the side does not taste at all the same as sauce caramelized on the meat during cooking. IMHO, BBQ sauce tastes best when it has been sizzled, and even lightly charred, over direct heat. Better than baked on like most of the YouTubers do it.

I like my ribs both ways! Boiled.....or done in the crockpot.
          For more recipes follow me at.......www.whatanidiot.com

Comment

• bbqLuv
            bbqLuv commented
            Editing a comment
            I resemble that . . .
            Anyway, happy grill on you.

• smokin fool
            smokin fool commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh, a copy cat of my site:

• ecowper
            ecowper commented
            Editing a comment
            Just wait until you slow cook Ć¢ā‚¬Ėœem in the microwave! Donā€™t forget a small dish of water to keep the cooking chamber humid.

I agree. Ruby Tuesday - strange as it sounds and as much as the pitmaster in me hates to say it- makes some great ribs. They are grilled & sauced, not smoked, no bark. But, they are good because it's pretty tasty sauce. I call them "restaurant ribs", not "ribs" though. Standalone "ribs" are their own kinda special as we all know. Some folks 'round here call those type of ribs "wibs".

Comment

I like to apply sauce toward the end of the cook in order to create a glaze. Back in the day when Iā€™d smoke ribs in advance for a special occasion I wouldnā€™t apply sauce at all while smoking. Then a day or two later Iā€™d apply sauce and baste them lid off over a hot gas grill. Iā€™d flip quickly and would keep brushing each side with sauce and then flip until I ran out of sauce. After 6 -8 flips theyā€™d have a good glaze and would be warmed through.

Comment

• Dewesq55
              Dewesq55 commented
              Editing a comment
              This way of saucing is what I do every time (not the cook ahead and reheat part). I try to limit it to 2 applications of sauce per side now, although I didn't always.

• smokin fool
              smokin fool commented
              Editing a comment
              With you on this boyz

Braised ribs can still be good. Just not the same.

Comment

I still make the following ribs once in a while. They are so good. Oven Braised and Broiler finished. Alton Brown never calls them BBQ ribs so in my opinion he has committed no foul.

I do change Alton Brownā€™s rib rub a bit. Itā€™s too salty for my taste. I go 8 2 1 and 1. Only 2 parts salt not 3 as the video shows.

Comment

• SheilaAnn
                SheilaAnn commented
                Editing a comment
                ssandy_561 is that the "who loves ya baby back" recipe? Iā€™ve done that one and riffed on it more times than I can count. I agree with the no foul.

• Polarbear777
                Polarbear777 commented
                Editing a comment
                Agreed. Altons are good too.

No sauce here, sauce is on the side. I do put the sauce in a pan on the smoker for an hour or so to heat and get a little smoke in it and serve it as a dipper.

Comment

Amen! The world is confused because they accepted a burger with a strip of bacon and some BBQ sauce as the "barbecue cheeseburger".

...and you can add "western" to that title if you slap an onion ring on there too. šŸ¤¦Ć°ÅøĀĀ½

Comment

• Huskee
                  Huskee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Dewesq55 Applebee's (don't hate me) makes one of those and darnit if that isn't a really good burger!

• Dewesq55
                  Dewesq55 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Huskee - No hate here. I'll bet they are delicious!

• ecowper
                  ecowper commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Iā€™ve always called that a western bacon cheeseburger (probably because Carlā€™s Jr.)

Being Polish-Lithuanian, grandma always made braised ribs over sauerkraut. Then when I was taking care of her, she taught me how to do it. I always picked off the sauerkraut (I know... bad Polish girl). Then I made my own sauerkraut. I am in love!

Comment

• bbqLuv
                  bbqLuv commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Sauerkraut with caraway seeds, Oh so good.

• SheilaAnn
                  SheilaAnn commented
                  Editing a comment
                  bbqLuv tons of caraway seeds in the kraut.

The secret's in the sauce!

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
                  ComfortablyNumb commented
                  Editing a comment
                  bbqLuv It wasn't the sauce that was special, it was the meat!

• bbqLuv
                  bbqLuv commented
                  Editing a comment
                  "it was the meat that is sweet" to feed the fleet, to them I greet, and then beat feet. But store-bought sauce is no a cheat in the evening heat.
                  Now my comment is complete.

• ComfortablyNumb
                  ComfortablyNumb commented
                  Editing a comment
                  bbqLuv I'm sure Frank Bennett would be proud!

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here