Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Authentic Jamaican Jerk Here I Go

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dewesq55
    commented on 's reply
    jhoskins - I burn the chips for smoke. Sucked are used differently. They use them as like a rack to cook the food on above the fire. That's why I mentioned somewhere here about using Bay leaves (soak them first) as a bed for three food.

• Red Man
    commented on 's reply
    For one cup uncooked rice. 1/2 can of pigeon peas, replace 1/3 of the water or stock with coconut milk. Throw in a few sprigs of thyme, scallion, and a scotch bonnet pepper and remove when finished.

• Red Man
    commented on 's reply
    I get sticks from pimentowood.com. I believe they get a shipment about once a year and the sticks sell out each year. Just keep checking and they’ll be back in stock eventually. I’m sure the chips will work fine though.

• jhoskins
    commented on 's reply
    My wife and I honeymooned in Jamaica and I fell in love (with Jerk of course).

Curry I’m an be intimidating, and yes, curry powder is just a spice blend... it’s like saying BBQ rub... most people have there own idea of what goes into it and it can vary quite a bit based on region. Same thing with masala. I love Indian food, in fact I made some last night!

• jhoskins
    commented on 's reply
    Do you have a good rice and peas recipe? Thanks for the link, I would have never thought to check Etsy for food.

• jhoskins
    commented on 's reply
    I had to buy chips because the sticks were out on PimentoWood.com lol

• jhoskins
    commented on 's reply
    Do you reuse the pimento wood chips? I read that when they cook Jerk on pimento sticks they reuse the sticks, which seems interesting... not sure why or if you could pull it off with chips (that is what I ordered because actual sticks were out of stock)

• bbqLuv
    commented on 's reply
    Summertime, BBQ, and a cold one, PBR. something to look forward to.

• HawkerXP
    commented on 's reply
    Says the guy who only drinks PBR!

• Wedunne
    replied
    I've been able to order pimento wood and other products from https://pimentowood.com/. They also have a pretty decent jerk chicken recipe.

Leave a comment:

• JoeSousa
    replied
    Where did you get the pimento wood? I have been looking for some pimento wood sticks and all I seem to be finding is some chips.

Leave a comment:

• bbqLuv
    replied
    I like the way you think. So many different cuisines so little time.
    I know, Happy grilling to you.

Leave a comment:

• Dewesq55
    commented on 's reply
    Habaneros are a good substitute as far as spice level. They don't have quite the same fruity flavor as Scotch Bonnets, but Scotch Bonnets are pretty impossible to get around here. We planted a couple of plants last summer but we didn't get any production. 😞
    Last edited by Dewesq55; February 13, 2021, 08:49 PM.

• Donw
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks for the tip. Going to order some and give it a try.

• Dewesq55
    commented on 's reply
    Grace is pretty good. I have used it. But Walker Wood, if you can find it, is the Bomb! Also, Steve Raichlen has a very good jerk marinade recipe.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here