Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Authentic Jamaican Jerk Here I Go

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Authentic Jamaican Jerk Here I Go

I have been pretty busy lately, but I have spent my time away thinking of the next cuisine I want to become unreasonably obsessed with... I have landed on Jerk Chicken/Pork/Goat.

I ordered Pimento wood from Jamaica (a bit of a splurge) and am currently researching recipes and methods. To those more experienced, what are your go to recipes/techniques for Jerk?

I plan on making the rub and any sauce from scratch, just so I can better understand what goes into it... my research started on Serious Eats (https://www.seriouseats.com/2013/08/...n-at-home.html) but I am open to other techniques as well! Previous times I have made Jerk it was good but nothing spectacular. I am now aspiring to spectacular

I’ve been using this recipe and have been pretty happy with it.
    Spicy, smoky and slightly sweet, this Jamaican jerk marinade is perfect for chicken, pork, fish and vegetables.

I think using scotch bonnet peppers is important. Habaneros work, but it’s not the same. If you can’t find scotch bonnets locally you can get really good fresh ones on Etsy. I vac seal and freeze four peppers to a pack. You can always remove one from the pack and just re vac seal it. Make sure you put a whole scotch bonnet pepper in the pot when making rice and peas, discard the pepper when the rice is done. It adds a great flavor.
    Fresh Jamaican Scotch Bonnet Peppers. Whole pods, from Jamaican seeds. Hot and Flavorful. Ships from Florida. We have 2 ozs. to 3 lb. quantities available. Yellow and Green colors only as shown in pictures. These peppers are ideal for cooking, making sauces or for harvesting seeds. These are fresh

Comment

• jhoskins
      jhoskins commented
      Editing a comment
      Do you have a good rice and peas recipe? Thanks for the link, I would have never thought to check Etsy for food.

• Red Man
      Red Man commented
      Editing a comment
      For one cup uncooked rice. 1/2 can of pigeon peas, replace 1/3 of the water or stock with coconut milk. Throw in a few sprigs of thyme, scallion, and a scotch bonnet pepper and remove when finished.

Panhead John should have a lot of jerk recipes... (He says duckin' and runnin')

Comment

Jamaican neighbours turned us on to Grace brand Jerk marinade and BBQ sauce
      Add a few tablespoons of Paprika to the marinade and let it marinate all day.
      BBQ your meat and then sauce it up.
      Not your traditional jerk but it sure is good.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        Grace is pretty good. I have used it. But Walker Wood, if you can find it, is the Bomb! Also, Steve Raichlen has a very good jerk marinade recipe.

Good luck, just don’t make my mistake. Spent a year or more in the 80’s trying to get it right but only had access to jalapeños. Came close with just the jalapeños and I was quite proud of it. Then a friend gave me some scotch bonnets and I happily cooked up a bunch of jerked chicken for my family and friends but used the same amount of scotch bonnets as I did jalapeños. I still remember the reactions around the table when they all took their first bites. The incident is still remembered in the family as the day I tried to kill them all.🙂
      Last edited by Donw; February 13, 2021, 03:43 PM. Reason: Tense

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Scoville units, jalapeño = 8,000, scotch bonnet = 250,000. I think you made a boo boo 🤣

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        Habaneros are a good substitute as far as spice level. They don't have quite the same fruity flavor as Scotch Bonnets, but Scotch Bonnets are pretty impossible to get around here. We planted a couple of plants last summer but we didn't get any production. 😞
        Last edited by Dewesq55; February 13, 2021, 08:49 PM.

I’ve always been hesitant to try having not tasted the truly authentic version myself. You’re definitely going at it the right way, even down to the wood. That’s awesome. I’m interested to hear your results. I’ve always had the same feeling/curiosity about curried dishes. From what I’ve read "curry powder" isn’t anything like real curry dishes.

Comment

• jhoskins
        jhoskins commented
        Editing a comment
        My wife and I honeymooned in Jamaica and I fell in love (with Jerk of course).

Curry I’m an be intimidating, and yes, curry powder is just a spice blend... it’s like saying BBQ rub... most people have there own idea of what goes into it and it can vary quite a bit based on region. Same thing with masala. I love Indian food, in fact I made some last night!

As far as technique...my favorite is on the kettle with vortex, same as any chicken pieces. Traditional is more slowly over coals. I’ve tried it on the PBC but prefer it with the vortex.

Comment

Walkerswood is popular

Comment

• Donw
          Donw commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the tip. Going to order some and give it a try.

I have pimento wood chips (not chunks or sticks, unfortunately) and they make a huge difference in the flavor of the food, IMHO. Also, you can use bay leaves as a bed under the food when cooking/smoking it. It also helps, though not as much as pimento wood.

Comment

• jhoskins
          jhoskins commented
          Editing a comment
          Do you reuse the pimento wood chips? I read that when they cook Jerk on pimento sticks they reuse the sticks, which seems interesting... not sure why or if you could pull it off with chips (that is what I ordered because actual sticks were out of stock)

• Dewesq55
          Dewesq55 commented
          Editing a comment
          jhoskins - I burn the chips for smoke. Sucked are used differently. They use them as like a rack to cook the food on above the fire. That's why I mentioned somewhere here about using Bay leaves (soak them first) as a bed for three food.

I like the way you think. So many different cuisines so little time.
        I know, Happy grilling to you.

Comment

• HawkerXP
          HawkerXP commented
          Editing a comment
          Says the guy who only drinks PBR!

• bbqLuv
          bbqLuv commented
          Editing a comment
          Summertime, BBQ, and a cold one, PBR. something to look forward to.

Where did you get the pimento wood? I have been looking for some pimento wood sticks and all I seem to be finding is some chips.

Comment

• jhoskins
          jhoskins commented
          Editing a comment
          I had to buy chips because the sticks were out on PimentoWood.com lol

• Red Man
          Red Man commented
          Editing a comment
          I get sticks from pimentowood.com. I believe they get a shipment about once a year and the sticks sell out each year. Just keep checking and they’ll be back in stock eventually. I’m sure the chips will work fine though.

I've been able to order pimento wood and other products from https://pimentowood.com/. They also have a pretty decent jerk chicken recipe.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here