Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Authentic Jamaican Jerk Here I Go

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dewesq55
    replied
    I have pimento wood chips (not chunks or sticks, unfortunately) and they make a huge difference in the flavor of the food, IMHO. Also, you can use bay leaves as a bed under the food when cooking/smoking it. It also helps, though not as much as pimento wood.

Leave a comment:

• Troutman
    commented on 's reply
    Scoville units, jalapeño = 8,000, scotch bonnet = 250,000. I think you made a boo boo 🤣

• W.A.
    replied
    Walkerswood is popular

Leave a comment:

• Red Man
    replied
    As far as technique...my favorite is on the kettle with vortex, same as any chicken pieces. Traditional is more slowly over coals. I’ve tried it on the PBC but prefer it with the vortex.

Leave a comment:

• JakeT
    replied
    I’ve always been hesitant to try having not tasted the truly authentic version myself. You’re definitely going at it the right way, even down to the wood. That’s awesome. I’m interested to hear your results. I’ve always had the same feeling/curiosity about curried dishes. From what I’ve read "curry powder" isn’t anything like real curry dishes.

Leave a comment:

• Donw
    replied
    Good luck, just don’t make my mistake. Spent a year or more in the 80’s trying to get it right but only had access to jalapeños. Came close with just the jalapeños and I was quite proud of it. Then a friend gave me some scotch bonnets and I happily cooked up a bunch of jerked chicken for my family and friends but used the same amount of scotch bonnets as I did jalapeños. I still remember the reactions around the table when they all took their first bites. The incident is still remembered in the family as the day I tried to kill them all.🙂
    Last edited by Donw; February 13, 2021, 03:43 PM. Reason: Tense

Leave a comment:

• smokin fool
    replied
    Jamaican neighbours turned us on to Grace brand Jerk marinade and BBQ sauce
    Add a few tablespoons of Paprika to the marinade and let it marinate all day.
    BBQ your meat and then sauce it up.
    Not your traditional jerk but it sure is good.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• RonB
    replied
    Panhead John should have a lot of jerk recipes... (He says duckin' and runnin')

Leave a comment:

• Red Man
    replied
    I’ve been using this recipe and have been pretty happy with it.
    Spicy, smoky and slightly sweet, this Jamaican jerk marinade is perfect for chicken, pork, fish and vegetables.

I think using scotch bonnet peppers is important. Habaneros work, but it’s not the same. If you can’t find scotch bonnets locally you can get really good fresh ones on Etsy. I vac seal and freeze four peppers to a pack. You can always remove one from the pack and just re vac seal it. Make sure you put a whole scotch bonnet pepper in the pot when making rice and peas, discard the pepper when the rice is done. It adds a great flavor.
    Fresh Jamaican Scotch Bonnet Peppers. Whole pods, from Jamaican seeds. Hot and Flavorful. Ships from Florida. We have 2 ozs. to 3 lb. quantities available. Yellow and Green colors only as shown in pictures. These peppers are ideal for cooking, making sauces or for harvesting seeds. These are fresh

Leave a comment:

• jhoskins
    started a topic Authentic Jamaican Jerk Here I Go

Authentic Jamaican Jerk Here I Go

I have been pretty busy lately, but I have spent my time away thinking of the next cuisine I want to become unreasonably obsessed with... I have landed on Jerk Chicken/Pork/Goat.

I ordered Pimento wood from Jamaica (a bit of a splurge) and am currently researching recipes and methods. To those more experienced, what are your go to recipes/techniques for Jerk?

I plan on making the rub and any sauce from scratch, just so I can better understand what goes into it... my research started on Serious Eats (https://www.seriouseats.com/2013/08/...n-at-home.html) but I am open to other techniques as well! Previous times I have made Jerk it was good but nothing spectacular. I am now aspiring to spectacular

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here