Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another useful cooking app

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bardsleyque
    commented on 's reply
    I've got the pen, always looking for that scrap of paper!

• IowaGirl
    commented on 's reply
    I'm not good at remembering even short lists. I get to thinkin' too much about various "what ifs" when I shop (what if I got this brand of beans versus another brand?) That is not good when I'm also trying to remember things. I do much better if I just accept my limitations and stick with a written (or electronic) list.

• IowaGirl
    commented on 's reply
    "...Reminders ... Siri. ... Apple Watch..."

I doubt Siri or an Apple watch will ever be on my shopping list. I won't say never, but probably not. I'm fairly tech savvy, but I'm selective on the types of technology I want to use in my daily life. Also we live in rough country in a very rural area, so our satellite internet has limited bandwidth and our cell phone reception can suck. That also affects my tech choices.

• Mosca
    commented on 's reply
    My last car had a thing where it would keep track of the speed limit. I could set it so that if I went over by more than 10mph, it would flash a little sign and make a little chime.

So I got this new car, I’ve had it for a month and Wednesday I got a ticket because I wasn’t paying attention. I was expecting the chime.

• bbqLuv
    commented on 's reply
    Do you count a six-pack as one item? If so, that would leave only two other items on the list.
    I am going to take notes so I don't forget. I get so confused in my old age. The other day I called myself just to see if I were home.

• Mojo0209
    commented on 's reply
    I like pencil and paper myself. Try to stay away from the tech as much as possible, but it ain’t easy.

• SmokingPat
    commented on 's reply
    I was in the produce department at the store the other day, and saw an employee writing notes. I talked to him briefly, then said "What works for you is the best method."

• rickgregory
    commented on 's reply
    "...only if the phone is nearby to make entering items as convenient as possible."

This is why I use Reminders. Siri. Now, I have an Apple Watch as well, so it's uncommon for me to be out of range of my Mac, phone and watch.

I also work on my Mac during the day, so it's actually easier for me to launch Reminders and add things if I think of them than it would be to find paper, etc. And I always have my phone with me in the store (it's how I pay)

• FireMan
    replied
    IowaGirl no shame. I to use a small note piece of paper. But, I try & always am successful in remembering lists, albeit they are not that long usually 4 to 8 items. I refuse to give into the device as my brain. If ya don’t use it you lose it. It is very much like a muscle, your mind can atrophy if allowed to.
    Last edited by FireMan; February 13, 2021, 05:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

• IowaGirl
    commented on 's reply
    And maybe I'm just not seeing all the possibilities and different perspectives.

• IowaGirl
    replied
    I ... um .... hanging my head in shame ... still use pencil and paper.

Hubby and I don't typically live with our phones close to hand, especially in the kitchen. I can truly appreciate that a grocery list app would be useful, but only if the phone is nearby to make entering items as convenient as possible.

As my life goes now, I'd probably end up keeping the same paper list I already do and transcribing it into the phone app. That just seems silly.

Leave a comment:

• rickgregory
    replied
    I just use the native Reminders app on my Mac/iPhone. I have a list called Shopping and Reminders is accessible to Siri, so I can just say "Hey Siri, add sea salt to my shopping list" and it does it.

Note that Paprika has a list feature too. One nice thing about that one is the Pantry feature for staple items.

Leave a comment:

• dwlivesay
    replied
    I guess I must have smaller lists than you guys. I just put what I need on either the to-do or notes app that come pre loaded with my iphone. Of course, when you're primarily a salt, pepper and garlic guy your list isn't usually that long.

Leave a comment:

• snowswamp
    replied
    That’s cool! My spouse got us into Cozi. With the kids, the shared lists and calendar option (compatible with Google) have been really useful for us.

Leave a comment:

• Texas Larry
    replied
    We use AnyList. Works great for multiple lists, synced sharing across two devices, etc.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here