Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another useful cooking app

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another useful cooking app

This is probably my most used app:

Shopping List.

There are dozens of these apps. Mine is by Kiwi3. It says in the description that it contains ads, but mine doesn’t, so somewhere along the line I paid the $3 or whatever to get rid of them. I use this app every single day.

The reason I like it? It is simple and functional. Do you think to yourself, "Next time I’m at the store I need to get sea salt"? Open Shopping List, add sea salt, close app. Just do that, and you’ll never again be driving home and think, "Damn, I forgot the sea salt!"

That is all it does. And that simplicity is what gives it value.

It does do more, within that simplicity: you can make multiple lists. Say you’re going on vacation, and you need sun screen, shorts, a passport photo, etc.: make a list and call it "Vacation". And, it tracks and fills: buy grapes, and the next time you’re making a list and type a "g", it offers "grapes". Don’t want grapes? Just keep typing. You can order your items to fit where they are in the store. You can delete them as you add them to your cart.

The Kiwi3 version does not have cloud capability that I know of, but you can share lists. But you cannot share lists across platforms, ie Apple and Android.

My advice, find one of these that you like, and stick it on your Home Screen. It’s the digital helper that actually helps.

I use one called "Out of Milk". I'm guessing it does the same things. And since I normally keep my phone in my pocket, it's easy to add stuff to a list when I notice something is getting low.

Comment

We’ve been using OurGroceries for while now. There’s so many shopping list and ToDo list apps out there and we’ve gone through several as this seems like a more personalized app as none of them seem to support everything. There’s so many features that vary from app to app outside of the interface itself.

Syncing across devices
      List sharing (syncing across family)
      UPC scanning
      Watch interface (so nice no to have to hold your phone out entire trip through store)
      Alexa, Google, Siri integration
      ...and the list goes on
      Last edited by glitchy; February 13, 2021, 08:26 AM.

Comment

• Mosca
        Mosca commented
        Editing a comment
        It's great that there are a lot of choices; you can find the one that fits the way you work. To me, this is digital memory that is far better than the one providence assigned me!

• glitchy
        glitchy commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, but it’s a pain finding the perfect one as some aren’t free and you shell out a few bucks and find you don’t like it. We usually waste a good amount of time setting it up and trying it for. a while before realizing we just don’t like it or thought it had any a feature it doesn’t. Glad there are all the choices though.

We use AnyList. Works great for multiple lists, synced sharing across two devices, etc.

Comment

That’s cool! My spouse got us into Cozi. With the kids, the shared lists and calendar option (compatible with Google) have been really useful for us.

Comment

I guess I must have smaller lists than you guys. I just put what I need on either the to-do or notes app that come pre loaded with my iphone. Of course, when you're primarily a salt, pepper and garlic guy your list isn't usually that long.

Comment

I just use the native Reminders app on my Mac/iPhone. I have a list called Shopping and Reminders is accessible to Siri, so I can just say "Hey Siri, add sea salt to my shopping list" and it does it.

Note that Paprika has a list feature too. One nice thing about that one is the Pantry feature for staple items.

Comment

I ... um .... hanging my head in shame ... still use pencil and paper.

Hubby and I don't typically live with our phones close to hand, especially in the kitchen. I can truly appreciate that a grocery list app would be useful, but only if the phone is nearby to make entering items as convenient as possible.

As my life goes now, I'd probably end up keeping the same paper list I already do and transcribing it into the phone app. That just seems silly.

Comment

• Mojo0209
                Mojo0209 commented
                Editing a comment
                I like pencil and paper myself. Try to stay away from the tech as much as possible, but it ain’t easy.

• IowaGirl
                IowaGirl commented
                Editing a comment
                "...Reminders ... Siri. ... Apple Watch..."

I doubt Siri or an Apple watch will ever be on my shopping list. I won't say never, but probably not. I'm fairly tech savvy, but I'm selective on the types of technology I want to use in my daily life. Also we live in rough country in a very rural area, so our satellite internet has limited bandwidth and our cell phone reception can suck. That also affects my tech choices.

• bardsleyque
                bardsleyque commented
                Editing a comment
                I've got the pen, always looking for that scrap of paper!

IowaGirl no shame. I to use a small note piece of paper. But, I try & always am successful in remembering lists, albeit they are not that long usually 4 to 8 items. I refuse to give into the device as my brain. If ya don’t use it you lose it. It is very much like a muscle, your mind can atrophy if allowed to.
              Last edited by FireMan; February 13, 2021, 05:56 PM.

Comment

• bbqLuv
                bbqLuv commented
                Editing a comment
                Do you count a six-pack as one item? If so, that would leave only two other items on the list.
                I am going to take notes so I don't forget. I get so confused in my old age. The other day I called myself just to see if I were home.

• Mosca
                Mosca commented
                Editing a comment
                My last car had a thing where it would keep track of the speed limit. I could set it so that if I went over by more than 10mph, it would flash a little sign and make a little chime.

So I got this new car, I’ve had it for a month and Wednesday I got a ticket because I wasn’t paying attention. I was expecting the chime.

• IowaGirl
                IowaGirl commented
                Editing a comment
                I'm not good at remembering even short lists. I get to thinkin' too much about various "what ifs" when I shop (what if I got this brand of beans versus another brand?) That is not good when I'm also trying to remember things. I do much better if I just accept my limitations and stick with a written (or electronic) list.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here