Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leftover wrapping liquid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leftover wrapping liquid

I have mentioned this in passing in a few posts, but I want to give this a try. I wrap almost all of my pork butts and when they are done there is about 8 oz of liquid, I don't use a liquid when I wrap so this is all meat love and has a very wonderful taste, concentrated liquid bark is what it tastes like to me.

So, I am doing a brisket this weekend and my sister asked for pork, since I have no further need for a butt I was gonna do some leftovers (I have about 10 pounds). I want to somehow incorporate this gelatinous wonder liquid into the pork, is it as simple as just glopping it on and letting it all heat up and mix together? It is pretty potent as I mentioned, so should I cut it with another liquid first? Leftover pork to me is pretty terrible, I guess I am really sensitive to some flavor that develops because there is a strong sort of metallic, nearly spoiled milk sort of flavor to it.

Open to suggestions.

Are your leftovers frozen or refrigerated? Are you storing it in a ziplock or vacuum sealed bag? Not sure why you don't like leftover pulled pork. I think it actually tastes better. I catch all my drippings when smoking butts and either put it in my smoked beans or with my pulled pork if I'm not making beans. I just "glop" as much of it as I collect in with the pork in a ziplock or vacuum sealed bag and then refrigerate it or freeze it. To reheat it I just put in in water around 140 - 150 degrees for an hour or so.

Comment

• _John_
      _John_ commented
      Editing a comment
      Next day it's great, after that it starts tasting funny. They are vaccuum sealed. I could just heat them that way, but I want to try using that leftover goodness.

• Dr ROK
      Dr ROK commented
      Editing a comment
      I always add it to the pork before vacuum sealing it. Then when you reheat the meat it melts into the pork as you reheat it.

Here's my thinking......put all your pulled pork into a giant aluminum pan, then pour the liquid love over the top evenly, wrap tight with foil, and into a 300 degree oven for maybe an hour. Then into the cambro and just stir it up well right before serving.

Comment

• _John_
      _John_ commented
      Editing a comment
      I was thinking something like this, but the texture is actually like jello, so it doesn't really poured.

• Stevehtn
      Stevehtn commented
      Editing a comment
      Try heating the brew up before you pour it on. It should all liquify

I always pour the juices back into the meat right after I pull it so I've not dealt with this before but I'd heat the meat and glop separate. Then you can add the heated liquid to taste.

Comment

What I do, is separate the juices out when pulling off the smoker and put in one of those fat separators, out comes the fat. (have to my wife insists) We then use the jello like stuff when reheating the meat in the nuke. It is pure gold, if something goes wrong and no juice, it is a very sad day for us. Or, when vac sealing, put some with the meat and the complete package is ready for reuse down the road. It is a very effective way to store pork and comes out very well 6 months down the road. Beef shoulder, I do the same thing and with equal results. I was actually surprised how good the beef was 4 months after cooking, shocked would be the appropriate term. Vac sealing rocks!

Comment

I hardly ever wrap my butts anymore, but for brisket it's the elixir of magic. I always pour the crutch juice into my sauce pan before I slide the brisket. Magic happens.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here