Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Big difference in temperature readings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TxF
    replied
    From sticking a Fireboard probe in the oven I learned the 350 is really 325-375, it’s never a constant temp like the smoker or grill. The carry over could also be different. In the summer I get 10 degrees on a steak outside temps usually around 90. In the winter it’s 5 if I put it on a plate, 2 or 3 if I set them on a cooling rack above the plate.

Leave a comment:

• Redwng
    replied
    You didn't say what your oven temp was but (from my experience) the higher oven temp may mean more carryover temp. I always figure at least 5 degrees of carryover.

Leave a comment:

• Starsky
    commented on 's reply
    Well, we only hit 9 deg. yesterday so ovening it is! The smoke probe was inserted horizontally to the center. I inserted the Thermo pop vertically to the center and other locations. All readings were higher. It's a mystery

• FireMan
    replied
    Ovening in the evening, we’ll have to look into this.

Leave a comment:

• bbqLuv
    replied
    Cook to perfection, looks between 130-140*f to me.
    The difference in temperature maybe the location of the probe, 141*f closer to the edge, 133*f in the center.
    Pairs well with PBR
    Happy grill to you.
    Cook on a grill it's grilling. But in the oven are you ovening?

Leave a comment:

• Starsky
    started a topic Big difference in temperature readings

Big difference in temperature readings

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210206_183018.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	985833 I did a small venison roast in the oven with the Smoke probe inserted horizontally to the middle. The alarm set for 133 deg. When the alarm went off I removed the roast and verified the temp with my Thermo pop. The reading on the Thermo pop was 141 deg.! I checked both devices in boiling water and the readings were almost identical. What the heck? You can tell by the pic that the roast was definitely creeping past medium.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here