Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oh, is that what we are calling it these days?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, is that what we are calling it these days?

I love tuna, but, especially recently, I don't get a chance to get it fresh. Our local grocery store carries wild-caught ahi tuna out of Indonesia, which are frozen, and aren't too bad.

I always got a chuckle that the tuna always had two ingredients listed: tuna and carbon monoxide. The CO always had immediately behind it in parenthesis the phrase "to promote color retention," lest customers were thinking the tuna was flavored with some poisonous gas.

I was pulling out a tuna steak tonight to start defrosting it when I noticed the ingredients list had slightly changed.

Now it reads: "Tuna (Thunnus albacares), filtered wood smoke (to promote color retention)

I can imagine some marketing person realizing if they just called the preservative what it actually is, some wary consumers might not think they were being minutely poisoned and it would increase sales!

I just thought that the change is absolutely hilarious.
    Last edited by Michael_in_TX; December 29, 2020, 08:39 PM.

For another one, check the ingredients on "uncured" bacon and the like. They usually have celery or something which naturally contains the exact same curing nitrite/nitrate curing agent. By another name not so scary.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      The FSIS will be changing that "vernacular" soon. Final rule will be published I think in May.

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Dihydrogen Monoxide???

Reckon, ah'm Outta here...

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      ROTFl. So true. Not to mention the uncured cost more!

When we lived outside Houston, used to go to Katie's in Galveston for good fresh fish, nothing there from Indonesia.

Comment

• Michael_in_TX
      Michael_in_TX commented
      Editing a comment
      I need to get back down there (it's only 20 miles from my house). I got some of the best red snapper from them one time.

• rickgregory
      rickgregory commented
      Editing a comment
      Dude, you live 20 miles from there and you get tuna from *Indonesia*??? (shakes head sadly)

When I was young and dumb (now I'm older and less dumb) I always got a kick out of frozen fish sticks that said on the bag, of course in fine print, " made from real imitation fish bits". I think that was one of those points in life that I realized I was starting to finally mature. Still bought them anyways, but it at least put me on a path of better awareness.

Comment

I love a good MSG. I put that sh&$ on everything.

I have been known to say "if they wanted bland boring food they would have stayed home to eat."

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Mix in some Liquid Smoke, an ya practically own th Culinary World, HomeSlice! LOL

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        MSG, are you talking about the natural white powder found on seaweed?
        PBR, MSG, Nitrite, Nitrate, are basic food groups, I think.

I like my Tuna in a can, some Mayo, little mustard, and Tony's.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Never Underestimate th Tony's...

Jus Sayin...

YMMV

I (might jus) Cheat, some, throw me some Dukes, pickle Relish, mebbe even some Worsh Yer Sister Sauce, even some Prepared Horseradish up in there, but it's only on accounta I ain't nohow, nowhere as refined, polished, nor sophistimacated as @JerodBroussard ...

Gots me a LONG long way to go, Culture-Wise...

Still makin Hardtack
        Last edited by Mr. Bones; December 30, 2020, 02:27 AM. Reason: brevity

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        If'n / (when) I eats me some tuna, straight outta th can, reckon I puts in some SPOG, mebbe Montreal,pickle juice, splasha Lemon Juice, dasha Tabasco, at times

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        Tuna salad w/ sweet pickle relish.
        BTW salad spelled backward is Dalas.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here