Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This weekend’s brisket cook will be... problematic.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mosca View Post
    I’ve cooked in colder, and I’ve cooked while it’s snowing. But I don’t like having to mush through 15” of drifted snow to get to the cooker. And the deck is icy under it all.

Click image for larger version

Name:	0807BA93-0A9F-4B9C-B1E7-8F2E61481CF9.jpeg
Views:	417
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	957670
    Man up Snow shoes. Think snow shoes. Oh yeah - and a big brush for the table and BGE.

Comment

Originally posted by wu7y View Post

Man up Snow shoes. Think snow shoes. Oh yeah - and a big brush for the table and BGE.
      Yeah, yeah. 😁😁 Already handled!

Name:	IMG_20201218_122522_01.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	958418

Comment

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        I must say, I admire you guys up North. Intestinal fortitude. Here in Houston, a few years ago, we had a little snow, maybe an inch or so at most. They shut down the whole city. STAY HOME! Do not venture out! Danger! Danger! No school either. Y’all would laugh yer ass off if you coulda been here.

• smokin fool
        smokin fool commented
        Editing a comment
        Couple of years ago my wife went to see her sister in Dallas to get away from winter, doesn't it snow a foot plus the night she got there. Like you say city shut down for days, power outages the whole bit.
        I would have laughed but it -28 jillion up here....

• klflowers
        klflowers commented
        Editing a comment
        Here in Chattanooga, if they think it is going to snow everything shuts down.

Frozen shut.

Name:	16083266407485351830396568543138.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	958454

Comment

And it's taking forever to come to temp. Good thing I started early.

Comment

Name:	119F2103-7451-4E47-8AA6-2CD1226B9ADA.jpeg
Views:	197
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	958532

Comment

• Mosca
            Mosca commented
            Editing a comment
            Love it!

Name:	20201218_200058.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	958591

Comment

Looks like you have things well in hand. Just an idea for you... My front porch is painted and gets as slippery as a freshly surfaced ice rink in the winter. I fixed that by buying 10' of carpet runner from the local big box store. It goes out when the leaves turn color, and comes in when the trees bud. As I recall it wasn't more than a couple of dollars per foot

Comment

Not sure I expected this cook to be done at 4:30AM. I certainly didn’t expect it to have almost no stall at all.

Anyone ever cambro for 7 hours?

Name:	0CFB903F-6465-4D20-A441-82852CEBB585.jpeg
Views:	192
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	958732

Comment

Well, I did everything I could to try to screw this up, and yet I have a brisket that wiggles like a jello mold. As good as I am at things like prime rib and steaks, I’m lost with brisket, because I just don’t do them that often, like once every couple three years. I don’t like overnight cooks, too much of a PITA.

Pics when it comes out of cambro.

Comment

I alway split the point ant the flat, but I didn’t do that this time. FOOD1 and FOOD2 are the point and flat, respectively. So I was reading the point for doneness. The flat, that read 191, was actually in the stall; I repositioned the probe and it was at 174! I reprogrammed the CyberQ to 275* and wrapped the butcher paper with foil, to tighten it up, removed the probe from the point so it wouldn’t distract me, and went back to bed.

At 9:30 I cambro’d it, flat at 202. Sliced it at 11:30, and delivered it to the destination!

Im not sure the photos do it justice. This was the moistest, most perfectly textured and flavored brisket I could have made. Click image for larger version

Name:	E390864E-6E02-4900-B9CA-DB4C50FFC589.jpeg
Views:	174
Size:	172.8 KB
ID:	958972

The crumbles are true burnt ends. I cut 2” off the thin end, and the sides of the flat, the parts that had dried out a little, and chopped them and poured some of the melted fat on them.

Name:	054806FF-C487-47C2-B645-2C599745ABCB.jpeg
Views:	210
Size:	198.8 KB
ID:	958971

Comment

• Polarbear777
                    Polarbear777 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Was anyone besides you really in doubt? :-)

• STEbbq
                    STEbbq commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yeah, pretty much what everyone was thinking...

• willxfmr
                    willxfmr commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I wish I was as good at things I don't know how to do as you are. That looks like a killer brisket to me.

Polarbear777 , STEbbq , @willxfmr

Here's why I love this forum! Believe me, I'm just another putz who eats a lot of mistakes, like everyone else.

So, imagine this: it's 3:30 AM. Your point is fast approaching 200. You have always separated your briskets. This time you didn't. You always inject briskets. This time you didn't. Your cook is going sideways, it's 10* outside and you woke up from a deep sleep and your mind is in a fog! This isn't what you thought would happen! What do you do!!???!!

You search the Pit master forum. And you find this:

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...gher-than-flat

And the answer is: calm down. It's doing what it is supposed to do, you just don't recognize it.

That's when I reset the probe in the flat (actually I put the point probe in a different part of the flat and discovered the temp diff, and pulled the original flat probe). And I ignored the point. And everything did what it is supposed to do: it turned into brisket!

I like to reduce things that seem complicated. I always think, "It's a big piece of meat. Cook it." And that's true. But there's always something that sows doubt, and that is that there's an investment. We either spent a lot of money (prime rib, Wagyu steaks, lobster, bought a lot of special ingredients to use once, etc) or invested a lot of time (overnight or all day brisket, or an involved multiple day recipe process), or have an emotional investment in the outcome (big gathering, living up to a boast, etc).

The Pitmaster Forum hive mind solved my questions and led me to the answer. I did it with the help of my sisters and brothers here. If I take any credit, I'll take credit for knowing where to search for an answer, then following it. Thanks, friends.
                  Last edited by Mosca; December 20, 2020, 12:20 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here