Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Understanding cuts of meat (beef, pork, lamb)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Understanding cuts of meat (beef, pork, lamb)

I have to admit real ignorance here. I have a vague understanding of some cuts of meat -- I know where a brisket is on a steer, and generally where ribeye is; I could probably locate picnic shoulder on a hog, and a leg on a lamb. I think I understand primals. But I don't have a real grasp of what sub-primal cuts come from within a primal, or how to work with a large piece of meat like a rib roast to break it down into more manageable pieces.

I've googled and found a fair amount out there, but I'm not sure who to trust, or where to find the level of detail I want. I'd like to find a book -- like a Butcher's Assistant 101 -- with pictures and graphics and arrows and things explaining what everything is (I was going to quote Alice's Restaurant here) so I don't have to just go by the label on the package.

Any suggestions?

This chart might get you started https://www.beefitswhatsfordinner.com/cuts/cut-charts

I also like this book which I gave to my kids many years ago: https://smile.amazon.com/Butchering-...3496042&sr=8-2
    Last edited by Donw; October 23, 2020, 05:37 PM. Reason: Added book

Comment

• Ann-Marie in the backyard
      Ann-Marie in the backyard commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you -- those charts are a big help. I may order the book, as well.

Someone here linked to the bearded butcher series on YouTube and those were great to watch. They take you through the butchering process and show what cuts come from where. I only watched the cow and pig episodes.

Comment

• Dewesq55
      Dewesq55 commented
      Editing a comment
      You beat me too it. Whatchu a color of Bearded Butchers videos. There's at least one in butchering a steer and another on a whole hog. Very detailed and informative.

• Starsky
      Starsky commented
      Editing a comment
      They make it look so easy

Originally posted by Andrrr View Post
    Someone here linked to the bearded butcher series on YouTube and those were great to watch. They take you through the butchering process and show what cuts come from where. I only watched the cow and pig episodes.
    This is the video IIRC. Good stuff on their Youtube channel:

Comment

• Andrrr
      Andrrr commented
      Editing a comment
      I knew someone would swoop in and provide the link. Thanks rickgregory I might just have to watch them again. It’s always so fun watching people who are masters of their craft.
      Last edited by Andrrr; October 23, 2020, 08:27 PM. Reason: Spellcheck

• Skip
      Skip commented
      Editing a comment
      +1 on the Bearded Butcher Videos.

• Ann-Marie in the backyard
      Ann-Marie in the backyard commented
      Editing a comment
      Watching the Bearded Butchers (beef) video now. This is fascinating.

I've butchered scores of animals, but the AR (the original one) reference makes me want to go ride my motorcy......cle.

Comment

The Bearded Butchers, shows the break down of the different cuts of meat.

Comment

I bought Cutting Up In The Kitchen years, and I mean years, ago and learned a lot. Easy to read. You've motivated me to take a look at it. Out of print but may be available used. Here's Amazon's listing: https://www.amazon.com/Cutting-Up-Ki...s%2C132&sr=8-1

Comment

Thank you all very much! Between the videos, the charts and the books I'll learn the basics better and have more idea of how to break down larger cuts. The Bearded Butchers videos are great, but I do like having a book to sit down and read slowly. Cookbooks are as least as good reading as science fiction!

Comment

A great many of the web sites are confusing and just down right wrong. Remember, you don't have to know anything to have a web page. Also adding to the confusion is different retailers of meat in different locations call the same cut of meat by different names. And lastly, there are the hipster craft retailers who just flat out lie or spread disinformation in order to jack up profits.

Learning where the cuts come from can lead to better meat purchases and some savings.

If you want a book, I recommend "Cutting Up in the Kitchen" by Merle Ellis. He's was a real butcher and had a show on PBS for a few years.

Also, the U.S. Department of Agriculture has a site for the Institutional Meat Purchase Specifications, https://www.ams.usda.gov/grades-standards/imps.

Comment

What an amazing bunch of resources you guys & gals have shared! Thank you! I've stickied this post.

Comment

Whole Beast Butchery by Ryan Farr is pretty good, though I wish there was a bit more explanation. Paired with the Bearded Butchers videos I think it's a pretty good resource.

Also The Scott Rea Project on YouTube. He's an English butcher so the cuts aren't quite the same, but he's got tons of videos about breaking down various animals. Lotsa great stuff.

Comment

Worth a bump!

Comment

• Richard Chrz
                  Richard Chrz commented
                  Editing a comment
                  This is always worth a bump!

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here